Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Well done Ian - I don't think you'll regret ordering the file - I certainly didn't! :)

Thanks Rob - crikey, spending on work tools? Couldn't one of them be a small file? :wicked:

I've spent most of the day trying to sort out how I replace the business broadband line in the home office with something personal, the final step in de-coupling from the company.

Apparently I can't keep the 'btconnect' email addresses on a residential broadband account - we'll have to change to 'btinternet'.

This is a pain, especially for Mrs B whose face goes blank when you start 'talking techie'; not her thing.

After a lot of soul searching I've plumped for adding 'phone and broadband to my Sky subscription - the cheapest option.

It's surprising how quickly one's 'anti-media Mogul' morals dissolve when you see their prices. I am a tart.

As if that wasn't frustrating enough I tried dry fitting the fuselage parts. 'Sub-optimal' is not quite the term for it :deadhorse:

As if that wasn't frustrating enough, I followed Navy Bird's advice to always try fitting the canopy before close up in case it needs shimming:

36489187924_24dfabe123_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

This is not going to be one of my better builds is it?

Frustrating. There will be wine tonight.

Tomorrow I'm off to the new Aerospace Bristol museum for a volunteer's open day. Yes, I know; despite ALL my training I've volunteered.

We get a 'group activity session' (uh oh), a ‘Day in the Life’ Tour of the Museum (yes!) and a "1:2:1". Is that like an interview? Haven't had one of those since, er, let me think, 1980 something... should be fun?

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure that the canopy you have is properly formed. I have an original issue of this kit and will go and see what the fit is like for you. I certainly don't remember any problems when I built the kit as a small Martian.

Martian

• Like 3

[insert expletive here] 

I would fill in the complaints slip in the box and send it off to Haldane Place (?) pronto if I were you. All those hard earned shillings you toiled for should not be in vain.

Trevor

• Haha 5

I agree with the others Ced. You appear to have been supplied with a Fox's Glacier Mint in lieu of a canopy.

Bravo on the volunteerism: it's civic-minded persons like yourself that help to keep the past alive and memory connected to hope for the future. :worthy:

Tony

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Well done Ian - I don't think you'll regret ordering the file - I certainly didn't! :)

Thanks Rob - crikey, spending on work tools? Couldn't one of them be a small file? :wicked:

I've spent most of the day trying to sort out how I replace the business broadband line in the home office with something personal, the final step in de-coupling from the company.

Apparently I can't keep the 'btconnect' email addresses on a residential broadband account - we'll have to change to 'btinternet'.

This is a pain, especially for Mrs B whose face goes blank when you start 'talking techie'; not her thing.

After a lot of soul searching I've plumped for adding 'phone and broadband to my Sky subscription - the cheapest option.

It's surprising how quickly one's 'anti-media Mogul' morals dissolve when you see their prices. I am a tart.

As if that wasn't frustrating enough I tried dry fitting the fuselage parts. 'Sub-optimal' is not quite the term for it :deadhorse:

As if that wasn't frustrating enough, I followed Navy Bird's advice to always try fitting the canopy before close up in case it needs shimming:

36489187924_24dfabe123_z.jpg

This is not going to be one of my better builds is it?

Frustrating. There will be wine tonight.

Tomorrow I'm off to the new Aerospace Bristol museum for a volunteer's open day. Yes, I know; despite ALL my training I've volunteered.

We get a 'group activity session' (uh oh), a ‘Day in the Life’ Tour of the Museum (yes!) and a "1:2:1". Is that like an interview? Haven't had one of those since, er, let me think, 1980 something... should be fun?

Hello Ced,

I'm not sure if this helps but;

Its not supposed to be horizontal on the top side frame. It should fit fine if you just snug it in back where it wants to go.

Use the bottom rear corners to position it.

Its an unusual, angular fit on the real thing:

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

Note how the top of the canopy angles down from the corrugated roof. Airfix have it more or less right, just shuffle it back.

IIRC the Airfix canopy will maybe just need a little blending at the front lower edge (front windows, not side). Hope this helps.

Its a Ju-52; nothing's quite normal :D

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, bbudde said:

As above, just polish it abit and this should ok after some blending.

ju-52-3m_1z-ar_61_of_96.jpg

Be a bit difficult for Han & the Alien to see where they're going if they've forgotten to remove that before flight....!! (or was X-ray vision another of Herr Hitler's secret weapons fitted to the Ju-52?!)

Keith

• Haha 3

Great work on the floats, Ced! Shame about the canopy but following the advice of the fellow modellers above should solve the challenge.

Cheers

Jaime

Ced, I think TT, BBudde and the Spad may have a point here. And I also think I should take my "humorous" comment back, that canopy is probably going to fit, albeit not perfectly. :coat:

Ciao

• Like 1

Just got back from model club and got my original issue of the kit out and taped together. As I suspected, once a bit of flash has been trimmed off the canopy fits fine with no more than a smear of Krystal Klear being needed to blend it in. The canopy you have there does not look like it has been properly moulded as the original is clear and does not exhibit much lensing. If it still does not want to fit when you have tried the remedies suggested by our esteemed colleagues, I think you would be more than justified in asking for a replacement from Airfix.

001.jpg

Martian

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ced, I think TT, BBudde and the Spad may have a point here. And I also think I should take my "humorous" comment back, that canopy is probably going to fit, albeit not perfectly. :coat:

Ciao

No need for that,  but I guess the canopy is angled down proprtional to the whole plane is angled up on the wheels on the ground. Make sense, if you look through a spinning prop in the front while taking off.  So the view is parallel to the ground. And of course this looks like something of german engineering not to angle down the front engine.

Edit: And an aerodynamic aspect of course.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think you would be more than justified in asking for a replacement from Airfix.

And keep your fingers crossed that you have more luck than many of us recently in trying to get replacement canopies (& other bits) from their 'spares' department! :angrysoapbox.sml:

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks Simon, I shall apply a smidgeon of filler! :)

Thanks Martian :) Very kind of you to get your original issue out; it certainly looks like a cleaner mould than mine! It has encouraged me to wiggle the parts around and the fit is better than when it's just plonked in (see below).

Thanks Giorgio :D Please continue with the humorous comments, they're much appreciated!

Thanks Trevor :) I think Airfix's response to old kit problems is, perhaps understandably, often unsatisfactory. I think I can probably sort it with some TLC and filler.

Thanks Tony :) I'm looking forward to the museum visit but not, perhaps, the '1:2:1'. Not nervous about it, just not looking forward to it. If they ask me 'what I think I can bring to the museum' I may not be able to stop myself groaning. Wish me luck!

Thanks Nigel :) I bought the suction tool from eModels and I don't know if they will be there, or if others will be stocking it. Bit expensive for 'a punt' I know, but recommended by me!

Thanks TT :) I think you're right that it needs to be sloped and I've tried a proper dry fit (see below)

Thanks Benedikt :) Nice solution to the 'misted canopy' problem, although as Keith says it might make forward vision a little hard! Blending... funny :D

Thanks Johnny - nudged back it will be! :)

Thanks Jaime - I'm sure it can be sorted :)

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and suggestions, a great example of BMer support - really appreciated.

Now that I'm recovered and calmed down from the episode with BT I've had a more considered and careful fit of the canopy:

36527447323_7d4b8a0f6a_z.jpg

It was fouling on the control columns and, as suggested, needs pushing back but a bit of blending at it'll be fine(ish). I think I'll need to do some Filmoplast framing though - my masking skills aren't up to trying to see the frames on that!

In other 'oooh, that's frustrating' news the rear gunner fit was challenging. I spent some time last night cursing and trying to get the gun mount over the figure and into the correct position. I haven't glued the floor in so it can slide up and down, but that means it can also fall out. Again and again. Just as well really as I've realised it'll be impossible to mask. I think I'll chop the locating pins off his feet, use the supplied cover as a temporary mask and then fit the gunner, gun and mount at the end.

This morning I dry fitted again and 'plop' everything fell into perfect positioning:

37149343626_0a849b4084_z.jpg

Let's hope I can do that again!

Right, time to get my smart togs on and go and see Concorde! Exciting...

• Like 16

Glad to see that the canopy at least fits. You will need one heckuvalot of micromesh to buff that bad boy out. Maybe you could at least get it to the right shape and then use it as a master to plunge mould a replacement?

Enjoy your visit to Concorde. Here is me in front of G-BOAF early 80's when the Merseyside Aviation Society chartered it to shuttle between Heathrow and Liverpool.

36537828913_d6466232cc_b.jpg

Can you see how excited I am at seeing a JAL 747?

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I knew it

Started another, at once, AGAIN!

:)

Oh well, looking easily fixable around the canopy if you insist on using the kit junk

sihrsc would clean that up well and you could polish it nicely afterwards with micromesh and toothpaste

But I would do what I allus does

Fill with Milliput and mould one that fits nicer and fits all round the hole

fn...

No I'll leave that to you experts

I'll be back, just popping down for another Corona Extra

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, as I know you have a fetish for any kind of tools and you don't like gardening. This would be a nice addition for you. Especially in autumn:

That made me curious Benedikt. A 'Power Broom'. It really looks powerful too!

Thinking about what you wrote; I found this one with a snow plough and many other attachments that Ced may find useful ;)

https://youtu.be/BNe8LMrfEvk

Best regards 

TonyT

PS: Good luck with the 1:2:1 Ced :thumbsup2: 

PPS: Trevor; how on earth did you jump that high :o!?

TT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1