Spitfire PR Mk.IV Trop

JackG

Trying to play catch up with this GB, but with only a week to go, not making any promises. 

183841-12623-pristine.jpg

Sword kit in the stash looks to be a quick build, but opening up the box I found I have a Brengun PE set too, so might as well use some of it.   Going for wheels up display, so that may or may not save some time.   Have also cobbled a pilot from Airfix Spitfire.  Will have some photos up soon...

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

36626554163_64033acaf3_b.jpg

Thanks Martin, but maybe more than luck was needed for this one.  Even if I could manage pull off the construction, I think by mid week I realized the special paint colour I ordered for this one (royal blue), would not make it in time for the weekend.  

So here it is as of now, but will still go ahead and complete in the RFI,

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 3

Thank you to both Johns.

About those added plastic tabs, I have the crazy notion of cementing the wing tops to the fuselage sides before mating them to the bottom wing section.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

I have one of these in the stash so am interested in seeing how your one turns out.

A couple of words of warning:

1) the wheelwell parts can make the upper and lower wings an 'awkward' fit. I've left them out in the two I've made, but no-one looks underneath my kits and you may well be a better modeller than me.

2) apparently, the resin canopy doesn't fit very well... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235024115-my-endless-spitfire-build-spitfire-vb-111-squadron-nearly-done-az-mkix-half-done/&do=findComment&comment=2825446

• Like 1

Beard, thanks for the heads up about possible  issues. 

From the link, their problem was a canopy that was too narrow.  So went and cleaned mine up for a test fit.  It's quite good actually, and if anything there is s very very slight overlap on the fuselage sides.  I did have to sand a bit the forward edge of the cockpit where the front windshield mates.  This made the canopy sit better - I'll try and get a phot up to show this soon. 

Jack

• Like 1

As promised, some closeups of the canopy fit.

37293553846_d458695907_b.jpg

Bit of a gap on the starboard side front windshield portion, but since taking the photos been able to mostly correct it by slightly sanding down the raised section  of the fuselage wall side.

------------------------------

About the wing halves fit, I did find some pour stubs in the way, and those had to be carved out of the way.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2