Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

6 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Since you had a Coke can in the last one, are we to have a leftover sausage roll in this?

Sausage Roll?  Remember, this was Hong Kong.   More likely a bowl of leftover Chow Faan, or for pure nostalgia, a bowl of either Shaffi's or Mr Khan's curry

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

:clap:(well you know what I mean and it saves time typing.......)

Shortly before breaking the sound barrier and dropping off a satellite in low earth orbit......

With a touch of filling-shaking ground resonance to finish off with

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

What a lovely cabin Walter is going to get.

It will need a ratpack box under the seat, I feel.

The doorway, there were handles in the top corners

so the loadies could hang out in the slipstream and

be admired by any passing ladies of the female persuasion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The doorway, there were handles in the top corners

They were included on the last build and they'll be included on this one

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Don't forget the winch switch either 

It will be there - can anyone remember if I included it last time around?

That's a great photo - thanks!   I now see another piece of Kit photo etch that isn't going to be used.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Don't forget the winch switch either :wicked:

AV00104.jpg

I have just spent 5 minutes trying to work out what that thing sticking out of the front of the winch is... before slapping my forehead & realising it’s the pitot head!  That photo gives a great illustration of why the Wessex was such a great SAR cab; the RHS pilot is virtually on top of the winchman, which must have made judging tricky cliff winches etc a hell of a lot easier than in the Sea King, where the winch is a good 30’ aft of the pilots.

Still the wrong colour, though, obviously.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, perdu said:

He's not going to forget the switch is he, this is hendie

I know that but was looking for any excuse to post another Wessex photo :lol:

17 hours ago, hendie said:

can anyone remember if I included it last time around?

Totally irrelevant as in this scale it has to work! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I know that but was looking for any excuse to post another Wessex photo :lol:

Totally irrelevant as in this scale it has to work! 

A working winch?

Surely on a hendie build the button that works the winch must work also?

• Haha 1

Looking great H.

Ive been looking into doing a few enhancements myself to the Mk5 I'm building, the 3D scanning really interests me but I haven't got a scooby doo how to go about how this, love to do a full nose door, engine and main trans.

Lots to add inaddition to the hoist bits and bobs, fixed down spot lights for one.

At 232 to 235, engage main drive....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Surely on a hendie build the button that works the winch must work also?

now let me see... you have a boxcar and a floaty thing ongoing just now.... I wonder what they need for a bit of realism?

2 hours ago, Wafu said:

the 3D scanning really interests me but I haven't got a scooby doo how to go about how this, love to do a full nose door, engine and main trans.

We have a couple of desktop 3D scanners at work - if I ever remember I might ask the owners what their capability is.  I plan on doing a couple of gnomes again... and probably the main rotor gearbox.  The kit supplied part looks a bit starved

• Like 4

Thanks for all the comments folks.

I made a start on the cabin rear bulkhead this afternoon.  Fly don't really provide a lot of interior detail, and if you check around photo's of the 1:1 you will spot a whole load of bits and pieces that need added (if you feel so inclined).

First up this afternoon was a small rack on the port side, as well as an opening in the bulkhead through which a bunch of cables disappear (eventually).

PA210001.jpg

Then came removal of the awful quilting attempt.  My replacement can be seen just to the side - I used some of the tinfoil alluded to previously, and just glued onto a piece of kitchen towel - this gave enough strength to the tinfoil so that I could rustle it about a bit to stop it looking so uniform, yet prevent the tinfoil from tearing.

PA210002.jpg

I then made up the cartridge stowage box from a piece of brass 'C' channel capped with styrene on the ends.  This is where it all starts to become a bit ehrrr airy fairy for want of a better term.  The kit doesn't really do a good job of duplicating the cabin interior either in content or in form.  The shape of the rear bulkhead is all wrong I'm afraid. 

You can see my pencil marks on the bulkhead to mark out where the driveshaft meets up with the bulkhead. It's too low, and it doesn't allow me to position the cartridge stowage in the correct place - but better some place than none eh? 

Frequent test fitting is required to make sure it still all goes together.

PA210005.jpg

Then some other gizzits and greeblies were added.  Some kind of electrical plug (I think) and a mounting for the flare pistol.

PA210006.jpg

Then primed and painted, and the first transfer is on !  The "Cartridge Stowage" is a bit over-scale, but better than nothing.  Fly would actually have you put it on the forward bulkhead, but I don't think I have ever seen cartridges stored in that location.

I also made some comms cable by wrapping some fine wire around a drill bit - just placed on top for the moment. There's a few more of these to be added throughout the cabin.

