Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e - Airfix 1/72

CedB

My next build for this GB (selected from three options by popular request) is the Airfix Junkers Ju 52/3mg5e. This one:

143149-14745-70-pristine.jpg

That image is from the Scalemates entry which says that this is the 2011 release (new decals) of the 1964 tooling.

I'm quite a fan of old Airfix. I guess this is a bit of nostalgia, like 'the railways' and old cars. Good memories, not necessarily good quality. The moulds are obviously showing their age:

37070219352_73dbfaef03_z.jpg

37242291325_11640dc189_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Er, chunky. I used a contour saw to remove the parts and I've saved some of the runners in case I need some serious scrap in the future. For a Forth Railway Bridge perhaps.

As usual I intend to build OOB and, of course, it has to be the one with floats, the Staff flight, 1./Lufttransportgruppe (See) 1, Aegean Sea, 1943 theme. 65/70/71 colours. Easy. Matt White band... over the ribbed fuselage... oh heck :shutup:

• Like 22

I'm in - first row :popcorn: - and I promise I'll pay attention when time comes not to comment on the gallery thread :D  

Some serious flesh on those sprues, Ced - looks like a modern Revell 1/72 Eurofighter kit I know of (it's actually in my stash ... :confused: )

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome Giorgio! :) I'm still scraping flash off the parts. I may be gone some time...

Welcome Benedikt :) According to  Scalemates there are eight boxings of the Airfix 1964 tool so I assume they all had the floats option. That boxart is from the first issue and mine is the last. Same tooling though (sigh)

Welcome Simon :) Yep, Swiss option in the original box and, again according to Scalemates, in all the issues until the one I'm doing that had new decals. Too cool to sit at the front? Didn't you bring a cardigan? :laugh:

I've done a quick search and there are only a few builds of this on BM. Cheezburger did a nice one here (no floats) and aerotechi did a floatplane in SAS livery.

Most seem to have taken the advice on BM and gone for the Italeri kit. Eccles did a brillaint one, complete with jumpers just like the boxart, RFI here.

No, I'm not tempted, stop it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, bbudde said:

As I voted for it call me in here. One question about the kit . Was the sea plane an option of this one:

689add7a8a4c3dfdc1e70e1406991244.jpg

Or were they two different kits/boxings? Never had one as I preferred the Italerie at that time. Cheers and good luck.

Yes the original had Swiss markings and the floats. I know this because it was my first kit and I asked dad to build it for me as a Swiss Air Force example.......but with floats!

By the way, bunch up everyone I want to see this one as this it's pure nostalgia!

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice. I wasn't aware Airfix were still flogging kits this old so recently. Still nice box art and I'm sure the new decals will be good. Old kits like this can be very rewarding to build, I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 2

Hello some links; maybe of interest:

or just for fun:

The last one is from Münster : She cruises here regular above the city with a monster sound. Quite imagine what noise 1000 bombers inflight did made. Must be very frightening then. Cheers

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Yay! I found it before you finished!

I never finished my Airfix floatplane version of this, so I'll definitely be watching to see how it turns out.

Ian

Well go and get it, we're all waiting........  ;)

Good luck Ced, just one word..... corrugations verses decals  ! :frantic: 

cheers Pat

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Well go and get it, we're all waiting........  ;)

Good luck Ced, just one word..... corrugations verses decals  ! :frantic: 

cheers Pat

If it even still exists, it's in my ol' man's place back in the UK. I think it was probably binned 20 something years ago....

Ian

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

If it even still exists, it's in my ol' man's place back in the UK. I think it was probably binned 20 something years ago....

Ian

That's a shame Ian, it's too young an aircraft for you anyway something like a Straaken floatplane would be more appropriate :wicked:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Welcome again to the GB, now with your second entry! It's a great choice of subject and one which is in my wish list (perhaps not the Airfix kit, as I had a bad building experience with the Airfix Gruman Duck, also from the 1960s, but certainly the Ju-52 floatplane).

Looking forward to the build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Yay! I found it before you finished!

I never finished my Airfix floatplane version of this, so I'll definitely be watching to see how it turns out.

Ian

I finished mine back in 1964/5 both ways: I built it as a floatplane and then, when the float struts were broken in the inevitable 'play' phase, replaced the floats with the spatted wheels. Probably my first 'conversion' & I still have it.

Kevin

• Like 3

It's good to see you getting started with this one Ced.

The one I started to build around 10 years ago had a lot of flash too, especially around the float struts. I remember spending an afternoon in the garden at a table, quietly cleaning the whole kit up.

A nice memory to be honest; very calming. That kit was a white, quite brittle plastic USA release. Apparently 1965 or 1967, so it looks like this may always have been a 'flashy' kit (?).

IMG_7389.jpg

Mine is almost built now; but around 900 miles away in storage. Lacking struts and paint.

One good thing about Ju-52's is that it's not that necessary to worry about (some) gaps. Like the Ford Trimotor, quite a few places we would usually fill a gap; the real thing actually has them.

For example; a tailplane photo from a walkaround on Prime Portal:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason/ju-52_various/images/ju-52_various_43_of_54.jpg

There's a walkaround showing a few aircraft here on Britmodeller;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962430-junkers-ju-52/

Looking forward to this Ced!

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

PS: How on earth can straight lines be masked on corrugations and.....decals; how will they stay on :frantic: ??????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

PS: How on earth can straight lines be masked on corrugations and.....decals; how will they stay on :frantic: ??????

Deeply dredging my mind from when Pontius was a pilot, I recall that there is a part for covering over the dorsal gun hatch. Maybe that could be used to run over any masking tape or transfer to make sure they are bedded down.

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oooh she looks old. Good luck Ced. File, file, scrape, scrape. The default sound of an old Airfix kit at the bench. :D

I'll join along as I'm on dog duty again. No plastic for me this morning.:huh:

Thanks for keeping the plastic alive! 

Johnny Hound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh the memories......corrugations and all! I still have the floats in a spares box from the kits that I built in the mid-1960's and I remember painting over one of the Swiiss cross sets of transfers to make one of my models into an ambulance aircraft as I so wanted to build conversions at the time but lacked the nerves and skill to do so.

Will be following with interest.

P

• Thanks 1

Crikey, 19 posts to reply to after my last post 17 hours ago! Thanks for the interest chaps :)

Welcome Trevor :) Your first kit? Nice. Of course you can have floats... no rivet counters when you're five! Thanks for the tip on using the cover; it is indeed in the box and I'll check its use as a tool later.

Welcome Simon - floats on Swiss aircraft? Useful for... um, lakes. :)

Now you see once again I've increased my knowledge posting on this forum. I knew Switzerland had lake Geneva 'cos it's on the opening credits for 'The Champions':

(Oooh, Alexandra Bastedo. Go on Alexandra, smile - you can do it! 1968-9 so I was a teenage boy.)

I hadn't realised it had LOTS of lakes, including 'Lake Zug'. 'Zugersee' sounds so much better.

Welcome Greg, I hope this build doesn't put you off yours! :)

Welcome Nigel :) I wasn't aware either that Airfix were sticking old kits in new boxes. I have this one AND the Gosling (1959 mold, 2010 box) to build. Can't wait (ahem).

Welcome Benedikt and thanks for the video links :) I'll peruse them later and hopefully build some love for the aircraft. I might even gain enough to do something about the horrid kit!

Thanks Tony - ribbed indeed, tisk :wicked:

Thanks Rob, saves me fnarr'ing! :D

Welcome Ian - yours was binned years ago? Parents eh? :D

Welcome Pat - corrugations verses decals? Arrrrgggghhhh! Also, don't forget the painted tail band. Fun. Aha. :)

Thanks greggles - bit of sad boxart (for the Tante) but I guess these things transported senior staff :)

Thanks Jaime - go for the Italeri if you build one, this kit looks like a dog :)

Welcome Kevin - nice to hear you still have your 1960s build / conversion :)

Welcome TT - I'm having a similar session de-flashing (see below). Thanks for the shots of the gaps - I shall of course use that excuse at every opportunity! :)

Welcome Johnny - say woof to Zero for me :)

Welcome pheonix - those floats might come in handy for this GB! :)

This reply is a nice break from the messy bench:

37112668651_069e885292_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Most of my flash removal tools are out and being used! Some for removal on long edges:

37083654382_426dd78b6a_z.jpg

Some things are beyond recovery. The engine part on the left had fallen off, presumably out of embarrassment:

36858825050_bf13fdcce1_z.jpg

It's been cleaned up, believe it or not... there was a ring of flash around three cylinders. Here's the part at the moment (I hope you're not eating):

37114198281_7139fef799_z.jpg

Horrid. We'll see how much mojo / kit love I have to sort those later.

Of course the crew have to be included! Let's see what's provided... um, where are they? Ah, wait, I rescued the crew back in February when looking for crew for the Avia. They were early and, unusually, well moulded versions of the Chubbies so they were used for mould masters. They're not Luftwaffe anyway, are they. Are they? I've grabbed a pilot from the stash and a chubbie from the moulding to go with the acceptable gunner:

37085096882_8b8747d48b_z.jpg

They'll get painted soon.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1