Donnet-Lévêque Type A, Libramodels, 1:72

Brandy

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm very happy with that!

And rightly so! Excellent end result, Ian! Very well done:clap2:And thanks for explaining the technique you used. It'll come handy when I get to build a few WWI wooden biplanes I have in the stash :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is very impressive Ian. Getting a wood effect in the True Scale is very difficult but I think that I may try your method in future when I next build a model with a wood fuselage.

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

And rightly so! Excellent end result, Ian! Very well done:clap2:And thanks for explaining the technique you used. It'll come handy when I get to build a few WWI wooden biplanes I have in the stash :)

Many thanks P and Jaime! The keys are 1) Use the widest brush that fits the area to be painted, so you don't have to make more than one stroke at a time, 2) DO NOT try to "work" the paint, you'll end up removing patches and leaving a heavy dark colour around the edge which then has to be removed and/or painted over again with the base colour, 3) Be patient! One stroke at a time and let it dry (it doesn't take long). Once dry a second stroke will darken it evenly. If not dry, it will just remove paint and lighten the area being painted.

Glad you find it useful, it's certainly a lot quicker than oils!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have now added the supporting struts for the lower wing. The jig was taped on and the front struts were positioned correctly then zapped with PalsticWeld. The rear ones were glued in with ordinary plastic glue.

They were held in place during this time by slipping the wing over them to help ensure they were at the correct angle.

37444129050_221aa16e92_c.jpg

Once they were dry they were clipped to size and a trial fit was made to check that all was well

37444157020_a51138a9a1_c.jpg

The final job today was to make new tail surfaces from .020" plastic card and mark them and the wings with ribs and spars.

37444145830_13052d2655_c.jpg

Tomorrow should see a coat of white primer to seal the pencil lines, then I can remove the ailerons.

Ian

• Like 5

Great work on the wing struts! The aircraft with the wing on really looks beautiful. Very precise work on the wing ribbing as well.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Dear Ian,

I really like the wood finish you've achieved (and every other step of your model!). I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking very good indeed. This is going to be a cracking good model.

Thanks Z, I do hope you're right!

15 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is an awkward wing attachment Ian. Neat method to get the struts right - I must keep that in mind for future reference.

P

Thanks P, I don't think you need advice on using jigs.....:winkgrin:

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Lovely, lovely work Ian; I’ve just had a really enjoyable catch-up read....

Cheers Steve, glad you're enjoying it as much as I am!

9 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great work on the wing struts! The aircraft with the wing on really looks beautiful. Very precise work on the wing ribbing as well.

Thanks Jaime! I only hope I can find a way to attach it that is strong enough!

So for today's update, we have the following for your delectation...

I gave the wing undersides and tail surfaces a quick blast of white today to seal the pencil lines and stop them smudging, then removed the ailerons and elevator with a nano saw and scribing/snapping them off.

37690255182_11c3b0f171_c.jpg

Unfortunately that highlighted another error with the kit. The ribs are in the wrong place!

37674167706_42798d8b7c_c.jpg

If I'd been modelling the wing-warper this probably wouldn't be an issue, but an aileron ending between ribs?  Oh well, only one thing for it...the rib detail had to be removed. It will be replaced in the correct place later.

I then turned my attention to the floats and petrol tank. They were removed from the backing sheet and cleaned up, but the floats appeared too narrow and elliptical instead of circular in cross section. To remedy that I added a shim of .020" (0.5mm) plastic sheet between the halves. 

37690250252_6c44c5977e_c.jpg

Those are drying over night before a clean up and assessment of the final shape. I think the fronts of the floats need to be thickened up a little, so the Miliput may have to come out again....

Ian

• Like 3

Excellent work Ian!

It was a shame about the rib positions, but you will overcome the issue, I am sure!

It was lovely work with the pencil-line ribs and the matt white overcoat.