I also noted that my alclad matte is no longer looking matte - it's taken on a sheen which I'm not sure I like.  There's a few alclads that I really like - matte being one of them. However, I find that Alclad's packaging leaves a lot to be desired.  I've had several caps break on me, and little coned insert never stays attached to the cap like it's supposed to.  The mate was one of the bottles where the cap broke, and I've been sealing it with electrical tape.  It looks like it may have evaporated to a point where it no longer can be used - kinda sucks since I still have half the bottle left.  I guess I'll be buying some more of that very soon then.

PA220010.jpg

The pistol handle was carved from a piece of scrap, and wiped over with some filler to make the cover.  I doubt if it will ever be seen once the fuselage is all buttoned up.

Some cabling detail started on the starboard side.  I don't have any white cable in the right scale so some is on order while I try and find other parts to work on. Even the red looks a bit thick in this photo - I may change that out if I can find any thinner diameters hiding away in my scrap box.

Switches were made by cutting small rectangles of plastic and inserting a small piece of wire for the switch.  You can just about make one out on the doorway pillar.  (the winch switch will come later!!!)

PA220012.jpg

Oops - looks like I need to add a small piece of black cable between the rib and the red box - I didn't catch that earlier.

After going to all the trouble of cutting out the quilting, I found that I needed some support for my tinfoil effort and stop it falling through the hole.  C'est la vie.

PA220013.jpg

There's still plenty of detailing to be done on the interior, but I'd like to get some more cabling in place first. Hopefully I've ordered cable which will be in scale.

It looks like I may have to start on the seats soon - I bought in plenty of brass rod for that effort, but by the looks of some of those photo's, I need to spend a few hours tidying up my work area.

• Like 19

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Errr, mate, there's a d in cartridge.....

of course, you are absolutely correct Ian.  I spent so long staring at it to ensure that I had it aligned properly I never even noticed the spelling.

I'm sure there will be other spelling mistakes in the transfer sheet, but hopefully not as bad as Italeri

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hmm, now I remember the cartriDge stowage being where

you placed that white stowage rack. And the pistol was in

a holster just under it. Must have been a local mod out there.

To be honest Pete, I can't remember much about it at all.  I'm just going by whatever photo's are available.  I'm pretty certain that what I am making is not an accurate HC2 from Sek Kong, but it does have dollops of (sort of) accuracy from a number of HC2's somewhere.

So, the other evening I tried a quick dry fit of the fuselage sides to make sure that the bulkhead still fitted... looks okay from this angle, but...

PA230004.jpg

What's this I spy?  There's something not quite right here.  Well, that's what you get for following the instructions darnit.  Yuppers, I followed the instructions locating ribs where the kit instructions instructed me to construct the construction.  I thought it was quite nice of Fly to have a line on the inside of the kit where each rib went, though it would have been nice if they had defined where the rib actually sat in relation to said line.  But it appears they missed one - right at the back, just on front of the bulkhead.

PA230003.jpg

Strictly speaking, on the 1:1 I guess there isn't actually a rib in that location, well, not one that can be see as the rear bulkhead will be mounted to it.  However, the kit ribs are the only real locating feature for the bulkhead so they are going in.

Ribs, stringers and fish plates glued in place, paint and other gunge to come later.

PA240005.jpg

I had a nice little surprise waiting for me in the mail... cables.  This was the smallest diameter wire I could find that was color coded - 30 AWG.

PA230001.jpg

Unfortunately it is still a bit over scale, but better than nothing.  I might try spraying individual strands of wire as that's the only way I can think of getting a more in scale look - but the paint always flakes off very easily when I have tried that before.  The "white" cable was a nice off-white though, and not too stark.

I also added a couple of generic transfers to the two red electrical boxes just to add a bit of interest to something that will never ever be seen once it's all closed up.

PA240006.jpg

Prior to all that happening I managed to glue the rear bulkhead in position on the port side.  The ceiling panel is just dry fitted for alignment purposes.  S'looking a bit more Wessex like.

PA240011.jpg

and lastly, a better shot of the comms cable hanging off the rear bulkhead.

PA240013.jpg

The weathering looks vastly overdone in these photo's.  I'm blaming the flash and pretending that it doesn't look anywhere near as bad in the flesh.

I might have a bash at mixing up some of that apple green color for the soundproofing later.  Or try to make a smaller scale cable. 

• Like 15

Hendie,  I'm just getting caught up on this after my flew.  

Really great scratch stuff you're building here.  Nice gloves and ax.  Nice cables and all...

• Like 1