1/72 Revell Junkers JU 88A-4

Val

Hi all,

• Kit manufacture: Revell
  • Scale: 1/72
  • Type: Junkers JU 88A-4
  • Extras used: OOB except brass rod pitot and EZ line antenna
  • Paints and colours used: Vallejo RLM colours (older type). Weathered with Flory Grime, and oil paints. All sealed with Aqua Gloss and flattened with Xtracylix matt varnish.

I finished this one a little while ago but have only just got round to photographer her.

A good kit this with generally good fit, but a couple of challenging areas. The wingtips being one of them... Beautiful surface detail though, and a wonderfully detailed cockpit.

Here's the pics:

[fullsizeoutput_13aa-X3]  

[DSCF7088-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13ad-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13af-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b2-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b1-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b3-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13b5-X3]  

[DSCF7083-X3]  

[DSCF7084-X3]  

[DSCF7085-X3]  

[DSCF7087-X3]  

[fullsizeoutput_13ab-X3]  

That's about it. Thank you for stopping by! As always, comments, criticism and advice is always welcomed!

Val

• Like 63

Brilliant job on the Ju-88! Where was this aircraft based? It has an interesting combination of Mediterranean markings (white under wingtips and white fuselage stripe), and Balkans/Eastern Front markings (yellow engines and tail planes).

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

16 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Another cracking build. What was the difficulty with the wing tips, please? Forwarned etc........

Thanks mate. To be fair, it's not so much difficult, but you've just got a seam to fill and sand. This in itself of course isn't a problem, it's just that you've got some lovely panel detail and rivetting around this seam which unfortunately will be lost and quite hard (for me) to put back in. The panels aren't a square shape so is needs a bit of care. It's more of a problem on the underside which will be less seen so it's not the end of the world.

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Beautiful finish, the weathering effects are exquisite.....You should do some tanks!  ;)

Thanks mate! To be honest, I've been back modelling for a few years now and I've never been too worried about tanks. However, after seeing some awesome tank builds on here and Flory's forums, I have a couple that have made their way into the stash! They do look fun, so will get stuck in soon :)

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the Ju-88! Where was this aircraft based? It has an interesting combination of Mediterranean markings (white under wingtips and white fuselage stripe), and Balkans/Eastern Front markings (yellow engines and tail planes).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, it was a lot of fun! That is an interesting question and I didn't know any of that. The model is based on JU 88A-4 of 9./KG 30 "Alder-Geschwader", Catania, Sicily, Italy, June 1941. The only think added from the OOB decals was a swastika. To be completely honest I followed the Revell instructions without any personal research so I do not know how accurate they are at all. And if I interpreted the colour callouts correctly! It was also the aircraft on the box.

Val

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Looks really nice.  I am curious, did you clear coat the clear parts?  They look "foggy".

Thanks mate. Good point, they do on the photos! I hadn't noticed, but they are fine in real life. I guess it's a trick of the light. I did have a problem with a touch of fog in one or two minor places as I used Tamiya extra thin, but only in the corners of clear parts. Not really noticeable if you're not looking for them, and certainly not like the pics suggest.

Really nice build.

I have admired this kit from afar (meaning: I have read the modelling press about it) and have often thought about adding it to the stash.

I would be well pleased if I could do half as good a build as yours.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Probably the model should be displayed on the underside. Very nice weathering. And the oli blending on th upper surfaces is superb. The Revell kit is a direct contender on the Hasegawa kit, i hope to draw from the stash sometime. :yes:

• Thanks 1

Cheers everyone! It's really appreciated!

8 hours ago, kapam said:

Really nice build.

I have admired this kit from afar (meaning: I have read the modelling press about it) and have often thought about adding it to the stash.

I would be well pleased if I could do half as good a build as yours.

:goodjob:

I'm sure you'll do a great job, no worries! I can recommend the kit, it's really nice. It's just typical Revell, fit is fine, just needs a bit of sanding here and there. Only filling I did was some plasticard strips on one of the wing roots and the some styrene-extra thin mix on the wing tips. It's very well detailed.

Nice work.

Revell's Ju88A/C(new mold) has ful of details comparing with HAS or Zvezda, especially the cockpit and panel lines/hatches on chine. However it's not a joy to build. I had built one C-6 before, with similar problem on wing tip. Also the flaps are wrapped and difficult to attach on the wing. Fitting around the gondola is complex.

My kit has gaps on cowling radiators, still do not know how to fill....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fernandocouto said:

However it's not a joy to build.

it's not is it. 50+ parts in the cockpit is a bit much in 72nd. But the end result is probably worth a bit of cussing. Your's looks great Val!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fernandocouto said:

Nice work.

Revell's Ju88A/C(new mold) has ful of details comparing with HAS or Zvezda, especially the cockpit and panel lines/hatches on chine. However it's not a joy to build. I had built one C-6 before, with similar problem on wing tip. Also the flaps are wrapped and difficult to attach on the wing. Fitting around the gondola is complex.

My kit has gaps on cowling radiators, still do not know how to fill....

Cheers! Yeah there were a few areas that required attention. The glass section which fitted on the underside of the nose was too wide for the fuselage too. I had to do quite a bit of filling and sanding around the wheel well area too. I had a real fight putting the flaps on too! Just keep filling and sanding buddy, you'll get there in the end :)

12 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

it's not is it. 50+ parts in the cockpit is a bit much in 72nd. But the end result is probably worth a bit of cussing. Your's looks great Val!

Thanks! It was a very well detailed cockpit. Too detailed for 1/72? I would have said not so when I first put it together, but by the time you have the glasswork on you can see very little of it, so probably is I guess. It took a long time to do the cockpit!