Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

27 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Will 197 be enough? A BBC man was trying to record birdsong late one night in 1942....

Somewhat frightening, when you know they come for you. Atmospherically charged indeed. Doesn't need that for myself  surely! Thanks for that

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

looking at the colour of the uniforms you've painted the crew,

I was going to mention that too Ced - wouldn't they have worn the same tan colour flying overalls as bomber crews? But I have no idea really....!!

And I think a bit of tidy painting will make those engines look fine up at Angels three zero on the ceiling!

Keith

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And I think a bit of tidy painting will make those engines look fine up at Angels three zero on the ceiling!

You will see, when it sits in the nacelles. But for sure you have to change the front cooling cover, which is the most prominet part of the engines. So you have to make three new ones like on the Italeriones or fill the Airfix one to a half round part and drill out the cooling holes and put black color into the holes. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Holly ejector pin horror!

Thanks Nigel :) I think that's done it for me - the kit's worth a bash but not much else...

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

The problem with the engine is,  that the cylinder are too small in diameter. You can only solve that, if you wrap a small copper rod around each cylinder or you make bigger ones with a thred cutter.

The front covers seem to be incorrect if the Italeri ones are correct which seems to be

[snip pictures]

Pilots looking good as usual. Nice sink marks!! 8,8 cm flak hits caused by friendly fire?:winkgrin:

Thanks Benedikt :) Great pictures, although it's a bit unkind to include sprue shots from something decent! :D I'm going to use this as a reference:

mx04.jpg

It's in the BM walk around here and matches the kit more closely!

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice crew, horrible pin marks! :frantic:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :)

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Coming along nicely. That's some grievous mould wear on the ribbing. A small needle file run gently backwards and forwards over the offending area and then a quick wipe with extra thin cement may improve matters.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor - great tip :)

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

looking at the colour of the uniforms you've painted the crew, I think I've worked out your surprising twist in the tail on this build - they are actually a downed RAF crew and they are going to steal the JU 52 and fly it back to Britain, aren't they?

What's that ? Err .... no, I've only had a couple of glasses of wine for (blast) with lunch ........ hic.

If you ever find yourself at Munich airport with a spare couple of hours, they have a small aviation park ouside the airport and there's a Ju52 there.As we were periolously close to missing our flight back, we barely had a couple of minutes left to look at the planes as we swept regally past it in our hired skoda octavia.

Thanks John :) I know, I thought that, but I used Valljeo Model Color 70816 "Luftwaffe Uniform WWII" - perhaps they got the wrong airforce :shrug:

4 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Now I see why you were contemplating aftermarket engines Ced - the kit ones clearly have one too many cylinders!!

Thanks greggles :D

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Nicely painted crew as always Ced.

Here's an idea to throw into the mix regarding the engines:

Perhaps Airfix based them on the Prototype Ju-53/3M which was fitted Pratt and Whitney R-1340 radial engines?

Thanks TT :) Lots of interesting reference stuff there. Thanks for the book link too.

The Hannants engine is indeed a Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp and there's an impressive list of aircraft it's 'suitable for'.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Can't do 1000. Will 197 be enough? A BBC man was trying to record birdsong late one night in 1942....

[snip]

BTW, Ced, I seem to have 1 1/2 floats in the spares box. The errant half is lost in the mists of time. (It's the back bit if anyone is sweeping out the TARDIS).

Thanks Pete :) I love the way the bird seems to start shouting over the noise! Thanks for the offer of the floats - I'll see how mine turn out!

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I was going to mention that too Ced - wouldn't they have worn the same tan colour flying overalls as bomber crews? But I have no idea really....!!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) I guess it depends on the mission. Mine was to a really posh do requiring best uniform (ahem). I agree the engines might be good enough for the ceiling!

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

You will see, when it sits in the nacelles. But for sure you have to change the front cooling cover, which is the most prominet part of the engines. So you have to make three new ones like on the Italeriones or fill the Airfix one to a half round part and drill out the cooling holes and put black color into the holes. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt - see below! :)

53 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ced's list of things to do.

1/ Track down an Italeri Ju52.

2/ Gradually swap all the parts over.

3/ Hope no one notices.

4/ Win Group Build Best in Show.

5/ Celebrate with lashings of Ginger Beer.

Thanks Pete :D I'm getting close to that list!

