Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

This arrived for me at my local bookshop yesterday. Well worth  £25 (Can be got for at least £10 less but I support local shop)

It has hundreds of very good photographs,both for detail and general.Covers all main operators.

The cockpit photographs show just how good a job you have done Hendie.

51xWYBtSgBL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Scimitar said:

This arrived for me at my local bookshop yesterday. Well worth  £25 (Can be got for at least £10 less but I support local shop)

It has hundreds of very good photographs,both for detail and general.Covers all main operators.

Just added that to my wish list on a certain well-known website - and note that there is a Haynes Buccaneer book in the offing!  Hoorah (on both counts); so far they've all been good, and some outstanding (I actually thought the Lynx volume was slightly disappointing, but only because it was heavily Mk.8-centric).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I need this book!

Bibliophile of Mars

On 4/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, Scimitar said:

Thanks Scimitar.  I may have to look into that. Hopefully it will be better than the 4+ book for photo's.

Well, not really much done over the last week or so. Travelling plus looking for a new car plus spending several hours at Walmart today waiting for them to put new tires on the car. Then today I got some more work done for the train build which I am trying to pick up again before it languishes for too long.

Anyhoos, remember this?

P3300005.jpg

Well, it worked.... a bit too well if you ask me.

P4010001.jpg

The floorboards have since received another little dampness and this time sat under a flat surface.  It appears to have worked though I forgot to take a photo this afternoon.

The only other real work I have done on this Wessi is drill a couple of holes for the seat backs.  It looks a fairly straightforward job but when you consider that you have to get the distance from the port sidewall correct plus get the whole thing looking straight - it was a bit more difficult than I anticipated, but it's done now.

P4010004.jpg

But I did get some work done on another Wessex... I took a daft turn and decided to start a kitbash with Italeri's two dismal offerings in 1/72.

P4080019.jpg

The 1/72 is going to be as much OUT OF THE FLIPPIN' BOX  as I can make it - resisting all temptation to go those places I've gone before in my 1/48 version and in this current build.  The intent being that this will be a contrast (sharp!) to my two larger scale builds and show up what a mess Italeri made of the 1/72 version.

The main question is... should I continue and pollute this thread with the 1/72 ? or create another thread for it by itself?

• Like 13

8 hours ago, hendie said:

The 1/72 is going to be as much OUT OF THE FLIPPIN' BOX  as I can make it

Hmmm, we shall see :D If you're really going to build it as a comparison then I vote for shots here to save us flipping from thread to thread.

• Like 2

Another Yes to pollution.

That interior looks superb; the 3D depth resulting from stringers / hydraulic pipes / wires / seat backs is spot on & beautifully life-like 

• Like 1

Polution or not, I think you are totally daft or worse! You know you can't build these without some serious surgery. Italeri in their wisdom made the fus 6mm too short. The error/problem is at the aft end of the cabin in the transition to the tailcone. So, thankfully it is easily fixed with a plug from the ROTORcraft range, mastered by my good self, so you know it fits. Yes it looks like a Wessex when built buut it looks oh so much better when fixed/accurate.

Great work on the cabin too but shame about the cabin floor!

Colin

• Like 3

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

but shame about the cabin floor!

easily fixed!

I know about the error, but I (think that I) really want to do the italeri's as warts and all as a contrast to my other two builds.  There's so much wrong with the 1/72 that I could take another 2 years to sort that one out by itself.

I also wanted something of a quick build as this 1/32 along with my train build is going to take up the next couple of years at my going rate.

that's not to say that I shan't change my mind part way through the pollution build

Pollution it shall be

• Like 3

18 hours ago, hendie said:

The 1/72 is going to be as much OUT OF THE FLIPPIN' BOX  as I can make it - 

I've heard that one before! :rofl2: Even tried it myself once!

Martian

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hendie said:

easily fixed!

I know about the error, but I (think that I) really want to do the italeri's as warts and all as a contrast to my other two builds.  There's so much wrong with the 1/72 that I could take another 2 years to sort that one out by itself.

I also wanted something of a quick build as this 1/32 along with my train build is going to take up the next couple of years at my going rate.

that's not to say that I shan't change my mind part way through the pollution build

Pollution it shall be

Well, we'll see how far you get with that, you being a stickler for detail and accuracy. 

Colin

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hendie said:

The 1/72 is going to be as much OUT OF THE FLIPPIN' BOX  as I can make it

And the above statement from a serial corrector. 

It could be correct, providing you include the Matchbox and or FROG offerings too?

Of the three one of them might be close.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And the above statement from a serial corrector. 

It could be correct, providing you include the Matchbox and or FROG offerings too?

Of the three one of them might be close.

I suppose it could be out of the boxes then but I suspect that is as near as Hendie will get to OOB. I do have to hold my tentacle up to being a teensy bit responsible for persuading Hendie into the insane  detailing world however.

