Another returning modeller

neilfergylee

Good evening.

The last time I put a kit together was probably 1987 or 88.  When I moved to my home in Derbyshire, despite a keen and continuing interest in aviation (the first decade of my career was in that industry), things stopped, mostly due to (1) career (2) raising a family, (3) trains - I am Vice Chairman of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway (http://www.e-v-r.com).

I remember one seminal moment.  It was the release of a hyper-accurate Spitfire XII by a Japanese manufacturer.  Having painstakingly converted a Heller Spitfire Mk.5 into a XII using a Frog XIV nose, I felt that there was little point in carrying-on when an out of the box model would leave my efforts looking pretty useless.  Add to that all the other things with being a (then) thirtysomething and my modelling simply moved to the back of the shelf.

I'm coming back because I've realised that I need to get some time away from my PC and I just fancy a bit of a change.  For me, the world of scale modelling has only got much better in the past 30 years.  The Internet has made me realise that there s a whole community out there, whereas back in the day modelling seemed a solitary pastime, broken only by conversations in the model shop and the monthly arrival of Scale Aircraft Modelling.  I also see a truly massive range of models and kits, things like the Airfix Valiant and TSR 2 I regard as absolute gold dust, while thanks to the Internet it is much easier to know what is out there and actually get hold of it.  Oh for eBay back in 1980!

My interests are UK cold war aircraft (Meteor a speciality and the Lightning is a must) and real space modelling, while my debut model will be the Airfix 1/72 Meteor F.8: something that was only available as a vacform when I last made one.  I shall post my efforts as and when I have something to show, but please forgive me if they look a little crude.  I have a mountain to climb!

Kind regards,

Neil Ferguson-Lee

Edited by neilfergylee
Corrected version of Frog model.
  • Like 3

Nice to see another "Real Space" fan. It's a fairly niche area of scale modelling, being completely dwarfed by fantasy and sci-fi space models. I also like classic British jets although it's a while since I completed one. 

Despite all the new stuff around, I think there is still a lot of fun to be obtained from building old kits. Quite a few of them were pretty good and can still be made into very presentable models.

Hi, Neil. Welcome to the forum. Most folks here seem to be returning modellers from decades ago, just like me. You are guaranteed helpful advice and suggestions if you post any of your work. And just remember, if you are not sure about something, ask the question. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your welcome!  It's lovely to get feedback and, yes indeed @Vinnie, there seem to be quite a few of us returning.  @Corsairfoxfouruncle, thank you for the greeting: I wish I had a dollar for every time I have passed through O'Hare coming in and out of the States.  I did a great deal of travelling in the USA about ten years ago and have very fond memories.

@Eric Mc, I must confess that it was probably real space that got me going again.  I am of the Apollo generation (I suspect I am not the only one!) and have a desire to make some good Apollo / Saturn models.  Probably the first thing I started researching on the Internet back in the late 1990s was the space programme and I seem became acquainted with RealSpace Models!  One day...!  As an aside, my professional life takes me to a manufacturer of fantasy models in Nottingham (can't say who, but the number 40,000 is significant) and I am intimately acquainted with their product lifecycle and production processes, although as a subject for modelling it leaves me absolutely cold!

So, I've done naff all modelling since sending this message so I had better get on with it!

Thank you to you all ;)

• Like 1

I've been modelling over 50 years but only really got back into "real space" about six or seven years ago. Many of the kits out there are the same old ones you and I will have remembered from our childhood. Some have been improved (like Airfix's Saturn IB and V) but many are exactly as they were when first released.

Dragon have done a good job on releasing some modern toolings of early American spacecraft (Gemini and Apollo) but even they aren't perfect. 

I've not had the bravery to order anything from RealSpace models yet. Maybe some day.

Welcome Neil.  Oh for seeing those kits I passed by in the 80s again.  Know what you mean about coming back after family's Lydia & stuff got n the way.  Was good fun stuff at the time.  Have an interest in model railways & real ones too.  If you like real space check out @RichO and his apollo crawler.  Truely inspirational.

enjoy

Thanks Barside, I think I'm back about page 5 or so.  As soon as I finish with the Maz build, it's back to work on the Mercury-Atlas Dio. build.

Neil,  It's always great to find another "real space" fan, but we'll look at anything you like to build.