Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

44 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

old memories get a bit fuzzy...

So true!

Like abat above I used Google as I for of the life of me couldn't remember what a Huck bolt looked like. 

Don't think I need to worry too much about them in 1/72.

• Like 3

Thanks for the compliments guys.  After the week of traveling hell it was nice to get back to the basement.

It's a bit of a mixed bag this update - it started off reasonably well and I was really happy with how the fire extinguisher turned out. Isn't it amazing how something so simple can make you feel good.  I also remembered to add the missing ribs from the  cabin bulkhead.

PA140001.jpg

Here in all it's macro-fied fugliness is the cabin bulkhead.  Nasty I call it.

From all the research I have done, these panels were never painted with anything approaching neatness and the black anti-slip coating always looked like it was applied with the hangar floor brush.  However, when you try to replicate an untidy finish, it always looks like the proverbial pile of.. doesn't it?  I'll console myself with the fact that it's better than the kit offering.  Some weathering wouldn't go amiss though.  Definitely a lot happier with the extinguisher - I had to search to find a bit of green transfer to use as the label and ended up stealing a bit from a sometime future Whirlwind build.  The clamp is made from flattened lead wire, and I finished the extinguisher head off with some model master jet exhaust.  I thought brass paint looked too well, brassy.

PA150002.jpg

A few bits of paint here and there. Valves and unions were highlighted in flat aluminum and steel with a little dab of red and yellow here and there to try and pose as labeling on the tubing. I also added two small gems as exit lights with several dollops of clear red to try and darken them down a bit.

The port side was then given a gloss coat followed by some Flory washes.  It's looking a bit gruesome in this photo - particularly around the windows.  Try as I might, I just couldn't stop the old age tremble when trying to paint the "rubber" surround.  Thankfully, most of the mess is on masking tape, but I might still try and tidy it up a bit more.  Oh, just in case you were wondering - the washes have not been cleaned up yet.  Honestly....

PA150004.jpg

Then back to the bulkhead again.  The small T handled thingy was added, along with another sort of nose shaped protuberance just below the extinguisher.

Then... Something I had completely forgotten about and did not include in my last Wessi build, was the fire axe.  I came across it in a photo the other day - a fire axe and a small object from Messrs. Smith & Severin ...aka

987fa43804435d1b8dcab92b526b947d--robert

I completely missed them in my last build.

So, in process additional bits....

PA160009.jpg

Then the only way I could think to try and make a glove was to use a bit of milliput.  There are some folks on this site who are amazing sculptors, and I know for certain that I will never be one of those.  However, with a bit of fettling, filing, sanding, painting and weathering, I might be able to make one of these attempts look something like a glove, especially when I hide it behind some webbing straps.  Time will tell.    (what a clipe that time can be)

PA160010.jpg

and while the milliput was mixed I used the leftovers to try and start on the ducting - looks like it needs a bit more work.

PA160011.jpg

Not really a great deal of progress, but at least heading in the right direction.  I shall now head off and clean up some of those washes.

• Like 23

Brilliant

?   Future Whirlwind build huh?

Excellent!

🎆 📯📣🎯🎺.  🍺🍺⛅🚁

🆒🆗. ✔✅✔

Not as I'm fed up with Walter, cos I ain't, but the 'other one' is a great favourite of mine

Back on the subject of our present affections, those little red lights

Brilliant, I love 'em

• Thanks 1

My only experience in the Wessex is....to get tho the flightdeck at the FAA Museum at Yeovilton...:tmi:, but the interior you're adding to this model is truly realistic and the weathering is spot on.

Can't wait for the next update!

Ciao Massimo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2017 at 8:45 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

We were banned from using pencils on bare metal airframes.

The graphite caused dissimilar metal corrosion!

The story related back to an incident where a roundel had

been marked out, and eventually the circle fell out of the fuselage.

True or not, it made you think!

I was sceptical about this myself as graphite is sp2 hybridised Carbon and not a metal, but then I remembered that the hybridisation leads to a lot of free electrons not used in forming the Carbon atoms into layers.  The result I gather is that graphite is electrically conducting.  Under those circumstances I might be inclined to believe that story.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 5

More excellent interior work there hendie - agree with t'others about the fire putter outer - and I think you've well and truly thrown down the gauntlet in the making of scratch built gloves! :)

Top stuff!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Smell The Glove is here!  [Spinal Tap - like you needed telling]

You are starting to rival the Heath-meister in the beauty of your fire extinguishers.  Having seen that, I am glad that my crude effort is almost completely hidden in the depths of the cockpit of a Sea King build which is paused.  By the time it re-emerges into the light,  yours will be but a distant memory.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, small bursts seem to be the order of the day.   I managed just a short spell in the dungeon today as Gotham is on the box tonight and I have to make dinner as well - so I need to make sure it's ready in time for my weekly viewfest. Gotta love that Penguin fellow.

Continuing with internals, I started adding some addition boxes and hydraulics on the starboard side, this time in a darker grey (it was a later mod and the paint didn't match  :whistle:) It looks very blue in this photo - trust me it looks better in the flesh. 

PA190008.jpg

While on the port side, a quick burst of matt finish toned down the proceedings and looked much better - then the leccies and fairies have started adding their gubbinses - untidy lot that they are. I'm not quite sure where those wires are going to end up yet so I left enough length on them to be able to tuck them away somewhere later. 

I also removed the masking tape from the rearmost window to see if I had any paint bleed - w00t !  None that I can see.  It also makes the "rubber" surround look a lot neater.  Now I must remember to mask it back up again so it doesn't get all messed up.

Oh - the masking tape on the ducting is supposed to look like the duct insulation.

PA180003.jpg

and when painted up... looks passable for me.  I used a variety of blacks to break it up a bit and to differentiate between materials - well that's my excuse.

PA190007.jpg

Then the glove !   Here's wot I ended up with.  I actually tried painting aged concrete as the main color, then some tan color I had lying around, trying to represent the leather on the glove(s).  It doesn't really show up in this scale. After the precision paint job, I added a Flory wash all over and finished off with some masking tape sliced thin and painted green to masquerade as webbing. The third strip is hardly visible, but I'm leaving as is 'cos I don't see me getting any better.  (and I must see to those cuticles...)

PA190004.jpg

Then in a flurry of activity I fixed the choppy thingy in place along with the glove.  The axe was given two brackets to rest on - made from flattened lead wire.  I think I need to add a piece of webbing otherwise it could fallout when the Wessi is doing it's aerobatic loops and rolls.

PA190005.jpg

Suitably grubby

The glove is probably a little bit over scale, but I'm happy enough with the final result. (But I'm not going back to add them to my first Wessi build!)

and just as a reminder - here's what the kit would have you put in place - though probably without the dust.

PA080011.jpg

I think I made the right decision.

• Like 14

:clap:(well you know what I mean and it saves time typing.......)

9 hours ago, hendie said:

when the Wessi is doing it's aerobatic loops and rolls.

Shortly before breaking the sound barrier and dropping off a satellite in low earth orbit......

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Absolutely outstanding details Hendie, as we have come to expect! Since you had a Coke can in the last one, are we to have a leftover sausage roll in this?

Ian

• Haha 3