Sdkfz 184 Schwerer Jagdpanzer "Elephant"

Today's Pachyderm poking - first adding the upper hull

P1010984.JPG

P1010985.JPG

I've got the Tamiya Zimmerit Sheet 

P1010986.JPG

After 4 Hours of cutting and sticking it's on - They do work nicely, but needed to use a couple of dabs of CA on the edges. I do wish Tamiya had cut them out though, all the holes are a pain.

P1010987.JPG

P1010988.JPG

P1010990.JPG

P1010991.JPG

Peter

• Like 2

That's a very neat job you've done on the Zimmerit, although I'm wondering if it's TOO neat? I suppose it depends on how you are going to depict the Elefant, beat up and dirty, or fresh to the fight? You could ask why Tamiya don't cut out the holes, OR make 'beaten up' Zimmerit as well?

I have their Tiger I Zimmerit sheets for the future, and I'm wondering how easy it would be to 'beat them up'? Have you tried?

I am looking forward to seeing how you progress because you are producing a tidy looking beast and I can't wait to see how you weather it.

Following,

Rearguards,

Badder

This weekends work - First another moan about the vinyl Zimmerit. After a week some of the edges started to peel, especially where it has gone over a curved surface, so i'm less impressed with it than before.

Anyway distressed some of the edges with a scalpel, and added the 3 decals.

On with a filter to tie the cammo together

P1000014.JPG

P1000016.JPG

Then a pin wash

P1000017.JPG

P1000018.JPG

Then finally added some dirt / mud around the running gear

P1000019.JPG

P1000020.JPG

Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

How did you do that pre-shading?  That looks pretty impressive and you could almost leave it at that stage and call it a burned out Elefant.

I really like the faded camo, that's much better than the too bright too high contrast camo seen on some vehicles.  I think the idea was to blend in not stand out like a

billboard.

I've never built an Elefant or a Ferdinand but may give it a try and hope it turns out half as good.

Lloyd

Organised chaos on the bench peter i bet you know where every thing is though, like badder i also  have some tamiya zimmerit stickers for a tiger 1 mid,  its the first time I've  seen it applied and under a coat of paint ,i  was in two minds as to use it or not, but  i like the effect, looks like wicking around the edges with thin ca would help,  nice job on the paint and weathering too peter looking good , 

Glynn

This is very nice work.  I like the cam scheme.  Tamiya still seem to be able to 

However, I think you've only reinforced my concerns about self-adhesive and decal-type Zimmerit and other surface effects such as those by Archer.  Durability.  Or lack thereof.  How long will it last now without flaking or peeling?  I really hope it doesn't do that and spoil your efforts: that would be incredibly frustrating.  But look at the problems over time with the durability of Dragon Styrene that were not foreseen. 

I think Tamiya's Zimmerit also looks a bit too soft, which is certainly a limitation of the production process.  In reality it is quite rough and ragged.  Tamiya are clearly not averse to doing deals with other manufacturers with the amount of re-boxing they currently do.  Perhaps their best option would have been to do a deal with Atak for their resin Zimmerit, but that doesn't play to the simpler end of the market.  I don't like the Eduard etched brass Zimmerit at all.

On one of my build blogs I've questioned the base colour of some tracks, most particularly those with a manganese content.  But here's a pic of the Patton Museum Elefant at Bovington which clearly shows rust on the tracks.  So, not manganese steel.  In the lower photo the black effect looks to me like a chemical blackening rather than a paint.  Possibly hot oil bathed. 

There are some interesting rust patches and streaks in unexpected places on this vehicle too.  Armour plate, again, shouldn't rust readily - in this case because of the accretion of carbon to the outer face.  That implies a low-quality alloy here, or a too-short heat treatment.  The silvering on the hit scars is paint.  Both of the vertical fishplates at the front of the casemate are cracked fully through, and both are rusting at the crack.  I've got more walk-round photos if anyone wants me to post them.

pOmjruQ.jpg

MFvzG7z.jpg