Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

I believe Giorgio will sleep soundly this night

Definitely so - albeit still at the workbench, dealing with scratch building wheel leg actuators and about to refine the vacformed inner covers ... :frantic: 

Ciao

• Like 2

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh dear ... and this is not even Bill's thread to ask for a new English (or whatever that was) lesson .... :D:D

Ciao

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Again Giorgio, you are not alone....!!

Keith

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced dear friend will you please, please forgive my foray into the harsh, terrifying world of Monty Python's Flying Circusss

I seem to have sent Giorgio into an awful tizzy

And the Welsh chap

;)

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You lost me after that first line Bill - but I get it now. I think....!! :P :winkgrin:

The Welsh chap

11 hours ago, perdu said:

A more lucent disclosure awaits the intrepid traveller in the Gannetting thread

I believe Giorgio will sleep soundly this night

Purrups  :)

I meant of course TRANSlucent  :(

wibble

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Definitely so - albeit still at the workbench, dealing with scratch building wheel leg actuators and about to refine the vacformed inner covers ... :frantic: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, Bill and Keith - nice to see the Python fans are still active :D

And now for something completely different...

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This kit has me afraid.

I'm afraid I would have to cut bits off it.

Whilst humming the Where Eagles Dare theme.

Admiring your poise and humour Ced: looks like that classic Ladybird book  'Peter and Jane Have Fun With Struts' lies in your immediate future.

Thanks Tony - not a kit for the faint hearted, for modellers or, to be honest, for much fun. Ho hum, vintage Airfix; just for the nostalgia (IMHO) :)

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Very nice Ced. Thumping her into shape good and proper. You're making a great job of this, those window gaps looked 'orrible. but you seem to ride the waves beautifully. :lol:

Jammy so and so with the Spitfire. Gem nearly got me one for my 40th then she saw the price. :o I'll wait until retirement then. ^_^

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) Spitfires are expensive, it's true. I regret not flying in Concorde and it was partly the cost that put me off, but also the thought that 'I can always do it later'. Not true as it turned out, sadly. Now I'm actually retired my attitude has changed a bit, partly due to 'annuity suppliers' (who I've avoided) gambling on how long I'll live when they set the payout. Not for me thanks. I'm still working on how the rest of my life will pan out (aren't we all) but two things are in the front of my mind at the moment:

Hunter S. Thompson

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

And

"I refuse to exchange any of my current pleasures for an extra few weeks in the nursing home"

I've Googled for that quote and the only things I can find are my posts here on BM. I don't think I thought that up - if anyone can find where I got it from it'll be appreciated!

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good work on the canopy!

I wasn't aware there was black militput!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime - first time I've used it but, as with all Nigel's techniques, works a treat! :)

Wisely or not, I've attached most of the remaining bits prior to priming:

36570296364_c7fc46f746_z.jpg

36570289014_fb7db3098c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I know it's often best to leave these off until the end but, with this kit, fitting the bits often requires some patching up and I don't want to do that twice!

Canopy mask, fiddle with float struts and clean up, prime.

• Like 10

Good to see this nearly all together Ced. The polished canopy looks a lot better.
For the floats and struts - a jig will probably help keep all lined up nicely. Plus it's always nice to get the old Lego out :).

'CedB; Spitfire pilot'. Now that's retiring in style :king:!

Best regards
TonyT

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks TT - the Lego will certainly be out! :)

Thanks Johnny - live by the quotes I shall! :D

I decided to get out a bit today so went down to the FAA museum.

After an hour's drive the first thing I headed for when I arrived (my old colleagues guessed it) was the Gents! Pathetic.

It's the first time I've been to the museum for a while when there's no model show on and it was nice to be able to see the exhibits.

I was hoping to get some motivation and a nice model for my next build but the only floatplane was the Walrus (come on Airfix!) and there was nothing in the shop that took my fancy.

Nice trip though.

Just now I sprayed the primer on the bits:

37430913445_183f26abf8_z.jpg

... and on the main aircraft:

37430931655_975840c7b7_z.jpg

... double passing in some areas to give some variation. Honest.

In a cunning plan that cannot fail I used white primer around the tail where the white band is on the scheme:

37032358740_09160a07b2_z.jpg

... that will also give me some 'experience' masking the corrugated surface.

Of course I knocked off the pointy bit on the nose (just in front of the canopy).

Some people never learn.

The nose seam also split where I'd shoved a rod up the hole to hold it with.

Some people never learn.

37032360100_e8eaa6f7c0_z.jpg

It's been re-glued and clamped.

Ready for the RLM65 underside later, probably tomorrow.

• Like 14

Ill-mannered oaf that I am Ced I neglected to compliment you on MM'ing that canopy into renewed translucence previously. Must say that you're a dab hand at said task. Is it some kind of MM pads that you use?

HST quote highly necessary. The good Doctor is sorely missed and would  doubtless have had that bilious scrote in the Whitehouse gnawing his own knees off in fury by now.

Selah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony :)

I used Micromesh stuck onto the electric eraser (q.v.) punched out from a sheet using one of the punches you kindly sent me. It's an easy process; just don't press and use decreasing grades and finally the liquid polish that came with the Micromesh pad set. Great stuff.

15 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Selah

Caught me. Yes, I looked it up to find out that no-one knows what it means. Hebrew, hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good use of the black Milliput, as you say, that's exactly what I would have done there. Glad you that some of my techniques are of use to you. I was also going to say that I think you have added some of the sticky out bits far too early but I think you know that now. I think it's a lesson you will remember . I wouldn't add things like masts and DF looking loops until after the decals were on at least.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

After an hour's drive the first thing I headed for when I arrived (my old colleagues guessed it) was the Gents!

Comes to us all Ced. Well, some of us anyway, sometimes an hour is an achievement for me '...!

Last time I went to Yeovilton museum when the model show wasn't on, XH558 was doing circuits & touch & go's. And she was still owned by the RAF....!!

5 hours ago, CedB said:

... that will also give me some 'experience' masking the corrugated surface.

And I bet that will be an experience. Maybe not one to savour...!

5 hours ago, CedB said:

split where I'd shoved a rod up the hole to hold it with.

You really are cutting down on the use of the old 'fnarrs' these days...!!

More good progress, you'll have the thing beaten in no time! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oh for goodness sake, I thought you were on holiday and then I find you've secretly been building up your own personal Luftwaffe! Only just found this thread! Looking good, gawd knows how you'll mask stuff off with all that crinkly tin about. Right I'm off to page 1 to catch up! :smirk:

• Like 1

Glad I wasn't the only one who was late. I would suggest  Friskfilm  or Friskette for masking the crinkly stuff it's very thin and conforms well.

I know the feeling about having to go regularly, at least here in France it is quite normal to just stop at the side of the road to attend to nature, well for men anyway.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Civilised savagery, les Francais do have much to commend them

For we elderly types. 😊

T u b e g l u e. Do the nose with tube glue and when it sets you can even file the oozed out bits into submission

I found I was getting too used to thin liquid that doesn't have built in strength, I learnt

Use tube glue for long joints and wash it in after a short length with a bit'o'thin, works wonders

Glue dab glue dab relax

I wish I lived close enough to Yeovilton to make a quick visit, then I remember its only forty mins to Cosford from here and in rarely even pop in there....

😠

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great to see primer going on, Ced :clap: I'm also very curious to see how you deal with that corrugated surface - scares the heck out of me, TBH :analintruder:  :frantic: 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

T u b e g l u e. Do the nose with tube glue

At the risk of sounding highly uneducated, can I please ask what exactly is tube glue?  TIA

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Hmm

How can we solve THIS one kids?

I know

Buy an Airfix Starter Set, any one you like with pots of coloured goo in it

It will also have a nice little paintbrush, very satisfactory brushes usually

It will also have a little tube of an aromatic adhesive substance

This my dear friend is t u b e g l u e

I used to buy Humbrol's Britfix before Airfix began giving it away 😉 but I think Revell used to do tube glue too

Polystyrene Adhesive

OK?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Bill :thumbsup:  I knew it was glue in a tube, just wondering about the exact kind of glue - should have phrased my question better :)

Polystyrene Adhesive, that's the deal :thumbsup: Never used any on my models - prior to discovering Tamiya Green Cap all I used was CA. I know, I know :chair:  :banghead: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Good use of the black Milliput, as you say, that's exactly what I would have done there. Glad you that some of my techniques are of use to you. I was also going to say that I think you have added some of the sticky out bits far too early but I think you know that now. I think it's a lesson you will remember . I wouldn't add things like masts and DF looking loops until after the decals were on at least.

Thanks Nigel :) "Some of my techniques are of use..."? ALL of them dear chap, although some of them are beyond my skills at the moment, I'm hoping / trying to get better! I'm even thinking about getting a soldering iron (if I can find a kit that deserves it!)

Leave the pointy bits off - got it.

Thanks Keith :) A Vulcan doing touch and gos - that MUST be a memory to treasure. I am cutting down on the fnarrs as some members gently commented and, to be honest, it's not the reputation I was after!

Hi Phil :) Welcome!

Thanks John - Friskfilm eh? Must get some of that. I know Joe (@Fatboydim) is using Artool Ultra Mask now so I wonder if that's similar? Sorry to hear you're having the same loo-break problem but at least French motorways have frequent stops!

Thanks Bill and Giorgio :)

I do use tube glue (saved from starters and old kits) for things I want to move about a bit and where there's a big hole (like the pointy bits on this one). I have a drawer full so I don't think I'm going to run out soon:

36595465444_81e30176b7_z.jpg

I'll certainly try to remember to use it for long joins where I need the strength. For interest (?) here's the 'glue area' of the bench:

37447716595_4e283c4a80_z.jpg

Glues by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Revell Contacta 'cos it has the needle applicator for little bits with small holes.

Humbrol Liquid Poly for wing joins, although the new pots I have with the yellow labels seem to be thinner and not so good?

Touch-N-Flow for long joins to save all that dip-and-blob (stored safely elsewhere)

TET for most other stuff.

Oh, and CA of various types, of course, for PE, resin and strong joins where there's NO chance of getting it all over my fingers.

Thanks Giorgio too for concerns over the masking. Done this morning:

37274907942_e5dee2f971_n.jpg 37048482480_e1579d8342_n.jpg

'Stroked' down with a cocktail stick. I thought this was going really well until I realised it was pulling out of the grooves I'd already smoothed. A few passes and, I hope, it should be good enough but I'm prepared for touch ups.

While checking the size and position of the stripe I noticed the tailwheel on the scheme. Obviously not right as the instructions show a blanking plate:

36594856984_bcd5449bfa_n.jpg 37257254706_a2bc735d6f_n.jpg

End of panic.

RLM65 thinned with Cookie's thinner 50/50 through a .2 nozzle at 10psi with a view to getting that nice variation on the finish:

37447355375_a04887ba96_z.jpg

Not sure how much of this is me and how much is the corrugations, but I had done passes from 'both directions':

37048737310_ded7696a29_z.jpg

More masking later.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

Thanks Bill, very kind. Hopefully the top bit will turn out well too :)

While we're waiting for that to dry, this arrived in the post:

37448072355_dee8dcff39_z.jpg

Honestly, can't these people READ??!! Luckily John at MJW packs things really well:

36595712564_a0408d7ec5_z.jpg

It even has some of those squidgy foam things that I like for masking. Nice.

Yes, it's a TR.9 and yes it will be built after 'THE flight' to represent the aircraft I fly in. So excited!

All I need now is a 1/72 chubby old bloke pilot figure and some ident letters...

• Like 16

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Migosh Ced that's a hell of a paint job a' coming

Bon chance mideario

😨

Agreed! :D:D  Great paint job on the underside, Ced :clap: 

Can't wait to see you modelling yourself after the Spitfire flight :Tasty:  :popcorn:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 2

Hello Ced, I'm late again. I do admire you for building old kits and making such a good job of them.

I had this one years ago. If I remember correctly, I think I got it in Woolworths just off Trafalgar Square. This was back in the 60's. 

I think we also passed the Airfix factory on the train going home to Portsmouth. But that was a few years, and a few gallons of falling down water has been consumed since, so I might have got it all wrong. Joe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fatboydim said:

I think we also passed the Airfix factory on the train going home to Portsmouth. But that was a few years, and a few gallons of falling down water has been consumed since, so I might have got it all wrong. Joe. 

Wrong train Joe, you needed to get the north Kent line for that I think.

I can remember seeing it there with the proud Airfix Sign fixed to the roof ( See drawing 4) LOL.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1