Airfix Phantom II (the old one!) - done - my 24 hours turned into around 50!

AdrianMF

Hello All,

I recently tried and failed to build the old Airfix Phantom in 24 elapsed hours here in the Blitzbuild 2017 GB. I've only just managed to get back to the modelling bench for the first time since then (in the UK for a whole day, before travelling out tomorrow), and so obviously the first thing that needs doing is to undo some of my previous work!

IMG_6474.jpg

The intakes and the fuselage had a gentle curve down to the join, so I've sanded the whole area flatter to make the join less conspicuous. It's progress, right??

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as Marvin the Paranoid Android once said "why stop now just when I'm hating it?". I happened to notice something was Not Quite Right around the nose area:

37286962136_d7438d350e_c.jpg

A distinct list to Starboard! So out with my razor saw (not in the same league as Dexter so no pictures...) and I cut most of the way through. This was enough to insert a wedge to straighten it up:

37286963046_cc0f3bd6f3_c.jpg

Leave that to dry, a bit of sanding and touch up the paint. Now, about those undercarriage doors and ejector pin marks...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this oldie.  It would probably look terribly crude to me now given that I've been spoiled by more recent Fujimi and Hasegawa releases, but  I remember thinking that it was absolutely the business back in the 1970s.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have been pottering on with this one, and I am pleased to report that ten minutes ago there was a relaxed exhalation as we got past a big milestone:

IMG_6556.jpg

The decals are actually very nice, but this one was a whopper!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

I've got nothing to do whilst holding it upside-down so the Glue'n'Glaze doesn't run out of the side windows, so I thought I'd take a snap of the underside. I was happy enough to get the underside smooth and painted, so I restricted myself to just re-scribing the air brakes and auxiliary air intakes:

IMG_6559.jpg

I've given it and the missiles a light dirty wash and we are nearly done!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

Looking good Adrian.

24 elapsed hours is about how long it takes me to get the stuff out of the box and look at the instructions! :blink:

Good luck with the rest of the build

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2

...and done!

IMG_6560.jpg

I wanted to scratch some detail in the cockpit, which contributed to my failure to finish in the 24hour GB, and having cockpit canopies open provides a neat way of avoiding dodgy shape, transparency and fit issues!
IMG_6561.jpg
IMG_6562.jpg

On my F-111 build I was very taken with the idea of the dummy engine fronts in the intakes, even though they are nowhere like long enough. It looks much better than a blank wall. I wish I'd done it earlier in the build though!
IMG_6564.jpg

It's past 1am and I have a taxi to the airport at 0630 so I'd better go pack. I will get some RFI pictures when I get back from work in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 13

On 17/10/2017 at 01:06, Winenut said:

24 elapsed hours is about how long it takes me to get the stuff out of the box

I know what you mean Bruce - I've been looking at this kit on and off for a while wondering how it would build up.

Thanks @stevehnz and phanks to Paul @mcdonnell

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't like Phantoms

Neither am I a huge fan, but this year I've built an F-111 and a Phantom.  I feel like modern jets demand more precision and a nicer finish than I'm capable of providing, but it's been fun trying!

And thanks @billn53 - I'm glad I got the old one out of the way before the new one arrives!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Very well done, I like these old kits very much, and the Phantom is a favourite. Among (several) other cool things, nice mirrors in the canopies and wheel wells detail. I don't know if it is an "effect" of the photo, but I guess the metallic color on the tail is a bit dark. Anyway, it's great!

Edited by Convair
  • Like 1