A Bit Guilty of Mars 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am looking for a bit of a laugh just the  nows, pollution à la Itacrappi will help amuse me for a while

it will amuse moi to see the Sea Horse fuselage turning the nauticals into a centenary version (no not Wessie's centenary)

Go Hendie go

• Like 2

12 hours ago, heloman1 said:

a plug from the ROTORcraft range, mastered by my good self, so you know it fits.

Out of the box he says.... hmmm

Go on, offer him a deal.....

He's a Scot, you KNOW he can't resist a deal......

:innocent:

Ian

• Haha 3

so that was weird - did we just get another attack of the numpties?    I was just about to post when BM went dead on me for about 20 minutes

Anyways.

Well, you lot asked for it so don't say I didn't warn you.  I did warn you you know.  Warn I mean. I did it.. warn you.  You lot that is.  You can't blame me at all no sir.  You can't!  It's all yer own faults, not mine at all.  I told you so.

Well, for this highly detailed  accurate  realistic  life like  italeri build we shall be using mostly these parts... along with some pavla and an attempt at some airwaves bits to spice things up a touch

P4080020.jpg

Which sort of go together in this fashion.  They'd go together a bit better if the panel lines actually lined up but beggars can't be choosers an all that.  Still, it would be nice of the tail wheel yoke actually lined up on both halves since both halves are from the same kit.   Or am I asking too much?   I can be unreasonable at times y'know.

I almost took a knife and started to remove the 'flash' when I realized it was the rear face of the other half of the tail wheel assembly :fraidnot:

P4080023.jpg

Next up is completely my fault.  Yes.  Mine.

Hendie's Top Tip of the week:  When you're hacking at something with a razor saw, it pays to actually look at what you are hacking up and not let your eyes wander off and have your mind on other things - otherwise you can do this... :blink:

(it's repairable... just)

In my defense.  It's small.  Ask Bill.

P4080021.jpg

But I'm struggling here - I'm not even sure which way the molded lump  hoist is supposed to face. Seriously.

Neither end looks like any part of the hoist.

P4090002.jpg

Repairs are us and the first bit of well maybe not quite 100% out of the box.   Yeah yeah, you knew it was coming.... The bulkhead was fixed by the deft application of some cigarette foil - nice in scale pattern too!

T'would have been defter if I'd never mucked the thing up in the first place though wouldn't it?

The Pavla seats were a slight improvement over the kit parts in terms of molded buckles, but the side frames to the seats didn't have the lightening holes.  I'm not sure if it was just a bad casting or.... So I sanded off the side frames of the pavla seats, and added the kit frames, then drilled out the lightening holes. A bit of an improvement... just.  

Bill,  I'm sure I saw a thread where you actually made these side frames from scratch - I doff my cap to you Sir, and if we ever meet I'll buy the beers.  I'm struggling just to pick them up off the bench!   Correction - I'm struggling just to see them on the bench!

(there may be more scratchy bits coming - most of the small bits from pavla arrived already broken in the package)

P4080022.jpg

Primer farm.  Seeds planted.

Told you this was going to be a quick build.  Note the tremendously accurate front cabin bulkhead.   IT's STAYING THAT WAY!

P4090001.jpg

Primer started growing.  With a bit of luck they'll flower into some color sometime soon.

P4090003.jpg

However much OUT OF THE FLIPPIN' BOX I try to make this there's always going to be some things that just cannot stand.  Looking at this gives me an itch... one of those nasty itches.

NO!  Not that type of nasty itch.

P4090004.jpg

Ah... that's better

P4090009.jpg

Well, I must be almost halfway there with this pollution build by now.  What say you lot... finished by the weekend eh?

I'm off to google something about a plug.  6mm something or other.  Plug.  Stubby whassisname.  No promises though.  Absolutely no promises.  None.

Whatsoever.

• Like 9

OOB eh? :hmmm:

Whatever, it's looking good Hendie. And quick. But then I know nothing about choppers...

(Resist the opportunity, I dare you)

• Like 2

I intend to Ced, mostly

bulkhead looks fine and OOB means leaving the piston engine cabin front panel alone

They wont notice, honest

I'm not sure how happy you will be with the bl---gr--tf-lt-r nose though (vowels optional)

I saw lots of these on club tables at Cosford on Sunday

It was like line-ups of bull dozers

You know that plug, well you know of it, how could it hurt?

nudge nudge

So far it already looks better than an Italeri model... :wicked:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is out of the box? I must come from a different planet! Err, hang on a minute.......

okay, okay.   Two boxes.

... and a packet

... and another packet

... and an envelope

close enough!

• Haha 6

Loving following this thread, I always seem to be a couple of days behind so haven't chirped in that much, just sat back and enjoyed the progress. Now with a tiddly Wessie as a bonus! Looking forward to seeing the "out of the box" effort, I always thought it looks nice when done but didn't realize so much was wrong with it until it was all pointed out, especially the intake, all I see now is a wide mouthed frog! But I look forward to this, it will be as entertaining as the others. Just as an aside, I had the Airwaves set for one of my versions and discovered it wasn't really worth the brass it was printed on, didn't fit very well at all.

Keep cracking on!

Bob

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2