Ray

• Like 1

Today was spent mostly looking at drawings and photos and trying to work out what was wrong with the wings.
 The drawings in French Aircraft of the First World War show more ribs than the reproduction aircraft, and also show the floats (which are directly under the struts) one rib further outboard than the end of the ailerons. The struts should be at the end of the ailerons! The pic of the Austro-Hungarian machine also shows the shorter lower wings, as does the original in Paris, with the outer struts right at the end, whereas the drawings and the repro both show the wing extending out one rib further. The Paris aircraft appears to have much shorter wings though...
 My problem was to try to find where the error was - Were the wings too long or were the ailerons too long?
 The rib count was off anyway so I discounted that. The wings didn't look too long compared to the pic when held at a similar angle, and comparing the width of the tail, and where the end appeared to be relative to the wingtip, so I decided that the problem lay with the ailerons being too long. I measured the distance between the tops of the struts on the pic of the Austro-Hungarian aircraft. The distance between the main struts was 30mm and between the outer pair and the extensions it was 25mm. On the model, if I moved the ailerons 2 ribs further outboard the measurement was.... 30mm and 25mm, and it put the outer struts right at the tip of the lower wing! 

Eureka!

The actual distance may not be exactly right, but the proportions were, so it would at least look right!

So...I chopped the end 2 ribs off the ailerons and glued those bits back onto the wings.

37696312686_4027b0fe03_c.jpg

After all that trouble marking everything out and carefully measuring, I had got it wrong! So much for the drawings! (Of course there's no guarantee that I have it right now either, but it should at least look right!)

Now I will need to spend a little time blending the repairs back into the wing, and painting out the extra spar that the ailerons had. Oh well, it'll keep me out of mischief!

After that, I spent a little time humming to myself and sanding down the floats and fuel tank.....

37712891702_12850e9471_c.jpg

Then I went for a beer...

Night all!

Ian

• Like 6

Well sorted on the ailerons Ian.

Tbh I only come to your builds for the quality woodwork! :D

I think your technique for simulating wood effects is just outstanding.:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Well sorted on the ailerons Ian.

Tbh I only come to your builds for the quality woodwork! :D

I think your technique for simulating wood effects is just outstanding.:thumbsup2:

Well that's a relief, no problems if the rest is crap then!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the wood technique. To be honest, it's something I first tried when I was about 14 or 15. I bought a Veeday Albatros DXI/Pfalz DIII kit, neither of which were available in mainstream kits at that time (sent a cheque by post and waited, as we had to back then!). I still have the kit, unfinished, but I did the woodwork by not stirring the leather colour properly, and was impressed by how it looked. I've just refined the method slightly over the last few years! Maybe I should finish it, well the Alby at least......

Today's progress consisted of finishing off the corrections to the wing and remarking the ribs, and a little more work on the floats and fuel tank. 
 I've added .020" rod for the two fillers, and a piece of copper wire under the rear end for the oil feed. A small piece of aluminium tube has been added at the front and will serve as an attachment point for a piece of thin copper wire for the fuel feed line.

37506229880_d3fe3d8e2b_c.jpg

37506230720_e087a2bb3d_c.jpg

A quick blast of white tomorrow morning should show if any further work is required. If not, I can start drilling strut and rigging holes!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

A quick blast of white tomorrow morning should show if any further work is required. If not, I can start drilling strut and rigging holes!

Ian

Good luck Ian, I am sure things will go well for you!

Ray

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 4:17 PM, stevehed said:

Looks like a good recovery is on the cards Ian. Seems like a proliferation of different measurements put the cat amongst the pigeons ?

Regards, Steve 

That certainly didn't help matters, that's for sure! I don't think I can be too fussy about getting the measurements right on this one, as I haven't found anything that states definitively what they actually were!

A little more progress has been made over the last couple of days....yesterday all the strut locator pin holes were drilled, and the wings, tail surfaces and floats were all given a coat of CDL (the wing undersides only at this point). Then today the wing upper surfaces got another coat of white primer. That revealed a little more work needed on the grafts, so while the skim of PPP filler was drying I did the rudder, fuel tank, and floats. By the time they were done the filler had dried, so that was sanded down, and the white was resprayed. All is now well on the wings, so the next job will be to mask the ribs on the upper surfaces for the first coat of CDL.

37089291454_15d1b151c9_c.jpg

37089289784_acb89b6852_c.jpg

37089293824_52e919feab_c.jpg

Ian

• Like 4

I've just caught up with this one. 

I love the work you've done so far, especially on the beautifully contoured fuselage and the wooden finish. This is exceptional model making and extremely inspiring.

• Like 1