interwar kits

malfisher

They are certainly few and far between, Malc. And, as that was your very first posting, welcome to Britmodeller! :welcome:

If we have to be strict about the pre-1939 bit and the tank bit, I'm struggling.

Assuming a preference for injection moulding and 1/35th, I can think of only one: the Vulcan Vickers Light Tank Mk.VI (in three versions, though I'm not sure whether all are still available). Bronco and Gecko are shortly to be making the A10 cruiser Mk.II; which was in service from 1940, but hey, that makes it a '30s design. Gecko also has the A9 on the way. But for earlier designs than these, I think that your wishes may be embarassingly under-served. Rather like the British Army was at the time... ;)

9 hours ago, Ade H said:

They are certainly few and far between, Malc. And, as that was your very first posting, welcome to Britmodeller! :welcome:

If we have to be strict about the pre-1939 bit and the tank bit, I'm struggling.

Assuming a preference for injection moulding and 1/35th, I can think of only one: the Vulcan Vickers Light Tank Mk.VI (in three versions, though I'm not sure whether all are still available). Bronco and Gecko are shortly to be making the A10 cruiser Mk.II; which was in service from 1940, but hey, that makes it a '30s design. Gecko also has the A9 on the way. But for earlier designs than these, I think that your wishes may be embarassingly under-served. Rather like the British Army was at the time... ;)

thanks for the welcome and information ade! 

yes, i like plastic and 1/35th. i have only built 2 tanks so far,

ive just started the hobby again about 45 years after making my last one as a youngster.

what im wanting to do is a shelf of british tanks with examples from ww1 to present day.

both the vickers and the cruiser would be ideal.

thanks

malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

There's also the Matilda 1, but that would have to be a resin kit. Plus if you wanted to include armoured cars, there's Roden's RR A/C.

John.

thanks john, a matilda 1 i would be interested in.

malc

My pleasure, Malc. Definitely get one of the Vulcan kits if you can (they can be had for sensible money if you keep an eye on eBay) but don't build it next if you've only done a couple. It's a nice kit all round but the suspension is fiddly and not very well engineered.

2 hours ago, Kuro Nezumi said:

Hobby Boss do the Vickers Medium tanks, Bronco do several A10 and A13 cruiser tanks, and Accurate Armour do a very expensive A1E1 heavy tank and the Matilda I that Bullbasket mentioned.

Hope this helps.

thanks kuro, i see the a1e1 is v expensive!

malc

5 minutes ago, Ade H said:

My pleasure, Malc. Definitely get one of the Vulcan kits if you can (they can be had for sensible money if you keep an eye on eBay) but don't build it next if you've only done a couple. It's a nice kit all round but the suspension is fiddly and not very well engineered.

thanks ade, i am on the cromwell now, but next i think i will be working newest to oldest

i saw a review that said the mark 4 was also fiddley!

malc

What, the WWI Mk.IV? I could understand the Meng Mk.IV Male being possibly a bit fiddly given that it has an interior, but the others aren't. I have the Takom Tadpole and it's fairly simple. Meng and Takom do the best of these types and they're worth choosing if you can find one at a sensible price.

Edited by Ade H

I think that you would get on OK with either that or one of the Mengs without the interior. The only caveat that I can suggest, other than the cost if you can't find a deal, is that Takom would have you building the hull separately from the track sponsons and that needs careful alignment. I built it on one sponson as a jig. There are lots of wheels, of course, but that's just basic repetitive modelling. The tracks from both makers are superb (and probably where a lot of the money goes). Other options include the ancient Tamiya, which is not in the same class.

6 hours ago, Ade H said:

As I said above, it may not strictly fit @malfisher's criteria anyway. The A13 certainly doesn't.

Well, according to what I've read, the A13 Mk.1 entered service in 1938 and the Mk.11, mid 1939, so as far as I can see, they would both qualify.

John.

Not according to my books, John. Are you sure that you're not mixing your mark numbers? I referred to the Cruiser Mk.II A10 Mk.Ia. These were used from 1940. Bear in mind that each A-number was a cruiser Mk.x and each of those had a sub-mark. And there's no kit of the first A13 yet as far as I know; just the sub-mark 1a and CS.

Edited by Ade H

Okay, so I went and checked my references again, and just to be clear, no, I'm no mixing up my mark numbers and I'm not talking about A10's. I'm talking about A13's. The reference that I checked is the ten part article by the well known military historian Peter Brown in Military Modelling around 2010. This is where he states that the A13 Mk1 entered service either late 1938 or early 1939. I believe that the A13 Mk.11 entered service later in 1939 and that the Mk11a (fitted with a BESA) entered service after the outbreak of WW2. Also from around the time of this series of articles, Steve Zaloga, military historian and modeller, did an article in MM on building Broncos A13 Mk.1. The number of this kit is 35025. I know because I have it upstairs in the stash. Now, unless we're talking at cross purposes here, I stand by what I said and that is that Bronco's A13. Mk.1 could be included. 

John.

God, you're like a dog with a bone today, John. Maybe we are at cross purposes somewhere, but to be honest, I've other things on my mind (to put it mildly) and so I don't much care about which tank turned up when. Let's just put this one to bed and not fall out about it.

Edited by Ade H

No, not a dog with a bone. It's called discussion. Just trying to help a modeller with a question, and trying to make sure that the info that he receives is correct. Now if that's a dog with a bone, so be it.

• Like 2

thanks for the thought john, i think i'tll be beyond me, it took me 3 weeks to finish the chieftain tank. but ive downloaded it and i'll try it!

i have managed to get the vulcam models vickers mkv1 off ebay, and the armoured car is very interesting.

malc

2 minutes ago, malfisher said:

thanks kuro, what is the difference between the resin and plastic kits?

malc

Plastic kits are formed by injecting molten plastic into moulds and can be glued with regular model glue, whereas resin kits tend to be much more expensive, probably because of their production method: having polyurethane resin being poured into moulds. They also need to glue resin parts together with either super glue or two-part epoxy. Cleaning the parts with soapy water is also very important to remove any releasing agent. Resin model kits tend to be more detailed than plastic kits. Hope this helps.