Future modellers note that the cowlings have slots in (a pair and a single) that match the lumps on the back of the cylinders which hopefully you haven't cleaned off:

36466526423_5212e6acb6_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

What colour should the engines and cowls be from the reference shot? This is H245 and looks close enough:

37287055955_8b4b9ea9c2_z.jpg

... but happy to try another colour if I have it.

(This is the second time I've posted this - I lost a lot of edits so I've been saving as I go through. Sorry if it's confused anyone)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nie one to follow. I always liked the Airfix kit at the time.Thought it a great kit.  My one ended up in a bin hundreds of years ago now. Has anyone seen or got the Heller kit? And it was pure Heller and nothing to do with the Italeri kit.  I saw one once a very long time ago now. Lots of chat here about the Italeri one.

• Like 2

On 18/09/2017 at 5:57 AM, Paul J said:

Nie one to follow. I always liked the Airfix kit at the time.Thought it a great kit.  My one ended up in a bin hundreds of years ago now. Has anyone seen or got the Heller kit? And it was pure Heller and noyhing tod with the Italeri kit.  I saw one once a very long time ago now. Lots of chat here about the Italeri one.

Yes Paul, I've built the Heller (long ago) and still have got a couple to build.

It has a really fine surface texture. 

I won't post photos, but there's an in box review here that shows the parts. I think you'll see straight away that it's not as 'chunky' as the Italeri. No floats and not as many options/boxing, but it's just as nice in its own way.

http://karopka.ru/community/user/7710/?MODEL=214729

Well worth buying at the right price, especially suitable for a 'Where Eagles Dare' lookalike :thumbsup2: .

That colour looks fine for the engines Ced. You're going to have this finished in no time at all :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2017 at 4:54 PM, bbudde said:

As I voted for it call me in here. One question about the kit . Was the sea plane an option of this one:

689add7a8a4c3dfdc1e70e1406991244.jpg

Or were they two different kits/boxings? Never had one as I preferred the Italerie at that time. Cheers and good luck.

I built that version many years ago, complete with floats, I proudly showed my latest masterpiece to my parents and put it to one side on a chair; less than ten minutes later I sat down on the same chair.

Crunch....

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I thought that, but I used Valljeo Model Color 70816 "Luftwaffe Uniform WWII" - perhaps they got the wrong airforce

Or maybe it sould be labelled "Luftwaffe Uniform WWII as worn on the ground (apart from Herr Goering in his pretty baby blue one)''....?! :D

But the flight to a posh do sounds a good wheeze...!!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Jont - encouraging :D

Thanks TT - glad you like the engine colour :) (No comment on the nicer kit!!)

Thanks Richard - sad story, I bet there were brave tears :(

Thanks Keith - as it happens the pilot with the 'man spread' won't fit in with the console in place. He will be recycled and another subject chosen. Perhaps this one will get brown trousers (when he sees what happened to his predecessor!)

Nice part of the kit #1 - the IP transfer:

37148165911_b8ff73fc82_z.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I had to do something about the co-pilot's man spread.

36907518550_4b29c1a693_z.jpg

I could get NY's MTA to arrest him I suppose. Or just replace him with a Chubbie / Archie from the stash:

37162756891_09bf4b4849_z.jpg

That seemed best and appropriate for 'Vintage Airfix'. Aha ha ha. The pilot has a look of slight distaste eh? Oh well.

Note also the difference between the Vallejo Luftwaffe uniform and Humbrol 96. About the same difference as the Luftwaffe Uniform images on the 'net, so much variance.

Not that I care at the moment... I just want to get this one done so I can move on to another build - perhaps the Catalina or Gosling. I'm sure they'll be better :mental::deadhorse:

Archie's been fitted and had his helmet painted flat black (still wet) and the control columns have been fitted:

36491908593_42aa6de4d7_z.jpg

Note the big red button on the control console, fitting of the kit detail and very 'Men in Black'.

I was getting a bit angry by this point but I decided I should check the fit of the cockpit to make sure it wouldn't effect close up:

36491534253_c01d278ed6_z.jpg

Oh ha ha ha. I'm happy with my decision not to bother about the ejector marks now. Serves it right.

Hopefully the externals will save the day or this floatplane is going to sink...

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Thanks Giorgio :) Sadly, there isn't a reaction button for the emotion I'm feeling at the moment... but there is an emoticon >>  :rant:

Thanks Jaime, kind as always :) I'm taking careful photographs.

