What's red and wails?

This is my latest completed model: No.3 for 2017 which is more than the total I’ve completed in the last 11 years (I’m not kidding!).

It’s BBR’s 1/43 resin kit of the #36 Doran Enterprises Ferrari 333SP (Chassis 026 of 40 made) which competed in the 1999 Sebring 12 hours but failed to finish. It was driven by Tommy Kendall, Jim Matthews and Mark Dismore; Stefan Johansson was listed to drive the car but didn’t put in any laps.

It’s built OOB apart from a few tweaks to rectify minor inaccuracies (mirrors were moved to the roll hoop struts rather than being placed on the bodywork as directed in the instructions & minor decal placement changes were made to reflect the actual car). Strangely BBR also make a white metal kit of the 333SP (rather than resin), also in 1/43 but of a later version.

I did consider keeping it in plain livery (top pic) because it’s just such a damn pretty car. In fact many 333SP’s wear plain red livery and never got to race because they were bought by collectors. I recall that Ferrari had to build a bunch more so that the race teams could actually get cars on track.

Hope this keeps the sportscar fans happy while we’re waiting for Pascal’s 1/18 masterpiece!

a1

a2

b1

c1

d1

h1

I have a few other BBR kits to do (Audi R8C next up), but hopefully it won't take another 11 years to finish that... :D

• Like 10

Ade: I'm not sure I'm either. I don't like having more than two kits on the go at a time and like to finish what I'm doing before even looking at the next one (beyond gathering info). Prior to taking my sabbatical circa 2006 I greatly enjoyed 1/43 resin and white metal car modelling (Provence Moulage, Starter, FDS, Meri, Tameo etc) as well as resin aircraft (Planet Models), vacform aircraft (Eagles Talon, Contrail, Rareplanes) and 1/35 resin tanks (Verlinden, Accurate Armour etc) and scratchbulds. I'm not a great fan of injection-moulded kits, but if the subject is esoteric i'll try most things.

But you're right that I haven't really started many in that time. Before we moved house 11 years ago I was a really prolific modeller, making maybe six or eight per year, depending on scale etc. But I think I'm right in saying that the only kit I've built (finished that is) between 2006 and 2016 was a 1/24 Studio 27 Mazda 757 (lovely kit). I don't subscribe to the 'more is better' school but instead like to savour a good kit and enjoy the experience. So each one takes as long as it takes, and I do enjoy making changes or doing different colour schemes of many that I do.

I have had a few false starts in the last 11 years though, including a 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito which I was given. Now I love the Wooden Wonder but that kit left me cold: it lacked any real challenge and was just a soulless box of plastic. It soon went in the bin. Then while on holiday I bought a modelling magazine which reviewed the Tamiya FXX-K (another car I really like the look and sound of) and thought I'd give it a go again. But yet again I found it all a bit bland and not enjoyable. That also went in the bin. Lesson for me is that I'm sure Tamiya kits are OK as entry-level or for those who like quick 'shake and bake' end results, but not my cup of tea. 

What started it off again was my eldest son giving me a 1/144 Czech Master Resin Martin Mars last Christmas. It's a real quality kit and I'd recommend it to anyone - and I finished it too!

I had also been given a 1/32 Wingnut Wings Bristol Fighter a few years ago by my wife, and wisely put it to one side: I did look in the box and realised that this was really something special and wanted to be in the mood to enjoy it. That time came as soon as I finished the CMR Mars and the Bristol is nearly finished too. And yes it's plastic, but in sharp contrast to Tamiya's offerings (and in fairness a good few other mainstream plastic kit manufacturers), the WNW kits are real works of art and beautifully done and can be made into lovely replicas OOB but also offer the opportunity to go to town with plenty of personalization.

So in answer to your question - yes I do go on a bit! :sleepy:

• Like 2

I know what you mean there. I have to like a kit to really invest in it and for whatever reason, it's not always possible to fall in love with a project. Sometimes, they can feel like nothing but a difficult chore and that can risk knocking the enthusiasm altogether. That's one reason why I value variety a lot: cars/bikes, armour and softskins, aircraft...

I have a lot of kits on the go (partly because I was starting builds before owning an airbrush and deliberately pausing when an airbrush would be necessary) and I flit between them. Probably too much, but it helps with my interest and with usage of time because when something needs to cure or a problems seems insurmountable, I get on a little further with another build.

Some kits, like the one in my avatar pic, I just totally fall for from beginning to end and invest a crazy amount of hours in. They make it all worthwhile.

Hello Sabre,

Really nice, well done Sir !

I must restart my cars projects.

Serial starter is a good definition of the way I'm modelling :guitar:

Let's say a good 40 on the go :P

So I understand what you mean !

Congratulations !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp