a question about Zimmerit on tiger I tanks

cambridge

question is simple: was the horizontal plate of the glacis covered in zimmerit? 

usually the kit manuals show it covered, if you buy zimmerit photoetched surfaces it is covered, i've seen tigers in museums with it covered in zimmerit but the fact is all the original black and white pictures i've seen it never looks like it is, i don't know it may be a light effect but it seems consisent 

Tiger_zimmerit_9.jpg

img649ic7.jpg

Tiger_zimmerit_Italy_2.jpg

Tiger_zimmerit_4.jpg

Edited by cambridge

Interesting question, and don't know if there is a definitive answer out there.    In my opinion, there probably was zimmerit in that location applied at the factory, but since it is a high traffic area for all five crew members, the rough texture crumbles and wears down, leaving  a smoother surface?   The crew could possibly have cleaned it up if really bad, as the lose material can be slipping hazard.

Best photo I could find is this close up, where there appears to be some remnants just under the hull machine gun.

d6c6a04943e8cfdd1fdf267530efc059--ww-pho

regards,

Jack

Yeah as mentioned this has been debated for ages. 

Hard to make out in photos as this area isn't really photo'd much directly, and in other pics the light washes out that area. Plus with the wear to it from the crew climbing up on this area the most to get on the tank along with dust and dirt accumulating in the ridges it makes them hard to spot. 

A suggestion of it in a model would be best, I put it on a bit thinner and them chipped and sanded it back to simulate the above, or when you photograph your finished build take the pics from a low angle in the way real ones were done so people can't tell if you have zimm'd that area either 👍🏿

i will stick my neck out and say flat horizontal plates probably didn't have zimmerit, as it was supposed to prevent magnetic mines from sticking to the metal plate,  if you've got the mine on to a flat horizontal bit gravity is in your favour.

Edited by andygif290368
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, andygif290368 said:

i will stick my neck out and say flat horizontal plates probably didn't have zimmerit, as it was supposed to prevent magnetic mines from sticking to the metal plate,  if you've got the mine on to a flat horizontal bit gravity is in your favour.

True, but several tanks did have zimm on flat/almost flat surfaces. 

The stug 3 and 4 spring to mind with their bow and engine decks 👍🏿

Good example of zimmerit located on the near horizontal surface of the the Pz IV:

%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%

It could be argued either way concerning a magnetic mine on the horizontal location.   Tank movement and zimmerit coating might better the chances of it sliding off?  Also, combined with gravity and magnetic force, would that have any increase on the impact of the explosive to the surface?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Short answer: put zimmerit wherever you would like it to be unless your representing a specific tank.

Long answer:

I'm convinced that not all Tigers had zimmerit on them: this is a picture of a Tiger, which I assume in on the Eastern front: it's definitely seen action(!) and there is no zimmerit visible on either the upper glacis or the front plate, even though zimmerit was chiefly to protect armour against Russian magnetic anti-tank mines (which didn't really exist anyway):

HXzwxnv.jpg

This is a knocked out Tiger in North Africa(?), no zimmerit anywhere at all:

Fgl2haB.jpg

On 9/17/2017 at 6:52 PM, andygif290368 said:

I would have to (politely!) disagree with this; as a) a tank is rarely on a perfectly flat surface so there is never a truly horizontal surface, and b ), the upper glacis of a Tiger isn't actually horizontal!

IFCOBSJ.png

Zimmerit was applied during a certain time frame, December 1943 to  September 1944.  Tiger  I production lasted from August 1942 until August 1944.  So yes, there will be early Tigers without it.  Most definitely not Africa, war ended there in May of '43.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Initial-early production Tigers sent to North Africa had no zimmerit at all.

I know that tank S33 of sKp/SS-PzRgt.2 SS Panzer Grenadier Division Das Reich, which fought on the Eastern Front in 43-44 also had no zimmerit.

No help whatsoever other than to point out that even late tigers on the eastern front were sometimes lacking zim.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder