This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

limeypilot

Donnet-Lévêque Type A, Libramodels, 1:72

Fabulous progress Ian! That is great work on the wings, although it does seem odd committing such delicate plastic to such a heavy looking device! It obviously works though!

Ray

Hi all,
 A quick update on progress over the weekend.
 The rigging has been completed and trimmed back, the only wires remaining are those which are either attached to the fuselage, or share a hole with one that is.

The next task was to make a start on the engine. This is what I had to start with.

37684625344_f28728d281_c.jpg

The SmallStuff engine is truly a model in itself, and it's tiny - or at least some of the parts (spark plugs) are! I painted all the parts and then added the plugs to the cylinders before removing the latter from the casting block. I did it that way for 2 reasons: 1) It would help me to get the cylinders positioned correctly (all the plugs in the same place), and 2) I couldn't cut the cylinders off with the sparkplugs still on the block!

So with those done this is what it looked like after a quick Flory wash to highlight the cooling vanes.

38367607522_12fec37deb_c.jpg

It looks a lot dirtier in the pic than it does to the naked eye. I'm not going to add the rocker arms and pushrods until I'm ready to fit the engine, to reduce the chances of them being broken/knocked off.

I then too a look at the prop. Unfortunately the one provided with the kit was a tractor prop, not a pusher one, so I had to resort to a bit of kit raiding. I found a 2 bladed pusher prop of the correct type which I won't be needing (it also has a 4 bladed one) in the Eduard DH2 kit, so I nabbed that. It did need a little modification though as the blades were too long, and also a little odd in that instead of being a straight edge from one trailing edge to the opposite leading edge, the blades were at a slight angle to the hub. Easily fixed with a couple of fillets of plastic card and some filler.

38367612962_ba11fd03c1_c.jpg

After a bit more fettling I had this.

38367605862_708d9e5d45_c.jpg

I had to plug the hole in the centre and redrill it, but after that was done it fitted quite nicely.

37684627954_de01824b5b_c.jpg

I'll add a PE hub plate after it's all been painted.

Now I just had to make the mounting plate for it all to fit to, along with the crankshaft, "carb", oil pump and magneto, on the front. Oh, and drill the crankshaft for the tensioning wires.....
 The pate was just plastic card, a 5mm piece of .025" (0.64mm plastic rod was used for the crankshaft, with a similar size piece of Albion Alloys tube glued on the front for the carb inlets. The "shaft" was drilled with a .15mm drill nit and threaded (eventually!) with the required lines. which were secured with CA so they didn't slide out - there is no way they could be refitted once the piece is in place between the wings!

38367608892_c5512d4072_c.jpg

That was then painted and fitted between the engine mounts.

38367617402_bd3ea2072e_c.jpg

The last item I've been working on is the fuel tank. I had to move the oil line as I had it too far forward and it fouled the rigging lines, so that was done and it has been repainted. Once that is dry the tank can be fitted, then I can start to add the metal braces to the front of the engine mounts.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Superb work on the engine and propeller! :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

Excellent tutorial going on here Ian. I will be using this thread when I come to scratch build mine!

Those Small Stuff engines are really first class - I have stocked up on a few - something I rarely do these days but scratch building rotary engines is far from easy.

P

I'm so sorry Ian but but for a while back there I spent more time looking at the rig than the aircraft upon it!

Much enjoyed your surgery upon that propellor, for obvious reasons...:lol:

This build continues to enthrall. Lovely stuff.

Tony

Thanks Jaime, and P!

2 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm so sorry Ian but but for a while back there I spent more time looking at the rig than the aircraft upon it!

Much enjoyed your surgery upon that propellor, for obvious reasons...:lol:

This build continues to enthrall. Lovely stuff.

Tony

To be honest, if I hadn't had the same problem with my prop I may not have even thought about the pusher issue on yours, but when I saw they were the same, bells started ringing! I'm glad they did!

Another quick update. There's been quite a bit going on but not much worthy of pics. Today I fitted the fuel tank and "plumbed" it.
 The oil pipe and fuel line are bits of scrap copper wire I had lying about. 

26694289499_8b4108da02_c.jpg

The carb bracing wires are just held taut by pegs at the moment as I have also been working on the remainder of the engine bracing frame. The pieces have been cut and painted and will be fitted tomorrow (with any luck!). There are also a couple of braces and a rigging wire for the tank to be added.

Finally today the prop got painted.

24598182078_26d3961fab_c.jpg

I'm going to try Bare Metal Foil for the leading edge protectors, so those, and the boss, should also be going on tomorrow.

Ian

Great finish on the fuel tank and propeller!

Cheers

Jaime

That is a super piece of fiddling with the fuel tank and carb mount. Knowing just how tiny all this is, I take my hat off to you for such fine workmanship.

P

23 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great finish on the fuel tank and propeller!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime!

22 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is a super piece of fiddling with the fuel tank and carb mount. Knowing just how tiny all this is, I take my hat off to you for such fine workmanship.

P

Not sure about super, it certainly was a lot of fiddling though! Thanks P!

16 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This'll be a pretty one as well...

Many thanks John, hopefully on the home stretch now..

Hi all,
 Another small update on the engine installation. The forward framework was completed today, using .016" brass rod. Nothing too difficult there fortunately, just awkward to reach in places! After that was done I cleaned up the wing upper surfaces where the rigging wires had passed through, and started on the final assembly of the engine and prop. The Small Stuff engine is extremely...well, small...and fiddly! I gave up with the push rods that come with the kit as I couldn't even hold one in the tweezers without it bending, and attaching one keeping it straight was impossible, so I used .004" steel wire which was far easier and went very quickly.  I also think the engine is slightly too big, as I made the wing struts 1mm too long by accident, and the engine still occupies a larger area between the wings than it should. A result of this is that the braces for the prop shaft would stop the engine rotating - they don't quite clear the cylinders. I can't raise the engine any higher as it is already touching the top wing! Still, it's a huge improvement over anything else available.

So here's how it looks as of this evening.

37773799054_7a5ab49394_c.jpg

37601931435_af88944408_c.jpg

37773797644_65ec9189a0_c.jpg

37601929955_6d49fa38ae_c.jpg

38433222156_99a8b6be13_c.jpg

All that remains to do on the wing assembly now is to add a couple more small braces between the rear prop brace arms and touch the paintwork up. I think I'll leave the floats until it's all together, so I think the next step now is to attach the wings!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

That is a superb piece of modelling to get that engine, fuel tank, and other paraphernalia in such a small space. Small Stuff engines are well described - but they are good.

P

looking very impressive Ian.  Regardless of the scale discrepancy it really looks the part - I just dunno how you managed to stuff the engine and all the other bits in such a small space.

Excellent work, Ian! If it wasn't for the masking tape and some wires needing straitening, the pictures could pass for pictures of the real thing in a museum. Very well done :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

That has to be one of the finest-looking propellors I've seen  on an aircraft at this scale.

22 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is a superb piece of modelling to get that engine, fuel tank, and other paraphernalia in such a small space. Small Stuff engines are well described - but they are good.

P

Thanks P! The engine was actually quite easy (comparatively speaking) as it was just plonked on the back of everything else!

21 hours ago, hendie said:

looking very impressive Ian.  Regardless of the scale discrepancy it really looks the part - I just dunno how you managed to stuff the engine and all the other bits in such a small space.

One piece at a time, Hendie, same as your Wessie!

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent work, Ian! If it wasn't for the masking tape and some wires needing straitening, the pictures could pass for pictures of the real thing in a museum. Very well done :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

Many thanks Jaime! Much appreciated! In fact, in a total coincidence, Les Retro-Planes d'Argenteuil just made the first flight of their replica!

https://www.facebook.com/bpontanus/posts/10156063990786495

Thanks Tony! Between us we'll corner the prop market!

On to today's progress....

I measured up the engine and it comes out at 1.5mm too big in diameter, so it does take up a little more space than it should and probably won't fit anything with a cowling!

Today's progress followed pretty much with what I had planned - unusual though that may be! I completed the rear engine braces using .010" brass rod, and then touched up the black paintwork. The big problem with using brass rod is, of course, that as soon as you pick it up with tweezers the paint comes off again! The final rigging wires were also secured to the frame.

38474687772_4bed33f379_c.jpg

24634588308_5138ac78d5_c.jpg

Next step was a little more tidying up on the upper wing surfaces. I'll finish that off after all the wires have been secured and trimmed.
The rigging lines on the fuselage were added...I give you one model Catfish....

38474689032_cc32e56a86_c.jpg

and finally for today the wings were attached!

38474690962_c84e555c4a_c.jpg

Since there are only 4 very small contact points I'm leaving that now until tomorrow at the earliest, when I will secure the remaining rigging lines to give it a little more strength.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian
PS Postie arrived today with the Pegasus Macchi M5 I bought a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. All the way from Oz!  ;D

Edited by limeypilot

now that's looking splendiferously splendid.

