Falklands Harrier GR.3 question

Pappy

2 hours ago, boffin said:

Re Blue Eric.  "Harrier at War" states that 4 a/c flew out from ASI fitted with Blue Eric and ALE-40 as 2 pairs on the 28 May and 8 Jun.   I recall from somewhere that they carried the large external tanks as were included in the first Airfix 1/72 Harrier - I think it was the only time these tanks were used

George

The large 330 gal tanks were a regular fit on harrier GR3/T4 when undergoing long transit flights.

Selwyn

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yes the new kit does include the recce pod, and an alternative nose with the Falklands I band receiver bulge.

If you have another kit to build, you might be able to appeal for the parts in the'wanted' section of the forum.

I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that what was known as the Vinten pod was the later one with digital tech used in the 2nd generation Harriers.

The GR.3 housed conventional film cameras, but of course might have been made by Vinten?!

There are good images in books, not much on the net, search Harrier GR.3 recce pod. 

The GR3/T4 carried the Vinten pod with "wet film" cameras as supplied in the airfix kit. The F95 camers was in the nose, there was also a camera that took HUD pictures.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Thanks again everyone.

What is the consensus for a match to Deep Brunswick Green?

I know that Humbrol make a Brunswick Green (003) gloss in both enamel and acrylic but this looks too light. The IPMS stocky colour site suggests either Tamiya X-3 or Gunze H6. Personally, I like the look of the Tamiya IJN green, it is a dark green with a hint of blue,

Thoughts?

Pappy

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

Thanks again everyone.

What is the consensus for a match to Deep Brunswick Green?

I know that Humbrol make a Brunswick Green (003) gloss in both enamel and acrylic but this looks too light. The IPMS stocky colour site suggests either Tamiya X-3 or Gunze H6. Personally, I like the look of the Tamiya IJN green, it is a dark green with a hint of blue,

Thoughts?

Pappy

Are you looking for a match for BS 381c -227 Deep Brunswick green?

Selwyn

11 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Pappy

BL755 were painted Bs381c 224 deep bronze green, not 227 Deep Brunswick green.

Selwyn

Gotcha, now that has been cleared up, what is a good match for Deep Bronze Green (DBG) ?

I see that Humbrol make a DBG (Hu 75 which is matt) but I am not a fan of their tinlets (for spraying) but as equivalents how about Tamiya XF-11 (Jap Navy Green) or XF-61 (Dark Green) or Gunze H36 Dark green?

I can add gloss so no drams there and H63 is a semi-gloss so half way there.......

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

Gotcha, now that has been cleared up, what is a good match for Deep Bronze Green (DBG) ?

I see that Humbrol make a DBG (Hu 75 which is matt) but I am not a fan of their tinlets (for spraying) but as equivalents how about Tamiya XF-11 (Jap Navy Green) or XF-61 (Dark Green) or Gunze H36 Dark green?

I can add gloss so no drams there and H63 is a semi-gloss so half way there.......

Pappy

Not sure about an equivalent, I use Xtracolour DBG which is 224 (X814). To search for an alternative check out  armour modelling sites as this colour was the standard green all British army vehicles were painted postwar up to the early 1970's

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2017 at 7:19 AM, Pappy said:

My next question is regarding these non CMDS  jets, what did the area aft of the airbrake where the CMDS look like? Were there two square cut-outs with black plastic blanks fitted over them for example or was is just plain metal without any openings?

Just plain metal

13 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Not sure about an equivalent, I use Xtracolour DBG which is 224 (X814). To search for an alternative check out  armour modelling sites as this colour was the standard green all British army vehicles were painted postwar up to the early 1970's

Selwyn

cheers,

I am going with Tamiya XF11 + gloss.

I have noticed that a ring of contrasting colour immediately behind the arming impeller/fuse at the nose of the BL755. I can't tell if this is white, silver or perhaps a goldish colour?

Also were all BL755s used in the Falklands War HE/AP rounds, i.e. yellow and black nose bands?

10 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Just plain metal

Thanks very much Dave

Thank you both very much for your patience!

cheers,

Pappy

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

cheers,

I am going with Tamiya XF11 + gloss.

I have noticed that a ring of contrasting colour immediately behind the arming impeller/fuse at the nose of the BL755. I can't tell if this is white, silver or perhaps a goldish colour?

Also were all BL755s used in the Falklands War HE/AP rounds, i.e. yellow and black nose bands?

Thanks very much Dave

Thank you both very much for your patience!

cheers,

Pappy

Directly behind the impellor was a white nylon ring. All live BL755 were marked with yellow and black rings, it was primarily an anti armour weapon designed to deal with the soviet tank hordes!

Selwyn

46 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Directly behind the impellor was a white nylon ring. All live BL755 were marked with yellow and black rings, it was primarily an anti armour weapon designed to deal with the soviet tank hordes!

Selwyn

Ha,

forget the the BL755, the Sovs would have had to have got past my Herfy Pilsner empty bottle stack, game over.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

Cheers mate, that is me sorted for now,

Pappy

1 minute ago, Selwyn said:

Wobbly gold top man myself! 

Selwyn

That was my drink in the Mally :yes:.  (And available 4 500ml bottles for £6.00 as da advert says at a certain Supermarket).

Herfy in the block, working down the theatre club when the bar shut, at the motorbike racing etc.

Lovely.

1 minute ago, PLC1966 said:

That was my drink in the Mally :yes:.  (And available 4 500ml bottles for £6.00 as da advert says at a certain Supermarket).

Herfy in the block, working down the theatre club when the bar shut, at the motorbike racing etc.

Lovely.

Gutersloh Mally or Bruggen? Gut man myself.

Selwyn

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Gutersloh Mally or Bruggen? Gut man myself.

Selwyn

Phortunately I was Phound at the home oph the Phinest Air Defenders in the Royal Air Phorce, Wildenrath with Phantoms for me.  

• Like 1

G'day again chaps,

I have assembled the Airfix Recce pod that is included in the 1/72 kit.

DSCN4701_zpsnq1doez6.jpg

DSCN4699_zpsx6z5fagu.jpg

DSCN4700_zpswqhh6urm.jpg

I know that this pod was manufactured by Vinten and that it used wet film cameras. Would I be correct in assuming that the panels I have painted black are the oblique camera windows and the circular aperture on the centre line is a forward facing camera window? It looks like this pod was fixed i.e. no moving sensor pod head so the pilot had the bank the jet in order to change the oblique camera viewing angles?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

24 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

The cameras had shutters so it usually was just the camo colours

https://goo.gl/images/bXaeCp

G'day Dave,

That link does not work for me, any chance you could re-post the pics?

I have had a look online, it is hard to tell because of the shadows but the recce pod looks to be painted mostly the dark green camo colour overall, was the pod green, grey a mix of both or some other colour?

cheers,

Pappy

3 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Dave,

That link does not work for me, any chance you could re-post the pics?

I have had a look online, it is hard to tell because of the shadows but the recce pod looks to be painted mostly the dark green camo colour overall, was the pod green, grey a mix of both or some other colour?

cheers,

Pappy

Seems to have gone off the net, I'll see what I can do

In terms of colours early ones were Dark Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey, by the time of the Falklands they seem to have been overall green