Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Wrong train Joe, you needed to get the north Kent line for that I think.

I can remember seeing it there with the proud Airfix Sign fixed to the roof ( See drawing 4) LOL.

Simon.

Ah, I got the factory wrong. It was definitely the Pompey train I was on.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The french PO can do much better ( worse ) than that.

Thanks John - I think the French services do most things better than ours... I was certainly impressed (again) by the street cleaners when we were on holiday. Pity they start so early though.

5 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Underside painting looks good. Not an easy masking job with all that crinkley tin. I hope it comes out OK. I would progressively burnish one corrugation at a time.

Thanks Nigel :) Ah yes, there you are you see... the famous Heath patience at work again. Have you counted the corrugations!

57 minutes ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Ced, I'm late again. I do admire you for building old kits and making such a good job of them.

I had this one years ago. If I remember correctly, I think I got it in Woolworths just off Trafalgar Square. This was back in the 60's. 

I think we also passed the Airfix factory on the train going home to Portsmouth. But that was a few years, and a few gallons of falling down water has been consumed since, so I might have got it all wrong. Joe. 

Thanks Joe - very kind of you, as always. I'm starting to think I should build a decent kit but the Sunderland is just too big for me at the moment. I've looked at the Cat and the molding doesn't look too bad:

37267874376_c0217cc7e4_z.jpg

Cat bits by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... but Johnny's doing a beautiful job on the Academy one at the moment. The Gosling then. What's that like?

37267921046_82e4928c8f_z.jpg

N.F.V.A. then (normal for vintage Airfix). That said there aren't that many parts. :hmmm:

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! :D:D  Great paint job on the underside, Ced :clap: 

Can't wait to see you modelling yourself after the Spitfire flight :Tasty:  :popcorn:

Ciao

41 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

As we speak there are men already at work upon the Ced commemorative figure:

Bronze-sculpture-by-R.T.-Wallen-a-figure

16 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Is the statue entering or leaving the Gents?

Either way, it looks like a bit of a scramble.

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

But I think they reverted the scale: that must be a 72:1!! :rofl:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. I may look at buying some modern figures but I think they might be too big. Perhaps a helmet for one of the WWII figures. We'll see.

Thanks Tony - you DO make me laugh :D

... and you Pete :D I think he's on the way; see how he's ripping off his flying suit?

1 minute ago, Spookytooth said:

The Gentleman's 50 yard dash to the carzi !!!!! more like.

Great work on the 52 Ced, coming along quite quickly.

Where are flying out from Ced? Goodwood.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - yes, Goodwood. Close to the white cliffs and the needles. It also has more unrestricted airspace than Biggin so more aerobatics!

Some masking mojo tonight so I grabbed it. I have NO idea what will happen with the slats. Nigel would have carefully masked the slats separately but sorry Obe Wan, I'm much too lazy. I'll do this:

37058693320_7d6d60dc7c_z.jpg

... spray vertically and keep my fingers crossed. Here she is done:

37457497365_b29410d1c9_z.jpg

Tailplane struts. Sagum wrazzen frazzen struts. /Muttley mode. They'll need touching up.

Sprayed RLM70:

36645589123_f30e443cb9_z.jpg

More masking tomorrow. Oh joy.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, CedB said:

36595712564_a0408d7ec5_z.jpg

I'm glad to see you're taking my advice Ced.

One other bit of advice, do not eat the Wotsits that Mike or John put in the package. They're always stale.

Edited by Beard
to remove an @member thing and to correct spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill, very kind. Hopefully the top bit will turn out well too :)

While we're waiting for that to dry, this arrived in the post:

37448072355_dee8dcff39_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Honestly, can't these people READ??!! Luckily John at MJW packs things really well:

36595712564_a0408d7ec5_z.jpg

It even has some of those squidgy foam things that I like for masking. Nice.

Yes, it's a TR.9 and yes it will be built after 'THE flight' to represent the aircraft I fly in. So excited!

All I need now is a 1/72 chubby old bloke pilot figure and some ident letters...

You've seen why we box up the kits we send out! I'm responsible for the packing of kits as my Dad can't tear himself away from his computer! Anyway glad it survived some RM punishment and hope to see the result!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the thought of Ced aviating in a Spitfire.  A Spitfire ffs! Respect and envy vie for supremacy inside the fritag head......:D

You'll need a bit of air combat banter Ced :) so you can casually drop into conversation phrases like: the combat egg, high and slow speed yo yo's, potential verses actual energy and high and slow slow speed scissors.

Don't forget to check your six regularly and remember to use the word 'tally' when you spot another aircraft i.e. "tally! right, two o'clock low, 2 miles, left to right" or when you see the aircraft that the front seater has reported to you (its always 'tally' for an enemy or assumed enemy and 'visual' for a confirmed friend).

Lookout is a competitive sport - so make sure you spot a couple before the front seater! (make em up if need be :))

Cor wot a blast.  And wot a tale to tell at Telford :clap2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm glad to see you're taking my advice Ced.

One other bit of advice, do not eat the Wotsits that Mike or John put in the package. They're always stale.

That's so cheesy! 😙🎶

• Haha 4

Thanks Steve :) Great to have some up-to-date banter to add to the "Cabbage crates over the briney":

Thanks John - a Tiger Moth is great though eh? Memories... I have a hat thanks that was given to me at the end of a contract when I was learning to fly:

37328465101_4804a42b20_z.jpg

Idiot in a hat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Classy eh? Makes me look a bit like Molly :D

Thanks Ian - cheesy! :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

Nice new kit Ced, maybe we'd all better delve into spares box land in The Quest For Ced

Funny thing occurred to me just reading Steve's missive

"High low power egg visual tally.........."

How many of us think these RAF geezers spent much their time flying inside a slightly different universe to the one we was paying them for?

Tee hee, you can tell he's jealous can't you*

The hat Ced

You've GOT to wear the hat at Telford, it's wonderful

*in other news, me too!

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Bill :D You want me to wear the hat OUTSIDE! Hmmm, what about my stylish image? What? Oh, right, too late eh...

Masking a Ju-52. Nasty. I had a brain wave last night ("Oh no, not another one") and remembered the Panzer Putty. That should 'sink' into the corrugations eh?

Proper modellers can follow Nigel's advice and burnish down tape in the corrugations. Lazy modellers read on...

Floats masked as per usual:

37296802512_971b98ea79_z.jpg

Test the Panzer - tools ready and sample cut:

36657574603_9cd6349bca_n.jpg 36657596193_65dfe9c16d_n.jpg

One of the worries about this stuff is that is 'creeps'. I think that only happens if it's too thick. After an hour:

37297753242_79495bb351_z.jpg

One hour later by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Some creep but it won't be on for long. He thinks. It does settle nicely into the corrugations with gentle pressure:

37327736381_57b7585a74_z.jpg

Then I panicked - what if it creeps down the corrugations? Better get the wings done - I'll tackle the fuselage later:

36618758234_47cfd7054d_z.jpg

Did it work? Well, it certainly stayed in the corrugations (why don't I cut and paste that word - I keep typing it wrong):

23476614088_eaba175d41_z.jpg

... and the lines stayed straight:

37328315201_4f1dd7b6be_z.jpg

See?

37328323841_81c4f61e58_z.jpg

Unlike my nerves which are shot now. I may brush paint the fuselage, just for some relaxation.

I'll have a think.

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

You've GOT to wear the hat at Telford, it's wonderful

I concur! Way better than wearing the BM badge. 

Ok, maybe you want to wear both, sorry Mike :whistle::D

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio - I shall just hope that memories of 'the hat' have faded before November, although it is only SIX WEEKS away! :)

Thanks Simon :) The hat is very hot with all that Sheepskin so no, it doesn't get worn for long.

Thanks Keith - Molly says 'Woof!' :D

Thanks John - great hat? So kind... :)

Not wanting to fight with the putty on the sharp angles on the fuselage I decided to take Nigel's advice and burnish tape into the corrugations (copy that word):

37301192732_b90f09f2ef_z.jpg

A strange calm came over me as I gently ran a cocktail stick down the corrugations, much as I would imagine happens to a Rabbit just before it gets flattened. What's the 'Watership Down' term? 'Thrarn' is it? (quick search). Oh hell, Google showed me 'cheap flights to Tehran' when I searched for that... now I'm bound  to be on a list somewhere :shutup:

Soon (time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so) the fuselage was masked and the RLM71 sprayed along with some '70 on the cowlings:

37302253932_571c4c76cd_z.jpg

Some time later (see above) the masking was removed. Ta dah!

37076755930_608fdc8ae2_z.jpg

Did the white band survive? Sort of:

37076760150_dc78d4911b_z.jpg

Just one bit of blue. BUT look at that bare patch on the fuselage - weird. Just that one place. Did I wash the parts? Er, no, forgot. I usually sometimes run over the whole model with IPA before priming. Forgot this time. Ho hum.

I've been fretting about those 'not ejector marks but float locating marks'. It's true that they seem to be where the struts go but the struts have pegs on and there are no holes:

37303203232_b43bfd3217_z.jpg

I think I'll chop the pins off to give a flatter join. We'll see.

Note though that there are HUGE holes where the undercarraige would go - they'll need filling. Rats.

• Like 15

Oh, that looks great and very tidy on the "Wellblech". Like it very much. And of course as it looks more like a LW Norm 72 scheme of the 70th Phantoms, which is my favourite one of the post war area. Good job. Oh just saw the fuselage is done while typing. Again great. She will look well in the end after all the ranting and raving. Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Er, no, forgot. I usually sometimes run over the whole model with IPA before priming. Forgot this time. Ho hum.

Awe Ced, what a waste of good IPA? By all means use a can of Carlsburg but why waste good beer? :drink:;)

Great lines with the Panzer putty. What's the story with this stuff then? Do I need some in my life? :hypnotised:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CedB said:

BUT look at that bare patch on the fuselage - weird. Just that one place

Aaarggh! I hate when that happens :badmood: Great job with the rest of the camo, though - very neat job :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1