Modelling session - A splash of colour for the table!

Every now and again a few of my modelling mates have a little get together at someone's place and bash plastic. 

To be honest, the actual modelling output is quite minimal, as we mainly chat, eat chips and pizza and down a few beers - we do however inspire each other to crack on with some of those S.O.Doomers  

Last weekend the modelling mojo planets seemed to line up, so I decided to host this motley lot at my place.

Before kick-off, the house needed a bit of a tidy up and as I was placing the arrangements on the table I noticed something not quite right.   

Not having the time to buy flowers (as if?), I decided to bring out some of my brighter builds in order to add a splash of colour to the table - here is the result and that S.O.D SEAC Mossie that I'm trying hard to complete!.

Even though I find Plastic Modelling to be quite an isolated hobby, it's always great to get a few like-minded friends together to spur each other on.

This is the part of modelling I enjoy most. Looking forward to the next sesh! 

37109705946_1957439bc5_b.jpg37109722496_27490f6eba_b.jpg37109723896_e27a848420_b.jpg

• Like 55

A beautiful collection.  Some of my favourites amongst those.....   especially the Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream flavour (arf arf)!  The Mossie's coming along very nicely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Beautiful models - better than flowers (though my missus would disagree!) :rofl:

It's been a while since I attended a hobby get-together like you describe. 

Agree with you how they often turn into chat-fests, more than model building sessions!  Still fun though!

• Like 1

G'day (or evening) Rabbit Leader,

It's a lovely colourful collection and it's great if you have some eats along with some mates - plus beer preferably.

Can you kindly advise the paint you used on The Red Pelicans Jet Provost airyplane. I believe the early team had the aircraft finished in a Dayglo? Orange finish before the Red paint was applied later. I'm in the course of building the Airfix kit you see and your input would be much appreciated.  I believe The Red Pelicans early team had an RAAF pilot too. A case of Per Ardua ad Astra Aussie ha ha. Best wishes and keep on building lovely models.

albamac:viking:(frustrated Norseman)

• Like 1

Great collection,when we were kid's and bought our Saturday morning kit's we used to build them at one or other's dining table usually four

of us,nice to see that practice continue,Pity I'm the only one of us still sticking plastic together!:tumble:

• Like 2

Good evening Albamac, 

Thanks for the comments regarding my Red Pelicans Jet Provost. 

My own research led me to believe that for the 1963 season these early Pelicans were painted in Dayglo Red overall.

I believe that the wingtip tanks were painted Silver with Dayglo Red strips from 1964, which was then changed to a Post Office Red (like the Airfix Starter kit) for the 1966 season.

Regarding paints - these days I almost exclusively use Gunze Lacquers and the red that I used for this kit was Mr. Color 171 Fluorescent Red. 

The most important bit is to first apply an even base coat of white before you go anywhere near the top coat. I just used Mr. Color Matt White for this step. 

I will admit, the fluoro paint is a pain to use. It is very translucent and does not take too kindly to brush touch ups here and there. I even bought an enamel version and had no luck.

Should you need to touch up some areas, you will just need to respray any areas until your happy.

It also is a bugger to photograph properly. The daytime shots are not too bad, however I've just taken some photos under indoor lights and it looks nothing like the real thing.  

I've added a video link that shows these jets nice and close. I chose to model XP573 (49) and made slight modifications to the basic kit to represent a T.4. 

She is not 100% complete - a few decals and antennas to apply, so I might post this as an RFI when I eventually get there. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers.. Dave  

P.S - I did not know about the RAAF pilot, so thanks for that information - it kinda brings it closer to home. 

• Like 2

My kind of splash of colour Dave, wish I lifted in your neighbourhood, that sounds like my kind of get together. :) The models are all impressively nice looking but I do like the Mustang, very smart in that scheme yet if I'd seen a profile of it I'd have probably glanced at it & moved on.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve. The ‘Stang’ is the good old Airfix kit with very minor adjustments to make it a CA-18 (I won’t bore you with the differences). Decals are from Red Roo and are very nice to use. I’ve got a soft spot for civil Mustangs, although decals aren’t exactly readily available for most of the other Aussie schemes. 

Shame your not exactly around the corner either, although poor Mrs Hanna would probably be sick to death of all the plane chat!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Really nice collection there :goodjob: nice 'Mossie' too hope to start mine soon.

Guy

• Thanks 1

I love the CA-18 Mustang VH-AUB I remember seeing her in Melbourne a lifetime ago. She was highly polished and in immaculate condition  even then before the Warbird movement got started and she is still on the register today and based in Scone NSW.. The book "Southern Cross Mustangs is an invaluable source for information on Aussie civil Mustangs having many 1/72 scale drawings of these subjects. I modelled VH-FCB by coping her markings on to decal paper from the book and being just silver with black lettering found it to be an easy task.

Well Done,   Trev.  (vh-bob)

• 11 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:16, Rabbit Leader said:

Every now and again a few of my modelling mates have a little get together at someone's place and bash plastic. 

To be honest, the actual modelling output is quite minimal, as we mainly chat, eat chips and pizza and down a few beers...

If I ever get back to Brisbane I'll definitely be popping round to your place 🍻

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BIG X said:

If I ever get back to Brisbane I'll definitely be popping round to your place 🍻

It would be an honour to have you over, Steve. You could give us a good lesson on realistic vehicle weathering, although might be best to leave your latest diorama piece at home, the missus would have kittens if she saw that huge thing in the house!! 

Cheers and thanks for the latest round of comments.. Dave 

• Like 1

Great centre piece Dave. 

I cant believe you find modelling an isolated affair, when you have the Britmodeller Massive with you. Probably better in sprit than round your place. Not nearly enough snacks :giggle:

• Haha 1

Nice collection there Dave, superb finishes.  Can't wait to see the Mossie finished.

Suggested to the wife that we do a similar small display next time we have company round, you can guess what the reply was!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great centre piece Dave. 

I cant believe you find modelling an isolated affair, when you have the Britmodeller Massive with you. Probably better in sprit than round your place. Not nearly enough snacks :giggle:

You're probably right there H, the nice BM crowd always seem to be there give or take a few hours for timezone differences.

It's a nice place to visit and good inspiration to crack on with the many kits in the stash.

16 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Nice collection there Dave, superb finishes.  Can't wait to see the Mossie finished.

Suggested to the wife that we do a similar small display next time we have company round, you can guess what the reply was!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Davey's wife's reply - "Of course honey, lets bring in the larger table and invite all our fremds and relatives? "

Now this, and a few of my other old threads have been resurrected from the archives for some strange reason - just under 12 months ago to be exact.

Your all gonna kill me, however although I did progress the Mossie a fair bit back then it's still not quite finished! Perhaps this is the trigger I need to get it past the finishing line?

Cheers and thanks to all.. Dave

.. Might just have to do a Part 2 version in a month or two?

Ah yes - the Plonk and Plastic weekend as it is known among the group of modellers who meet up at each other's homes in Central West NSW! Its a great way of sharing ideas, grog and a bit of chatter and jokes. Its also great deal quieter than my wife's scrap-booking or quilting group, which sounds like a tree full of lorikeets when it gets going! ( relying on SWMBO not reading this! yes, dear, ouch!!).

Love the centre-piece and will use the idea the next time our P'n'P group meets if you don't mind a bit of imitation , the most sincere form of flattery I'm told.

Your Mossie os looking mighty fine from here - lovely paint job.

• Haha 1