P-47 Mystery decals

SoftScience

I got this is the Hasegawa P-47D decal sheet, but it has no instructions. Other than Pengie II, I don't recognize any of the other markings. Can anybody tell me what goes with what? If you have a scan of the instruction sheet, it would be extremely helpful. 

IMG_20170917_202051048.jpg

It appears to me that what you have there is a set of Hasegawa decals, but not from a kit. I found an old thumbnail on a google search using the number on the bottom, 72-023 which showed a sheet of these on ebay, alas the auction is now defunct, top line 2nd from right if it shows the same for you as for me, its hard to be sure with google searchs. The sheet seems to have decals for Razorback P-47Ds as well as bubble top ones, though I wouldn't be too adamant on that either. HV-N Dee from memory is the same as an earlier boxing of the Airfix Razorback. Hope someone else can bring more info to light.

Steve.

Steven is correct; the decal sheet is a special edition from Hasegawa. I can help you with the identities of some of the markings choices; hopefully somebody will have the instructions that came with the decals and can fill in the missing bits or scan the instructions for you. I was able to find the following:

HV-M P-47D-28 42-75140 Pengie II 61st FS 56th FG, flown by Mike Gladych (a razorback)

HV-N P-47M 44-21195 Dee 61st FS 56th FG 9a bubbletop)

5F-E P-47D-5 42-8693 5th ERS (a razorback)

IA-R P-47D-28  44-20243 366th FS 358th FG (a bubbletop)

Hope this gets you started!

Mike

Whoops- my mistake! Pengie II was a P-47D-10RE. Thanks for the callout, Chuck! Also found a site with excellent Jug references I hope some of you will find useful!

Mike

http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47-2.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected aircraft block number
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Steven is correct; the decal sheet is a special edition from Hasegawa. I can help you with the identities of some of the markings choices; hopefully somebody will have the instructions that came with the decals and can fill in the missing bits or scan the instructions for you. I was able to find the following:

HV-M P-47D-28 42-75140 Pengie II 61st FS 56th FG, flown by Mike Gladych (a razorback)

-snip-

Hope this gets you started!

Mike

If HV-M is a D-28, it is a bubbletop. The serial number though makes it a D-23 RA which would have been a razorback and from the white codes apparently camouflaged

65 X and the yellow lightning bolts are from a unit in the Med.  The fin and rudder were painted a medium blue with the yellow lightning bolts.  At the moment the exact identification of the unit escapes me, I'm thinking either the 78th,79th or 325th FG.  Darn this getting to be an old bugger!

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

Steve wasn't all correct though, the bit about the P-47 Dee being the old Airfix razorback was a pure fabrication, or the result of early onset senile dementia. :D The Early Airfix razorback was Penrod & Sam as modelled by our own Cmatthewbacon, HV-N Bree belonged to the 61st Fighter squadron, 56th Fighter group. & was a bubbletop P-47M as 72modeller says above. I'm enjoying this thread, I love a mystery story. :) Damned if I know where I got the idea that Bree was the old Airfix one though, there's something bout the nose art that rings a bell with me but hanged if I can find it. :unsure: 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Sorry - just have schemes and decals for HV * A and S. Hopefully some clues for placement though

Academy

36486913343_2f485c22d3_b.jpg

37128068552_18fe608b61_b.jpg

Revell

37301617265_b021cb74db_b.jpg

37109907736_11b950275c_b.jpg

36902976560_aa78e7fc79_b.jpg

Both 61st Squadron, 56th Group, 8th Air Force so maybe reasonable guidance

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Thanks 1

P-47M 44-21195 HV-N "Dee"  is in the all over upper black over NMf undersides finish. HV-M is razorback OD over neutral grey.  Check out the' little friends' website.

9 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

If HV-M is a D-28, it is a bubbletop. The serial number though makes it a D-23 RA which would have been a razorback and from the white codes apparently camouflaged

Mike had more than one  Jug coded HV-M. The one shown on the decal sheet was a D-10  in OD/neutral grey, Pengie II and  another was a D-28, 42-19718, in dark sea grey, medium sea grey over sky, Pengie IV, but had red  codes outlined in white and red serial numbers. Another was a P-47M, coded HV-M, 44-21127, also Pengie IV, in midnight blue over natural metal, with red serials and red codes outlined in white.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p-47d-28-re-sn44-19718-flown-by-boleslaw-m-gladych.37057/

Thanks for all the tips, guys. 

I'm really interested in this Italian option, with the thunderbolts on the tail. Alas, it looks like the actual aircraft might have also had a large horse painted on the side, and the name Trojan Warrior. At least according to some drawings I've found on the web. Haven't seen any actual photos yet. 

22 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Thanks for all the tips, guys. 

I'm really interested in this Italian option, with the thunderbolts on the tail. Alas, it looks like the actual aircraft might have also had a large horse painted on the side, and the name Trojan Warrior. At least according to some drawings I've found on the web. Haven't seen any actual photos yet. 

I think this is the one you mean; however, the color profiles on this site are not always the most accurate or are documented. Pretty wild markings, though! This might give you a leg up on searching for a photo to confirm the profile. Scroll down the profiles to The Trojan Warhorse, 79th FG.

Mike

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/3/13

I found a photo! Too bad it doesn't show the whole airplane!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7083/7117845777_2b5191c2a2_b.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information and photo

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I think this is the one you mean; however, the color profiles on this site are not always the most accurate or are documented. Pretty wild markings, though! This might give you a leg up on searching for a photo to confirm the profile. Scroll down the profiles to The Trojan Warhorse, 79th FG.

Mike

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/3/13

I found a photo! Too bad it doesn't show the whole airplane!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7083/7117845777_2b5191c2a2_b.jpg

In either case, it doesn't look like the Hasegawa sheet has it right. Oh well. Something to look for in the future, though.