TIE/sk x1 "Striker"

Hi folks,

I finished the first part of my small scale Star Wars models-in-progress, this is the TIE Striker from Rogue One. It's available not in the Vehicle Model series but in a larger box along with the rebel U-Wing and two of the Imperial tanks. Irrelevant factoid: It turns out these are supposed to be tracked tanks (like the full scale vehicle built for filming) and the fact that Bandai and Lego have them as hover tanks is a mistake. I built the TIE Striker first since I've never built a TIE anything - or I think any Star Wars models at all - and it seemed like a straightforward place to start.

36842895480_f98529168f_b.jpg

(click for more/bigger)

It's easier to see the fuselage with the wings up, but they aren't seen that way in any shots I could find in the movie, so all the rest of the pics are wings down.

37241026555_62102996a1_b.jpg

The base is a little wooden coaster (four inches/10cm square) with a piece of clear PET sheet glued to the top. I painted the underwater stuff underneath the sheet, and then built up the water on top a little with gloss acrylic gel. It took a few goes to get this the way I wanted and it's still not quite right but it looks nice in the pictures and hopefully looks a bit like Scarif :)

36842874110_85cdfe652a_b.jpg

The TIE is painted with Tamiya acrylics and the solar panels were masked and painted Rubber Black and given an Alclad Steel overspray to give them a bit of sheen. I also tinted them with Alclad Hotmetal Violet and Blue on different panels, which is *just* visible in the photos, I think I'd do that again but make it a bit more obvious and maybe use a gloss black undercoat?

36426494493_1408c5ac3b_b.jpg

36426499633_d0359034fa_b.jpg

If you're interested the WIP thread is here - thanks to everyone who commented with feedback!

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Will

• Like 19

That looks really good Will! Love seeing you building your scenery, I might even try it one day... Maybe...

Like everyone else has mentioned, I like the two Space-Rays, clever touch that. I also preferred the Base before you ripped the paint off, but I also understand why it was done. Not sold on the Tie Strikers design, dunno why. Is there a cockpit in the back? Looks likes a canopy is there?

looking forward to the others :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks all!

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, monsterpartyhat said:

Wow. That turned out really superbly. And now you have a perfect display for photographing a tiny Blue Leader and the U-Wing as well :)

Oh that's tempting, I'd forgotten there were X-Wings down on the surface (well, over the surface) of Scarif.

22 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Love the Sienar Fleet Systems logo as well.

Thanks, I thought it ended up with a '70s corporate vibe despite starting with a Bauhaus-inspired font. It was a good way to get some colour into a very plain model, as was the base!

17 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Looks likes a canopy is there?

Yeah I think there's a rear cockpit but I'm not sure why, as the turret's at the front. Maybe there's a bombardier?

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Pub?

Sounds ideal, but Lincs is a bit of a way to go...

W

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Entirely too wet IMHO:P

I feel like there's a subtext here but it's just too subtle to pick up. Maybe if I was, I dunno, prescient it would help.

Will

On 9/16/2017 at 7:25 AM, Dazzio said:

Not sold on the Tie Strikers design, dunno why. Is there a cockpit in the back? Looks likes a canopy is there?

According to the game sheet, that area is a small cargo hold. Similar to the one on the Bwing.

Outstanding model of fantastic little ship.

One of my favorite scenes. ..

tumblr_oo77ffonPo1qdapu4o1_500.gif

BTW my friends and I always get new Star Wars shirts when we all get together to watch a new release. My kids have finally gotten old enough to be included. Here is my youngest's shirt for this December. .

CAMISETA-ROGUE-ONE-TIE-STRIKER-OVER.gif

11 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Maybe if I was, I dunno, prescient it would help.

Or maybe piscient...  

On 16/09/2017 at 13:25, Dazzio said:

Is there a cockpit in the back? Looks likes a canopy is there?

7 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

According to the game sheet, that area is a small cargo hold. Similar to the one on the Bwing.

It's got a rear cockpit for a bombardier, with a bomb rack in the centre of the fuselage.

Andy:cat:

5 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Or maybe piscient...  

It's got a rear cockpit for a bombardier, with a bomb rack in the centre of the fuselage.

Andy:cat:

Your talking about the Visual Dictionary right? What a disaster that thing was.  That's a :worms: 

I'm not touching. The general conscious is "let's hope Rebels sorts this out."  :shrug: