Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Thanks Benedikt :) Not too much social networking action from the daughter as it turned out, thankfully. I think they should call it anti-social networking!

Thanks Giorgio :) As Jaime, who recommended it to me, says (thanks Jaime) it's Alclad - good stuff.

Thanks Ian - it is coming together (see below) :)

Thanks Jaime :)

Thanks Trevor, especially for the positive thoughts! :)

Thanks Tony :D I need to watch 'Battle of Britain' again before my flight to bone up on my banter. I have "They can teach monkeys to fly better than that" ready for when I take the controls but I don't think "Repeet pleaze" will be taken in good humour!

I did look at the empennage last night and thought "That seems to fit OK" so I glued it:

36569255033_3edcd96312_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'd dropped in the hatch cover but then realised that I need to keep it clean if I'm going to use it as a tool later so it's been taken out now; the hole (and windows) will need masking of course.

The wings have some nasty flash (surprise!) and steps on the locating lugs:

37209656102_c239ddfb61_z.jpg

37238969491_8143d8ae78_n.jpg 36529154434_ec06a477c4_n.jpg

... but they seem to fit to the fuselage OK so I won't clean the steps off. I don't think.

• Like 10

Thanks Stew :D I have to admit... dressing gown. My usual (scruffy) one is in the wash and this is my 'best one'. Mrs B keeps doing Noel Coward impressions when I wear it. Oh, my dear boy, it does become so tiresome.

Tony I've watched that short again - great stuff. One of yours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Masking the windows. Hmmm. Luckily standard 6mm Tamiya tape is almost the right width. Quick trim with a new #10A:

36570793343_491ee64a64_n.jpg 37382823815_ac7f1612e3_n.jpg

The canopy has been glued and taped into the 'best' position:

37211343082_2826440f6b_z.jpg

There will need to be blending.

Wings cleaned up, glued and clamped:

37240916001_f625c40323_z.jpg

Lovely day here so going out to spread some bark on the garden. I'm sure Molly will help - not!

• Like 12

Good progress with the windows, canopy and wings, Ced. Taking shape at your usual fast pace, but no loss of care, of course.

This aircraft, though in the wheeled version, conjures memories of my childhood: there was one in a children's park called "Portugal of the little ones" in Coimbra, a city in the centre of Portugal. I used to go there every year with my parents, on our way to our summer holidays destination. It was in natural metal and used to belong to the Portuguese Air Force. I don't know if it still exists.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :D

Thanks Jaime - interesting to hear there was a Tante in a children's park - could you go inside? :)

Wings dry(ish), cleaned up (eventually) and the flap / aileron thingies stuck on the back. The pegs and holes seem strong enough to support themselves while drying:

37214850082_d31970acc0_z.jpg

There's a gap between the parts and a dangling hinge. Weird. Best picture I can find is on http://www.net-maquettes.com

9383447478_b8056c1019_b.jpg

Nothing like the kit then. I might stick a couple of bits of plastic on the end of each part to close the gap. Maybe.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Jaime - interesting to hear there was a Tante in a children's park - could you go inside? :)

As far as I can recall it was always closed. I never visited it anyway.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

So there you are, even later to the party than usual.

There used to be a Ju52 at Blackbush ( but not with floats ) many years ago, it sounded like three small boys rattling sticks around the insides of corrugated dustbins, I was also at Hearhrow when one was doing a tour of Europe in Lufthansa colours, that one sounded slightly better. I'll go back to page 1 tomorrow and catch up.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jaime :) I can resist yellow!

Thanks Benedikt - great photos. The gap has been filled. I'll take some shots later :)

Welcome John! Hiding in a GB, glad you found me :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After a bit of filing the wing fit is quite good - hopefully the right dihedral as this has no gaps:

37259339311_a61fe43296_z.jpg

... at least not on the top!

I wanted to get these on so that, when I mix some Milliput for the canopy blending, I can use the inevitable excess for filling other gappy bits.

• Like 8

Ced, 'ware tailplane dihedral

Shouldn't look as if there should be

Nudge nudge, nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

Goat

And Jean-Paul down the pub

No more Pythoagorative refs this thread, my Idleidler has stripped a throckett

😱

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Jaime :)

Thanks Bill, I think :D Any dihedral in the tailplane has been caused by the struts... They look OK and only a bit tilted and I can't be bothered to re-glue them with shortened struts.

Worth pointing out though to modellers who want to get it right, rather than just finished.

Canopy blended and other bits filled with black Milliput:

36595193483_927545b511_z.jpg

37217725836_03c4b11a1a_z.jpg

I can see why Nigel likes this stuff for canopy blending - it's almost impossible to see the join! Hopefully it'll be OK when the paint goes on.

By the way, those 'ejector marks' on the bottom aren't - they're locating points for the struts. Honest. I think.

Good job I didn't fill them in...

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Nudge nudge, nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

Goat

And Jean-Paul down the pub

No more Pythoagorative refs this thread, my Idleidler has stripped a throckett

Oh dear ... and this is not even Bill's thread to ask for a new English (or whatever that was) lesson .... :D:D

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This kit has me afraid.

I'm afraid I would have to cut bits off it.

Whilst humming the Where Eagles Dare theme.

Admiring your poise and humour Ced: looks like that classic Ladybird book  'Peter and Jane Have Fun With Struts' lies in your immediate future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You lost me after that first line Bill - but I get it now. I think....!! :P :winkgrin:

The Welsh chap

A more lucent disclosure awaits the intrepid traveller in the Gannetting thread

I believe Giorgio will sleep soundly this night

Purrups  :)

I meant of course TRANSlucent  :(

wibble

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 4

Very nice Ced. Thumping her into shape good and proper. You're making a great job of this, those window gaps looked 'orrible. but you seem to ride the waves beautifully. :lol:

Jammy so and so with the Spitfire. Gem nearly got me one for my 40th then she saw the price. :o I'll wait until retirement then. ^_^

Johnny.

• Thanks 1