It's the Green Kawanishi... ** FINISHED **

Foxbat

Without a two pronged crown; although I was tempted to an H6K Mavis with twin fins, I actually going to attempt the N1K1 Kyofu (Rex), which lost it's floats to become the N1K1-J Shiden (George) as I'm much more likely to actually finish it.

A little background from Wikipedia: Kawanishi's N1K was originally built as a single pontoon floatplane fighter to support forward offensive operations where no airstrips were available, but by 1943 when the aircraft entered service, Japan was firmly on the defensive, and there was no more need for a fighter to fulfill this role. The requirement to carry a bulky, heavy float essentially crippled the N1K against contemporary American fighters. Kawanishi engineers, however, had proposed in late 1941 that the N1K would be the basis of a formidable land-based fighter too, and a land-based version was produced as a private venture by the company.

This is a placeholder while I sort out picture hosting, and until the postie has been with the actual kit.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 3

A like from me too for that.

And for those too young to remember it...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwju9saB_KfWAhWqI8AKHWpTC3kQ3ywIKDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkTvKaLW5bu8&usg=AFQjCNEdm2GpCpl5XVhqilTaIumZYSqH7Q

A fabulous piece of music (IMHO) which was allegedly about the evils of having too much money.

Peter Green eventually gave most of his away, If I remember correctly.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiXdQPoWf3-_gVjW3gSaJVwq0XFg

Experiment from OneDrive to see if I can upload pictures.Apparently I can't. Can't from Flickr either, there's something in the URLs that the forum doesn't like. Ironically, it will still accept Photobucket ones no problem, but nobody will be able to see them :(

Edited by Foxbat

Postie's been so here's some sprue shots to keep you going. First up, the airframe:

3rrTn84.jpg

Secondly, the canopy, beaching trolley and markings:

59jRlk2.jpg

Construction will start imminently. Waiting for Postie 2, The Sequel now with some interior green, and a kit for my second build...

Andy

Insatiable shopper. 

• Like 3

Progress. I've daubed some paint in the general direction of various components then given them  a wash to try and bring out some detail. It's all more than a bit Monet but I think the tiny cockpit aperture will hide the worst excesses. I've got to paint and install the engine and then I can button her up.

Cockpit:

YCdatGE.jpg 

General internals:

OlJSmiD.jpg

Andy

Progressing

• Like 2

This thing really is falling together in classic Tamiya style, which is fortunate because if it was up to me we'd still just be looking at the box and pondering. 

First up is the engine. Look long and hard at this picture - between the big sticky-out bit and the front ring that goes on later this is the first and last you'll see of it:

S7sc55H.jpg

Fuselage is buttoned up next, the cockpit tub pops in afterwards from below:

gPl1sOC.jpg

As hoped, the tiny cockpit opening hides a lot of sloppy painting. Like the detail in a proper build, we know it's there but no one will ever see it, which is nice.

rjyeZEv.jpg

Andy

Coming along nicely.

• Like 2

Last progress report for today. Wings are on. I noticed when cropping the photo that the cockpit had shifted. I've fixed it, bit the photo will have to stand for now:

SisRPWW.jpg

Remember what I said about the engine? Even I didn't expect this:

jKjGary.jpg

Still having fun though :)

Andy

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Great start and great progress, Andy! I liked the detailing of the cockpit. Very well done!

You're too kind. I'm finding even in 1/48 my eyes can't cope with fine detail anymore, the first two sets of pictures I took of what I thought was a finished cockpit were scary. Took almost as long making good after that as it did making the original mess. 

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

My first attempt at airframe fettling was not what I expected (see above). Not only did the cockpitshift, but there were gaps you could drive a bus through - very unusual for Tamiya. The obvious solution was the one I went with: I ripped the wings off and had another go. 

Second attempt was much better. Everything fit, everything was where it was meant to be, all ship shaped (well, flying boat shaped, near enough in context :) ) and those pesky gaps could now be hidden with paint and good wishes instead of half a tube of putty. In celebration, I wafted a selection of hairy sticks around. Then did it again. And a third time - Tamiya acrylic really REALLY needs to be coaxed on. I used XF-70 to represent D2 instead of the specified XF-11 meant to represent D1 as I'd seen  a couple of builds on the net and it looked good. Then I read this thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027449-a6m5c/ and decided a wash of Vallejo black green ink (72090) was in order as Nick Millman suggested XF-70 is a little light.

A first coat of XF-12 went on the undersides and already they're a thing of beauty. The description and lid would have you believe this is a light grey, but the actual paint has a hint of green in it, so the end result is kind of a faded RAF Sky (at least it is in my workroom, your eyes and my photos may vary).

That brings me to here:

VxqaDw4.jpg

And also here. Note that the actual colour is completely different to the naked eye compared to a photo taken with flash:

Np4Wf7O.jpg

Another coat (or 2) and it'll be decals and finishing. That'll be a novelty round these parts :D

Andy

Slapping another coat on as we speak.

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 4

Apropos of nothing, I wondered how much difference swapping the floats for conventional undercarriage and associated gubbins made. The best answer I can get from Google is the N1K1 floatplane weighed 2750 Kg empty while the N1K1-J land based interceptor was 2656 Kg empty. Interesting that there was only a saving of 94 Kg or 3% The big difference must have been in aerodynamics, and turning ability; I wouldn't fancy trying to get that float out of the way of an enemy fighter in a hurry :o 

@Foxbat I expect the float would have affected the centre of gravity too. Plus the drag from the float and the inertia from that big weight hanging beneath the aircraft must have affected the roll rate. Definitely wouldn't fancy trying to get out of the way of an enemy fighter in a hurry!

• Like 2

I've been playing with the main float (you see what I did there?). Built, painted, lightly weathered, THEN sanded and repainted - will I ever learn? It's quite a nice looking objet all on its lonesome:

V0uifVy.jpg

I had to see what it looked like in situ. Definitely looks the part, and has got me eager to crack on and get this finished now:

TArSKBK.jpg

Andy

• Like 5

The drag from the floats must have cost it 25% in top speed and even more in range.  Haven’t seen one of these beasts, but she looks very good, she looks like she would  have been really good as a land-based fighter!  Loving the build, Andy!

Ian

• Like 1