Wessex HC2 Crab Cabs Pt II (Fly Wessex - why on earth did I?)

hendie

Since I seem to have hit some leaves on the rails over in my Pullman Car build and have been stymied by my nemesis, the unassuming but terrifying nightmare otherwise known as... the paint job, I thought I should try and refresh my batteries by trying a diversion - namely, starting self flagellation another build.

I've had this one in the stash for a while, and my interest was sparked by @HL-10's very nice Fly 1:32 Wessex build (sorry, don't know how to add that nice little box thingie with the preview) so I thought what the heck, let's give it a go.  What's the worst that can happen ?

Well, let's get some things straight before we start... this will not be a quick build.  I just can't do quick builds.  Also, as my slightly battered psyche joyrides on the sinusoidal monorail that is mojo, I will probably switch back and forth between this build and the Pullman Car to keep things (namely me) interested.

Scratchbuilding?  Well it goes without saying - yes, there will be lots of scratch building. There may even be some 3D printed parts or some resin parts cast up. Let's wait and see shall we?

So what are we dealing with here ?  Well, here's a couple of bits of 1/32 Wessex taped up and sitting in front of my 1/32 Pullman Car (yes, it's just the chassis so far, and yes, it's upside down). 

I never realized just how close they were in size to each other before.  I'm going to need a bigger display case.

P9160013.jpg

and we're off!   I actually glued two parts together

P9170021.jpg

'scuse the 1:1 feet photobombing the picture.

As this thread continues, I'll try and (constructively) review the kit. So far there are some nice aspects, and some not so nice aspects that I have come across.  The most immediately apparent is the lack of any alignment features which is proving troublesome, particularly as the parts also have different wall thickness - you can't just go and glue a tab on the back of one part as the surfaces then end up at different heights.  Then, part edges aren't square - tale a look at the gap on the reverse face here.  (That will be dealt with later after the glue has cured)

P9170024.jpg

So, a short post to start the proceedings, but more to follow as mojo is rising

Edited by hendie
  • Like 22

28 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Me too.  Welcome back to the Aircraft WIP maestro :)

BTW I must mosey on over and properly read the Pullman build next time I get some spare coffee time - I think I've been missing summat special.......

You should

You have

;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hendie said:

sorry, don't know how to add that nice little box thingie with the preview

What, like this?

Click on 'share the post' as usual and then just paste it into your reply. Simples!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hendie said:

'scuse the 1:1 feet photobombing the picture.

I trust that those were Ghillie's brogues and that you had the necessary stockings hendie:

mainghilles.JPG

Late joining the Rotary Club meeting but looking forwards to this escapade immensely!

Tony

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Wow.

Only two bits glued and already there's 18 responses.  I guess the Wessex isn't the worst choice of a build then.

Sorry if I missed anyone above with the likes and wotnot - the deluge of responses has taken me aback somewhat.   Anyways - thanks for all the interest, and I'll just reiterate that this will not be a quick build. I may go as far as to say that this particular endeavor may end up making Herr @Fritag look like a speed builder by comparison.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:42 PM, Fritag said:

BTW I must mosey on over and properly read the Pullman build next time I get some spare coffee time - I think I've been missing summat special.......

Please do -and I hope you like it despite it not being a fast whooshy thing.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:50 PM, Martian Hale said:

I was wondering how long it would be before Hendie succumbed to this one.

a bit shorter than I anticipated

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Click on 'share the post' as usual and then just paste it into your reply. Simples!

like this?

Sheesh... all this time I've been clicking on the 'share this post' then adding the link using the link button to link the link instead of just pasting the link to link the link to the link.    'doh!

(thanks btw  I can be a bit of a Luddite at times)

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

... and that you had the necessary stockings hendie:

fishnets just never look right with the kilt do they

Well, yet more time was spent tonight pouring over the instructions and pushing bits of plastic together, but with no glue.   Maybe it's just me but I am finding the lack of location points on the plastic in conjunction with the vague instructions rather confusing.  I've probably spent at  least a couple of hours trying to figure out how it goes together.

So far without much success it has to be said.

oops, have to rush - I'll report back later

• Like 3

thanks Bill but nah.

Following my long tradition of being totally boring and predictable it's going to be another 28 Sqn, but just to spice things up I think I'll do the Alpha male this time around

in other news, guess what happened to sneak past SWMBO earlier this week ?

A small clue...

P9140012.jpg

at my rate, I reckon that build should start sometime around 2024/2025

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hendie said:

in other news, guess what happened to sneak past SWMBO earlier this week ?

A small clue...

P9140012.jpg

at my rate, I reckon that build should start sometime around 2024/2025

About the time you will be finishing the Wessex then! :wicked:

Martian

• Haha 4