Airfix 1/76 Control Tower

Michael51

Hello Michael, if i could trouble you i have a future project im just gathering information and Materials for. I presume since its Airfix = RAF Field Tower? Is it a current catalogue option ? Or is it a Classic offering ? If its Classic and unavailable currently could i trouble you for the Dimensions of the walls & floors ? And possibly a photo ?  Its 1/76th i need 1/72nd its close enough for my needs. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I hope this reply is of some help.

First, by 'current catalogue option ', I presume you mean 'is it currently available in the USA? '. I simply do not know.

Second, as far as I can tell, it is not in current production by Airfix. Being in the colonies (Australia), I purchased mine on evil bay, as that was the best way to get it.

Three, I understand that the Airfix kit is not the most accurate representation of an RAF control tower. As I have mentioned in other posts, perhaps to the dismay of some forum members, being an Arts graduate, I am quite happy with 'representational ' forms of the real thing. This means that for me, the Airfix kit will more than suffice.

Four, have a look at the Hannants site if you want what I believe is  the quintessential RAF 1/72 control tower kit. I would not try it as etched / PE stuff sends me balmy but here is a link:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=&keyword_search=raf+control+tower&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&restore_search=&save_search_active=yes&save_search_name=&save_search=

Five, as an interim measure, check this google link for illustrations of the Airfix control tower:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=airfix+control+tower&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-gbAU755AU755&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF8Jjb-q3WAhUMgLwKHcC0ApIQ_AUICigB&biw=1707&

Six, the front and back of the Airfix version measures 100mm.

Seven, the sides measure the same: 100mm.

I know you chaps still use inches etc, and I wish we did too, but we have gone metric so you may need to convert these measurements.

I am in the process of building an Airfix pre-war Blenheim Mk I bomber variant and the control tower simultaneously - hence my original post about pre-war control tower colour schemes.

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
  • Thanks 1

Michael

This is a model of the period Watch Office seen at many airfields pre-war. Drawing No. 1959/34.

Colours based on what was seen on a difference Watch office but painted such at the outbreak of war.

31736731603_076b392395.jpg

This latter Watch office 518/40 was built after the outbreak of war . . .

31838597513_b95c6bb4f5.jpg

This is a copy of a number of Watch Office/ Control Towers that I have drawings for to 4mm scale . . . Drwg No. 343/43

26277136575_3c97cf0317.jpg

The Airfix Control tower could be improved by either reducing the bottom section so that the balcony is self supporting OR extend the top section to be in-line with the bottom and have the balcony self supporting again.

Hope this helps.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed building my Airfix control tower but having said that it is as others have pointed a representation. To somebody that wanted to build something more accurate from this old Airfix kit I would say that they would probably be better off just using the stairs, doors and windows etc that are included in the kit and making the building itself from that textured plastic used by model railway people. Speaking personally I didn't mind the shape of the building, it was more the texture of it's concrete walls that I was unhappy with.

Not much point in building a really accurate control tower if it doesn't match the aircraft sat next to it though. I would one day like to build a collection of aircraft based at New Forest airfields, no point me building a Ibsley control tower and parking Stoney Cross based Lancasters or Holmsley based Marauders next to it. I would need a selection of different towers to fit the different airfields and units.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Michael

This is a model of the period Watch Office seen at many airfields pre-war. Drawing No. 1959/34.

Colours based on what was seen on a difference Watch office but painted such at the outbreak of war.

31736731603_076b392395.jpg

This latter Watch office 518/40 was built after the outbreak of war . . .

31838597513_b95c6bb4f5.jpg

This is a copy of a number of Watch Office/ Control Towers that I have drawings for to 4mm scale . . . Drwg No. 343/43

26277136575_3c97cf0317.jpg

The Airfix Control tower could be improved by either reducing the bottom section so that the balcony is self supporting OR extend the top section to be in-line with the bottom and have the balcony self supporting again.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Ian, 

Thanks for your very helpful reply and superb models.

I will paint it accordingly.

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers