Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin - Tamiya 1/6

Hi chaps,

I started this at the beginning of the Summer holidays, but with the kids being at home there has been a bit of a slow start. Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pictures of progress so far. This is my first big scale bike, although I do have some others in the stash.

Mostly just frame and engine to start with:

37224586565_ef3df67b81_b.jpg1/6 Tamiya Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Frame finished in metallic black with a flat coat over the top.

37224586415_56f90bfc21_b.jpg1/6 Tamiya Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37224586405_8089850b8f_b.jpg1/6 Tamiya Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37033859296_6feaf7fd50_b.jpg1/6 Tamiya Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Engine finished in a mixture of Tamiya and Alclad. I've just been priming a bunch of smaller parts, so hopefully some more progress soon.

All the best,

Andrew

• Like 2

Just a small update this morning. A bit of detailing to the engine. I've been trying out a liquid chrome marker pen on the bolts. Possibly a little on the shiny side for this application, but I like the effect, and it provides a decent contrast with the aluminium of the engine case.

36404257244_8b582d2f49_b.jpg

Engine Underside by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like 4

Managed to get the engine installed, together with the throttle and fuel injection assemblies. So far everything has gone together without issue.

Throttle assembly:

36864286920_0a7da78195_b.jpgEngine Installation by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Oil Filter:

37262527985_6f10833846_b.jpg

Engine Installation by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

In the frame:

36424511354_094f7a9a4b_b.jpgEngine Installation by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37090130562_8a019f5402_b.jpgEngine Installation by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37090130932_6e108078b0_b.jpgEngine Installation by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37119814941_e914f7b387_b.jpgEngine Installation by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Since these photos were taken I have added the battery box and coolant reservoir.

Next on to the rear damper.

I have the chain set too, which looks like fun.... bit disappointed it's mostly plastic, but only a little.

Thanks for looking.

Andrew

• Like 1

An update on progress. I finished off painting and assembling the rear damper assembly and centre stand. Also added is the rear fender and associated plumbing.

Next up, the wheels.

36531372073_7d9506180c_b.jpg

Rear Damper and Centre Stand by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37171006432_e161ea5f09_b.jpg

37200676541_63a7050332_b.jpg

37153177326_daabeda9d2_b.jpg

Rear Fender by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37200847731_7fc93f7722_b.jpg

Rear Fender by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Still thinking about colour schemes, but probably won't do one of the box schemes...

All the best,

Andrew

• Like 2

That's looking great, the chromed bolts are terrific and look much better than the Mithril Silver I've used in the past. Really hoping the art shop manage to restock the Molotov pens before long.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been slowly plugging away at this one. Struggling with life at the moment - depression's a bummer!! Will try and post something a bit more coherent soon.

All the best,

Andrew

ps. there are a few more photos on my photostream - see link below.

12 hours ago, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been slowly plugging away at this one. Struggling with life at the moment - depression's a bummer!! Will try and post something a bit more coherent soon.

All the best,

Andrew

ps. there are a few more photos on my photostream - see link below.

Don't worry about us, we aren't going away. You take care of yourself. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I realise that I've been a bit rubbish in providing updates, but by way of apology here's a small teaser:

37460417380_d2003ba6de_b.jpgUntitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Still working on the finishing touches, but on the home straight. I will try and add some intermediate progress soon.

All the best,

Andrew

• Like 3

Wheels:

The kit comes with a handy assembly jig for the wheels. Each wheel is made up of separate rim and hub/spoke parts. Each rim is made up of two halves, meaning there's a seam to clean up all the way around the circumference, a bit fiddly but not too bad.

36669020924_3d713b2f72_b.jpgFront Wheel by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Each hub and spoke assembly is made up of four parts - an inner and out part for each side of the hub, each with corresponding spokes molded in place. The spokes are very flimsy, so a lot of care is needed when cleaning up these parts. I managed to bend few of them, but fortunately none of them broke. The jig has alignment marks, as do the rim halves, and there is one spoke with a short end to aid correct orientation. Usefully, the hub parts have their part numbers molded on the inside, so assembly should be reasonably idiot-proof. Once all the parts are painted they can be aligned in the jig and the spoken fitted into their corresponding holes in the rim. The instructions recommend fitting some of the supplied vinyl tubing (of which there is plenty) over some tweezers to avoid damaging the paintwork. The spokes are more than flexible enough to be manipulated in this way. I used CA glue to glue the spokes in place. Tamiya suggest Extra Thin, but then you obviously need to keep all the contact areas paint-free...

37121319470_630e9563e6_b.jpg

Front Wheel by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

I painted my rims in TS-42 Light Gun Metal and hub/spoke assemblies in Alclad Chrome over semi-gloss black. Strictly, the hubs should be black, but I was being a bit lazy and didn't bother with all the masking. Once complete the wheels are remarkable rigid, given the flimsiness of the individual spokes.

36687010804_fcf0a7ce47_b.jpgFront Wheel by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

In fitting the tyres, I came across the only real issue I had with the kit (at least the only one that wasn't self-inflicted). I found that the tyres wouldn't sit very snugly on the rims, tending to rest slightly inside the rim. On the front wheel, I overcame this by packing the tyre with some oversize elastic bands I had lying around (with a 5 x 5mm square cross-section). These were the perfect size to spread the beads of the tyre to the correct width giving a nicely snug fit with the rim. On the back wheel, because there's so much more space in the back tyre I found this approach to be a bit to fiddly, so instead I wrapped a band of self-adhesive neoprene sheet around the rim, leaving just enough space for the bead to slot in either side. Two different ways of solving the same (admittedly fairly small) problem.

36703776734_9ea6696a40_b.jpgRear Wheel Spokes by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

The chain:

The kit chain comes in two halves and as such is a fixed shape. There is however a small pin on the rear sprocket assembly that slots in the hub. This can be removed if using the kit chain, allowing the wheel to turn while the chain and sprocket are fixed. I used the separate chain set which, although released at the same time as this kit, is a generic 1/6th chain set and would presumably fit other (Tamiya?) 1/6th bikes. The instructions recommend 120 links for the Africa Twin. The chain set comes with 4 identical sprues in silver grey plastic and a small bag with the metal rollers. On each sprue there are chain parts as well as an assembly jig and a small assembly tool.

37203459180_c135848119_b.jpg

Chain by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Thankfully, all the chain parts can be painted on the sprue as any attachment point are not visible on the completed chain. Assembly is a little tedious, but not overly taxing.

37404287206_d2f6f607a3_b.jpg

Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Each section of the chain (20 links) is assembled in the jig.

37194339980_915b597476_b.jpg

The outer links just clip on over the pins with the help of the little tool supplied - no glue involved.

23609320818_8bb52693ce_b.jpg

Chain by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

37404287276_1929926ab4_b.jpg

36764243084_df1410b16f_b.jpg

I used a little bit of graphite powder the help lubricate things a bit, some dark dirt wash and a bit of Tamiya weathering powder.

The chain installed (still a bit loose - the tension is adjustable):

36803954153_9e1127d6e0_b.jpgUntitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

• Like 2