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

The big problem with using brass rod is, of course, that as soon as you pick it up with tweezers the paint comes off again!

Unless of course you simply wrap a small piece of masking tape around the end of the tweezers!

...which I always forget to do!

Splendid job Ian. Very informative too. Was never too sure about the rotary set ups on these types of floatplane.

Regards, Steve

Thanks for a super update Ian. That really is an impressive piece of modelling.

Does this mean that you are going to enter a Macchi M5 into this GB too?

P

21 hours ago, hendie said:

now that's looking splendiferously splendid.

Unless of course you simply wrap a small piece of masking tape around the end of the tweezers!

...which I always forget to do!

Many thanks Hendie!

I tried that too, but the little edges of the tape kept catching on the rigging! I think I'll invest in some metal primer.....

9 hours ago, stevehed said:

Splendid job Ian. Very informative too. Was never too sure about the rotary set ups on these types of floatplane.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Steve! Neither was I to be honest. The website of Les Retro-planes d'Argentueil has been a huge help!

9 hours ago, pheonix said:

Thanks for a super update Ian. That really is an impressive piece of modelling.

Does this mean that you are going to enter a Macchi M5 into this GB too?

P

Cheers P! No, there won't be a Macchi in this GB, but it's a kit I've been searching for for a while, and I just happened to Google it a few weeks ago and up it popped! It really is a great little kit, with very nice surface detail. I'll reserve rating it until I get to compare it to plans though!

Today's task was to complete the rigging. So with that in mind, the remaining lines were threaded, pulled taut, and secured, either with a small piece of tape, or a miniature clothes peg. They were then secured with CA. After letting it all dry properly, the loose ends were carefully trimmed off with a new scalpel blade, and the job is now complete!

37810974984_ede7f5b1f7_c.jpg

37810973304_f21e271811_c.jpg

37639243045_33be3b3faf_c.jpg

37810970494_234c1522d0_c.jpg

37810969234_301e4510aa_c.jpg

That's where she'll stay for today. I'm off three days this coming week, so I should be able to put this one in the cabinet before next weekend!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

That is truly first class Ian. Very difficult to guess that that is a vacform model.

P

I'm truly impressed by the excellent modelling work in display! As I said above, this model could pass for a real aircraft in a museum. Very well done :worthy:

Cheers

Jaime

On 11/20/2017 at 1:18 PM, pheonix said:

That is truly first class Ian. Very difficult to guess that that is a vacform model.

P

Thanks P! It's just like scratchbuilt without the hassle of moulding my own bits!

On 11/20/2017 at 3:00 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

Lovely kit and superb job on the rigging!

Many thanks John!

On 11/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, jrlx said:

I'm truly impressed by the excellent modelling work in display! As I said above, this model could pass for a real aircraft in a museum. Very well done :worthy:

Cheers

Jaime

I'm flattered Jaime! I don't think it's quite that good, but I am very happy with how it's all come together. One of my favourite builds, certainly!

Today I started on the final touches. Cleaning up the wings where the rigging left marks was worrying me a little, but some careful sanding, a little PPP, and a fine paintbrush have left little to no trace of the marks. A final dusting with pastels and a gloss coat should hide it all very nicely. The prop hub got painted, and then I started on the tail. First off I added the skid, which I'd made up previously, then it was time to try to attach the stabiliser. That was not much fun, trying to get the brass rod bent to the right angles and cut to the right lengths at the same time took a while - I couldn't use the drawings as they aren't very accurate in that area. Eventually after a lot of trial and error I bit the bullet, put some CA on the ends of the struts and went for it. I think it's about as straight as I could possibly get it so I'm happy with that! The bracing wires were next and that went ok until I cut the wrong one when trimming the ends..so after a few choice expletives, I redrilled the hole on one side of the horizontal stabiliser, being careful not to dislodge the wire coming up from the underside (I'd deliberately done it with one run from bottom to top).....and replaced the upper wire. Job done, rudder attached. All that's needed now is some touching up on the black paint.

38541466742_0f34229e79_c.jpg

37684986925_92f9c37111_c.jpg

One last "major" task to go...the wingtip floats. I need to finish the wings first so I'll prepare the float mounts, then finish the wings. They'll need to dry before the floats can be fitted, but we're definitely on the home stretch now!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Excellent job on the tail. That even looks difficult! Brass rod is clearly the material to use there - must remember that for the future.

P

Again, excellent job on the tail!

Cheers

Jaime