Falklands Harrier GR.3 question

Pappy

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

pod-gr3-400

I think the nose is painted in anti abrasive paint (I've seen one with what looks like yellow primer)

This one was on my hard drive, I think it may have come originally from the 4 Sqn association site a while back.

POd

All the recce pods in my time 79-83 were painted matt green. The nose of the pods were painted with a rubberised paint called "Flexane"  which was usually quite shiny at first but faded over time. The same stuff was used on the noses of CBLS carriers. The covers over the camera ports that you can see in the picture were motorised and were operated from the recce control panel  on the left hand cockpit coaming.  The hatches you see open on the image above gave access to the film magazines. All the cameras in the pod were fixed with no rotating elements.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Selwyn said:

All the recce pods in my time 79-83 were painted matt green. The nose of the pods were painted with a rubberised paint called "Flexane"  which was usually quite shiny at first but faded over time. The same stuff was used on the noses of CBLS carriers. The covers over the camera ports that you can see in the picture were motorised and were operated from the recce control panel  on the left hand cockpit coaming.  The hatches you see open on the image above gave access to the film magazines. All the cameras in the pod were fixed with no rotating elements.

Selwyn

Reminds me when I was a young AEM went to pick up or drop of something at VL missile shop run by a big gruff beardy bombhead chief.

Anyway they got me on a bite by allegedly spilling a tin of flexene.

Clearly i hadnt spilt it,one they did earlier which had dried spilt if you know what I mean.....cue grumpy chief ....seriously worried young lad.....ooh what a laugh they had at my expense....you had to be there...ill get my coat:coat:...no idea why the missile shop did CBLS and ale40 panels

8 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

pod-gr3-400

I think the nose is painted in anti abrasive paint (I've seen one with what looks like yellow primer)

This one was on my hard drive, I think it may have come originally from the 4 Sqn association site a while back.

POd

7 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

That is gold, seriously thanks very much chaps!

Pappy

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2017 at 2:57 PM, Selwyn said:

All the recce pods in my time 79-83 were painted matt green. The nose of the pods were painted with a rubberised paint called "Flexane"  which was usually quite shiny at first but faded over time. The same stuff was used on the noses of CBLS carriers. 

The same stuff was used on the Toe Cap of my No1 Parade shoes.....saved a shed load of work.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat fingers said:

The big jug tanks where ferry tanks, I'm afraid I can't remember their capacity, but around the 500 gallons i think. Only used for transit then swapped over to the smaller tanks, which I think  where either 250 or 300 gallons.

330 Gallons, the small tanks on the GR3 were 100 gallons (UK). The big tanks were used on a couple of GR3s used for air defence use at Ascension during their way south.

• 4 years later...

I found this post on the GR3 and this plane swayed me into getting it, rather than the Sea Harrier. 
I would like to build the GR3 on the carrier deck during the Falklands war period. Would appreciate someone can tell me if the Kinetic GR3 (kit 48060) has the right plane in the kit for Falklands war. I managed to match the number XZ997 for the decals in the kit but need a confirmation. Thank You

On 2/21/2023 at 12:05 AM, Cklasse said:

I found this post on the GR3 and this plane swayed me into getting it, rather than the Sea Harrier. 
I would like to build the GR3 on the carrier deck during the Falklands war period. Would appreciate someone can tell me if the Kinetic GR3 (kit 48060) has the right plane in the kit for Falklands war. I managed to match the number XZ997 for the decals in the kit but need a confirmation. Thank You

The only external mods made were tie down rings added to the u/c for the deck chains.

The GR.3s also used the RN rocket launchers as the RAF types were not static safe/RADHAZ safe to RN standards

I think that four of the GR.3s also had the 'Blue Eric' ECM mod incorporated

The Kinetic kit includes options for GR.1 and GR.3  including Falklands kit such as the IFF antennas. I don't thin k the tie-downs re included on the u/c legs, if you are bothered they are easy to add/make

AIM-9s, IFR probe and long range tanks were not used during the conflict but were employed during air patrols immediately afterwards

I am sure that NiG and Selwyn will shortly pop along shortly to correct me!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy