Tiger I tracks. One side reversed??

Badder

I've made just the one Tiger I so far. It was my first model in 35yrs, Tamiya's 1/35th Mid Production. Feeling like a 'newbie' I followed the instructions to the letter and so fitted the tracks as per their instructions, with both sets of tracks facing the same way.  This means that when viewed from the front (or rear) the 'pattern' of the tracks appears the same on each side.

However, I've just read this article http://www.alanhamby.com/suspension.shtml and have discovered that only the first 20 Tigers were fitted with 'left and right hand track links' and that subsequent Tigers used the same track links on each side, but then one of the tracks was reversed. 

To me, this sounds like it's actually incorrect to have both sets of tracks looking the same from the front (or rear)

To clarify, when looking at the tracks they shouldn't look like this:      W  W

but like this:      W  M

Can someone confirm?

Thanks,

Badder

They should look different, because  there are spaces for the outer set of guide teeth on the drive sprocket to fit along the track length.    If they were put on wrong, they would not fit as the hull sides would be in the way.   Look at the inner set of guide teeth from in front, the edge of the tracks should sit right flush and not past like they do on the outer set of guide teeth.

bovington-tiger-tank-131-front.jpg

Well I suppose if they were the narrower travel/delivery type tracks, then there might be a chance of getting them wrong?

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

I've re-read the article and have sussed it out now.

In the photo you show, the tracks are of the earlier type.... without the bolted-on 'ice cleats'.  Nevertheless, if you removed the tracks from the left hand side, and turned them around 180 degrees, they would then fit on the right hand side without fouling the hull, and would have the overhang on the outside edge. However the pattern on the individual links will be facing the other way as well. In other words, those repeated 'A' shapes between the horizontal bars would be upside down on one set of tracks. So there would be a difference in the look of the tracks.

When the 'ice cleats' were introduced they were bolted on to the existing 'bars' and were orientated to match between both set of tracks, so they would look the same on casual inspection. The inner 'A' shapes would still be inverted on one set though.

The 'ice cleats' are the shiny zig-zag pattern on the horizontal bars in the photo below. Directly below each of them, in the recess are 'A' shapes.

812763DSC09505.jpg

On the right hand set of tracks the ice cleats are pointing upwards as well, but the 'A' shapes in the recesses are not pointing upwards, they are upside down.

789513DSC09506.jpg

So yes, although the tracks appear to be the same on both sides, they are not. One set is reversed, but the ice-cleats are fixed the same way on both sides.

Please forgive the extremely dusty Tiger! Two years ago this was my first model for 35yrs and is pretty bad compared to what I can do nowadays. So it's been sitting in a dusty cupboard.

Badder

Edited by Badder

True yeah the first batch of what we modellers/historians now refer to as  'initial' tigers had 'handed' tracks, which meant the tank had to carry two types of spares. Shortly after they realised the potential logistical problems so they wore two left tracks, one being reversed and running backwards resulting in the tread patterns you see in your model above. Made the beast pull slightly to one side whilst driving I think I remember reading somewhere. The tracks with the ice rigdes on the high points came in towards the end of 1943. Can't remember the exact month as not dabbled with these cats for a couple of years now, I'm all about the flying ones lately 👍🏿

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

True yeah the first batch of what we modellers/historians now refer to as  'initial' tigers had 'handed' tracks,

Yeah @ initial and handed. I was keeping it simple for any visiting 'aviation' people. :D

Rearguards,

Badder

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Badder for this thread. I knew I'd find the answer on this great forum.

I'm currently making an Italeri Tiger and am just bonding the links around the drive wheel. Then realised on the other side the tracks are facing in the opposite direction. Have just spent an hour or so frowning and scratching my head, thinking this can't be right. The instructions aren't too clear. 

Now I realise they are supposed to be this way round. Crisis over.

Thanks to everyone who also posted, cheers, Martin