Thanks Keith :D Perhaps that's what a shaved Wookie looks like?

Thanks Benedikt :) shhhh, don't tell!

I wanted to see if Gator's Grip would be a suitable glue for all those windows on the planned Sunderland so I thought I'd do this one with it and prod the windows after an overnight drying.

One sure way to make someone cross is to have INVISIBLE ejector pins - especially effective on old blokes whose eyesight isn't what it used to be:

37119280246_cded3a085c_z.jpg

... and then, when they've sorted that one, hide another, smaller one further along:

36496309943_ddcb99f694_z.jpg

:rant: (there he is again)

I also read TT's suggestion on pick-up pencils in another thread and he suggests sharpening makes them work again. Ta dah!

36472395704_1584a271aa_z.jpg

He's right of course, but they still leave residue on the parts:

37119409726_98a999d6d8_z.jpg

which is a right pain with pre-painted PE as it's hard to get off without scratching the paint.

Enter the new suction pick-up tool:

37310375415_161dd5248d_z.jpg

Really pleased with it. Not only does it pick up but it holds well enough to let you run glue around the parts with a brush and then lets go, instantly! Nice. Bit pricey but looks like a quality product so should last me out.

The windows still need clamping though:

36472523414_5e848eba3f_z.jpg

I girded my (angry) loins and did the other side too; if the glue works I'll be able to close up tomorrow.

• Like 13

That IP looks great! I'm hiding mine under lashings of Flory. Btw, What is wrong with the co pilots face? He looks like Ray liotta, I can't not see him now.:fool:

by the by I think you're doing a sterling job. I'm sure she'll turn out great.

Johnny boy

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony - especially for the zoomed image! :)

Thanks Johnny - Ray Liotta after his face lift, obviously! :D

I felt like a bit of Touch-N-Flow action before bed but instead I glued the floats (fnarr fnarr! Oh, sorry, I said I'd stop that didn't I)

Nigel (my Obe Wan) asked why this might be better than a fine brush. WELL, I use TET all the time and it's great for most jobs, but when you have a long seam or two to cope with it's much better as it avoids all that dipping and (oops) blobs of glue when you have to much on the end (stop it!). This much:

36499686153_b8d5388640_z.jpg

... did both floats and I could run the needle around the float joins, concentrating on the seam, without running out of glue / weld. The flow is consistent so you don't get blobs on the model (like you might just after you dipped a brush). For big gaps you can tip the tube a bit more and a blob appears on the tip. Soon these were done:

36499809243_6fe61ef5f3_z.jpg

I'd dry fitted first and removed any flash that prevented a nice join - the 'outer' flash will be dealt with later.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

think your doing a sterling job. I'm sure she'll turn out great.

That's right! I also guess it will look fine in the end. On this one only the outer (outside) appereance is what counts. And therefore the Airfix one is not that bad., escecially in a dull dark Luftwaffe scheme. (And you will know that there are some secret things inside:whistle:) And you can look once more at the engines, when the one is "complete" and on the floats. Cheers

P.S. The clear windows look like my pair of glasses will be in some years. So no need to bother on the inside. And the ejector pins are typical for Airfix on those, although I like the concept for the windows more than singular windows on those. Only just a bit smaller (thinner) and more clear.

Edit: Oh, this one seems to go to John (Spagent) and Ced:o:hmmm::confused:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Benedikt - let's hope the outside is better than the inside! :)

The Gator's Grip has set (and cleared) on the windows and poking it doesn't make it pop out:

37320860375_414f31d4d3_z.jpg

Good news - I'll be able to use it safely for the Sunderland.

The floats are pretty horrid after the weld set:

37320547275_5971836402_z.jpg

37320552505_473d9e35e3_z.jpg

... but some sihrsc action and they're great:

37320694085_0f54dbb9d4_z.jpg

Top is after, bottom before.

If you've yet to try a sihrsc (Six inch half round second cut) file DO get one. Bill recommended it, Tony (TheBaron) sang its praises and now I'm going to join in.

Look at the seam on the bottom of that lower float. Some gentle stroking with the file and suddenly the scratchy noises stop and a smooth seam results.

Those lumps where the part was joined to the sprue? Turn the file over, gentle strokes, minutes later it's gone.

Great tool, thanks again Bill.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1