Revell 1/72 Sopwith Triplane

Here is my interpretation of the Sopwith Triplane, my first in this scale. I doff my hat to Ian, aka @limeypilot who's own WIP gave me a lot of pointers and inspiration so that I can complete this bird. The cockpit was all but scratch-built, kit MG replaced with a Miniworld Vickers MG...very nice. Fuselage tail lengthened, kit axle replaced with a scratch-built variant. Underside painted with Humbrol Linen enamel, I thought was too yellow, so I'll change that for the future. Topside was painted using Tamiya Khaki Drab, a good colour I think for a PC10 finish. Kit decals. The tiniest of PE control horns were fitted and rigged with mono filament fishing line. Overall, I'm pleased with the result and have learnt a lot and hopefully a later version of the Triplane will be done in the future.

IMG_7690_2.jpg 

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Stuart

• Like 37

Very nicely done, she looks great!

Far from an easy kit to get to look right, especially if you don't normally work in this scale. 

Big thumbs up from me!

Ian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Very nicely done, she looks great!

Far from an easy kit to get to look right, especially if you don't normally work in this scale. 

Big thumbs up from me!

Ian

Thanks Ian for your thumbs up.The most difficult part for me was the lining up of the wings with that 'sweet spot' where the twin lines come down through the leading edge of the mid-wing. This is now my scale, I was surprised about how small these things were.  Thanks for your help.

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking little Tripehound, really nicely built & finished - very neat work!

Keith

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice Sopwith you've built :pilot:  

8 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Very impressive work on what is quite a small model in 1/72nd.

Thanks guys. It was a challenge but I enjoyed it most of the way, the lining up of the wings took some time but the outcome couldn't be better for me.

Stuart

• Like 1

Cheers for the comments guy, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, pheonix said:

Totally agree with the comments already made. That is a really good build of a very old kit and your improvements have made a significant difference. Well done.

P

Thanks P. Their is a lot of satisfaction of getting something for your efforts from old or limited run kits, we are meant to be modelers after all.;)

• Like 1

I tried this kit.

It was one of the very few kits that reduced me to sheer rage and frustration just trying to get it all aligned correctly. Eventually I just couldn't be @rsed bothering to rig it which was annoying as I'd managed to rig other 1/72 biplanes and even a 1/144 DH2 but I just gave up with this one.

Well done mate!

• Like 1

Another super build of this old and rather awkward kit. Beaut' job, Stuart! :yes:

I've been doing a bit of digging online, trying to work up the courage to tackle the example of this kit in my stash, and found something a little unusual about Little's N5493.

According to Wingnut Wings, this aircraft was one of the rare Tripehounds fitted with the twin Vickers installation. Which is something I'm assuming Revell missed. (Assuming WnW is correct, which I don't really doubt.)

Given the rather difficult nature of the kit (for ham-fisted old farts like me) I'm a bit reticent to start investing in other bits (like a pair of after-market Vickers guns) as that is a slippery slope that may just wind up giving me an expensive disaster as opposed to a cheap one!

Damn, I wish I had half the talent of modellers like Limeypilot and yourself! :speechless:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murdo said:

I tried this kit.

It was one of the very few kits that reduced me to sheer rage and frustration just trying to get it all aligned correctly. Eventually I just couldn't be @rsed bothering to rig it which was annoying as I'd managed to rig other 1/72 biplanes and even a 1/144 DH2 but I just gave up with this one.

Well done mate!

I understand the frustration you had with the wing alignment which wasn't to bad if you weren't rigging it. Introduce the rigging element and it was a different ball game, the most important lines being the twin that run from the top, down to fuselage, and passing through the leading edge of the mid wing! I gritted my teeth and with much swearing...job done.

@Gazontipede, you may be right about the twin vickers:shrug: IIRC, the early 'Tripes' were fitted with single vickers, later some were fitted with twins and at some stage the horizontal stabiliser/ elevators were modified. I will be doing one of these later 'Tripes' a bit further into my stash:mental:

Stuart