This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
FinnAndersen

Brengun 1/72 A36 Apache USAF (Brengun Model Accessories BRP72025)

Procopius    16,850

New kit; I've heard it shares some design similarity to the KP Mustang highbacks, so there may have been some shared design work.

Chuck1945    97

There were some pictures posted here (about halfway down the page) from Brengun's Nuremberg display including some sprues. The really obvious clanger is yet again the main gear bay is incorrectly done.

FinnAndersen    92

Thank you Procopius and Chuck1945. Seems a must-have. Not too worried about the main gear bay, if the rest looks like a A-36.

Graham Boak    2,408

Problem is that it doesn't look too much like an A-36.  It looks like a P-51B with an Allison engine.  This mistake has been made before - the Merlin Mustangs were deeper in the fuselage, with more distance between the top of the wing and the canopy.

To be fair, I haven't seen the actual kit.  However this is obvious from the photos of the runners, and I'm not the only one to comment on it.  Presumably you could still add the A-36 wing to another kit's fuselage, presumably the Academy, but you will have to be careful about other details such as the radiator - the Allison Mustangs did vary rather a lot in such details.

Jure Miljevic    303

Canopy cutout in the fuselage looks very similar to the one on Italeri Allison Mustang kit, which has one piece cockpit transparency. Is it the same with the Brengun kit? Cheers

Jure

FinnAndersen    92
1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Problem is that it doesn't look too much like an A-36.  It looks like a P-51B with an Allison engine.  This mistake has been made before - the Merlin Mustangs were deeper in the fuselage, with more distance between the top of the wing and the canopy.

To be fair, I haven't seen the actual kit.  However this is obvious from the photos of the runners, and I'm not the only one to comment on it.  Presumably you could still add the A-36 wing to another kit's fuselage, presumably the Academy, but you will have to be careful about other details such as the radiator - the Allison Mustangs did vary rather a lot in such details.

Interesting. Looking more closely at the runner pictures, I could see your concern. I rather hope that someone who buys the kit will tell us if the kit has this fault or not.

Adam Maas    78

Sounds like the answer for an A-36 remains finding the MPM kit. Note there's most of an A-36 in the Mk1 kit as well (it cross-kits the Mk1A and A-36 kits to make a Mk1)

Beard    5,863
On 15 September 2017 at 1:16 AM, Adam Maas said:

Sounds like the answer for an A-36 remains finding the MPM kit. Note there's most of an A-36 in the Mk1 kit as well (it cross-kits the Mk1A and A-36 kits to make a Mk1)

The Special Hobby 'Red Stars' boxing of the MPM kit is available, although appropriate decals will need to be sourced.

Adam Maas    78
17 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Does the MPM kit have a better fuselage?

The MPM, like the academy, is a proper Allison fuselage, not a Merlin fuselage with an Allison nose

its faults are primarily the wheel wells and short-run construction 

Edited by Adam Maas

Graham Boak    2,408

Enough not to need another bad one.  Which would be true even if the answer was nil.

Edited by Graham Boak