Qatar to buy Typhoon

Meatbox8

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just curious here and not trying to step on anyones toes. But did anyone stop to think that maybe just maybe they're going to buy these wait till they're all delivered, and then Re-sell them to Iran ? I mean they're having trouble with the other Gulf nations because of support for Terrorism? They're supporting the same groups Iran is materially & financially? Well its food for thought considering its probably pretty hard for the Iranians to get certain types of equipment.  

I sincerely doubt it. Quite aside from the fact it would ensure that no first-world nation would ever sell anything to them ever again (while their hostile neighbours received more modern and advanced equipment continuously), the Iranians have enough trouble maintaining the elderly US aircraft from the 1970s that they do have, and they don't have access to any of the munitions that make these aircraft such useful platforms. Plus, why would the Iranians bother with Qatar, when they could get brand-spanking new F-16IQs from Iraq, a country that the US can't abandon without embarrassing political consequences?

10 hours ago, XV107 said:

Strictly speaking, he made a commitment to reopen the fighter competition; the F-35 could still win. The plan went a bit awry when the RCAF pointed out that their legacy Hornets won't get to the in service date for the new fighter type, so the idea of the interim package was born. There's a Canadian chap posting over on Arrse [the British Army Rumour Service for the uninitiated]  ('Terminal') who knows his stuff on this, and if you have time, his posts are worth a read. In essence, though, going for an interim fighter pretty much meant that the answer was the Super Hornet. Then, the dispute with Boeing erupted, and now...

Typhoon would appear to be the ideal fit; I have had this view expressed by two RCAF officers, both of whom then added words to the effect of 'of course, as our procurement record since the 1950s shows, the fact that it's just the airplane for the job means it has no chance of being selected, eh?'

Plus ca change.  I suppose it's a small comfort to know we are not the only country with a poor procurement record.  Would be a real coup for Eurofighter to get a Canadian order though.  If this Boeing thing has really kicked off and the legacy Hornets are approaching their out of service date then logic would suggest immediate and urgent purchase of a few Typhoons.  After all, they need to be built first.  I suspect that it will still be the F-35 that gets the nod though.  They are getting 'cheaper' after all.

• Like 1

Hello

No re-sale of fighters between Qatar and Iran. Since dispute between countries on Arabian peninsula (about which phrase ˝pot calling kettle black˝ comes to mind) there may have been slight thaw in Qatar - Iran relationship. But this is temporary ˝my enemy's enemy is my friend˝ sort of improvement. And, just like Procopius said, Iran does not need another fighter type which it cannot support and maintain. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just curious here and not trying to step on anyones toes. But did anyone stop to think that maybe just maybe they're going to buy these wait till they're all delivered, and then Re-sell them to Iran ? I mean they're having trouble with the other Gulf nations because of support for Terrorism? They're supporting the same groups Iran is materially & financially? Well its food for thought considering its probably pretty hard for the Iranians to get certain types of equipment.  

It would take a spectacular shift in policy and Qatari thinking for them to go for an option which would put them on Uncle Sam's naughty step for the next, ooh, 50-100 years... Their linkage with the same groups as Iran is a theological one, whereas their links with the west are pragmatic, political ones. They want to be an influential state in the Gulf despite their size, and being on the wrong side of the argument with the US isn't on their agenda. They've got the CAOC¹ at Al-Udeid, and see the US as a critical part of their security. They're trying to balance the fact that their political and business interests point towards the west (particularly the US) and the fact that their theological interests put them on the same side as Iran. In my experience of working with some of their officers over the past couple of decades, they manage to compartmentalise this potentially awkward dichotomy with surprising ease...

¹ CAOC = Combined Air Operations Centre

Edited by XV107
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Typhoon production for the launch customers is running down, or has already run down:  BAe Systems and their partners don't want to close the line overnight and the Qataris probably don't want their aircraft delivered in one big batch either, so jobs will be shed progressively as the order is fulfilled.  Unfortunately Warton doesn't seem to have a lot of work in its future: the pitiful dregs of F-35 work isn't going to keep the entire workforce busy and you can bet your (sea) boots that Boeing aren't going to offer any offsets on the Po-seidon contract, especially after Airbus have moved in with Bombardier over the C-series kerfuffle.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...