Blue Leader - Fine molds 1/48 X-Wing

I will be turning this.........

ff47ca97-c452-4628-9eaf-265d78494d6f.JPG

Into this..........

566bbcae-dcb1-4ad3-9fb3-6b4c8c4ce4f2.jpg

The build begins. I am sure some of you will be aware of this kit, but I will share the things I discover as I go along in case it may be helpful to others. 

The cockpit together.....which now needs some paint and decals. The pilot will be painted up as Blue Leader in blue and cream instead of the usual orange and white. 

e9b2db19-5181-4710-b0f6-d8174b2f1a8b.JPG

I didn't realise that this was a push fit kit. It is not as refined as the Bandai offerings, so I have added glue for a more solid construction. 

f2db31ae-08e5-46c1-9c1e-5e9a16aa6270.JPG

However...the detail is very nice.

e643a52a-25c3-40b9-a274-45f2b63548db.JPG

Albeit with some minor gaps that will be filled with Perfect Plastic Putty and wiped clean with a wet cotton bud. 

497ee4ab-303f-407e-b0d6-c85e8d194083.JPG

• Like 7

If you can't decide whether you want to display it in-flight or on its gear, you can have it both ways and its easily done. Just sand the pins of the various landing gear parts that go into the press-fit polycaps to a smaller diameter. I sanded the pins of the closed gear doors such that I can pop them off easily with a piece of tape yet they won't fall off the model while on the in-flight display stand. Same with the gear down parts. Sand their mounting pins to a smaller diameter so that you can easily pull them off. Just thought I'd mention this is case you wanted it both ways.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, StevenBills said:

That color of blue looks great. Is that straight from the bottle or a custom mix?

SB

Hi Steven. I did a custom mix. It started as Tamiya's Sea Blue with some white and another purple blue I had in the stash. I am happy with it, as the blue in the reference shots never seemed overly bright. 

Cheers.