Broplan vacu duo: Ripon and MF 11 plus Douglas DT 2 sctrach conversion

JWM

Cool subjects. I like Broplan kits- they fit well, the plastic is suitably sturdy and the injection moulded struts, whilst a bit crude, are usually the right length! More sophisticated than they look!

Will these pictures of the surviving Finnish Ripon II help?

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/photoreports/ripon/

Good luck!

• Like 2

I have just finished Potez 29. Tomorrow I hope topost it on RFI (I am waiting for daylight). It means that I can focus on those two :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hi,

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good to know! Please also provide us with a link to the Potez RFI!

The Potez 29 RFI is here:

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I found in Net photo of Hoever with painting scheme I want to do (behind He 115 N - F.52 which I dis this yaer also):

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania hover mf 11

Here the quality is poor but I have the same photo (and another one close-up) of this "8" (what actually is "F.408") in the book I bought in Oslo recently. Below is a photo of "346" taken 20 km apart of near Aberdeen - also in a similar (but different) hastitly done in field camo.

Such improvised schemes were introduced after 10th April 1940 disaster, when many machines were destroyed in German attack.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania hover mf 11

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Last weekend was unfortunately mostly devoted to gardening - the winter is coming and some help to Mrs JWM was expected... Therefore small progress. Anyway - the current state of Ripon is following: 

RIP DSC06953

I started to work on floats. I have to scale drawings to 1/72. It is neccesary to have right proporions and positions.

With Hoover I closed fuselage

hov DSC06955

The control pannel I made from some instrument pannel decal - it is composed of 5 parts

hov DSC06956

The AS Pather engine has a characteristic system of camshaft rods. It is 2x14=28 pieces. I added them:

HOV DSC06954

To be cont

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 6

Hi,

Today I ws working on Ripon, mostly on floats and also on some details in nose section. On the contrary to AS Panther engine the Bristol driven one has small air intake below engine and then something like fairing for tubes which goes to oild radiator. I noticed it on one photo in book. Here is inlet and begining of work on those fairings:

rip DSC06966

Main struts between floats and wing are visible above. More details below:

rip DSC06969

The top of floats has some square strutures like inspection doors perhaps. To do this I masked surround of those plases with Tamiya tape and put some putty there. Later I sand it (sorry for not shar take):

rip DSC06964

After removing of tape the structures appeared:

rip DSC06965

Between them some kind of deck for walking should be reconstructed. I made it from alu foil correguted using finger press strip of foil on resin copy of Jungers (G-24) surface:

rip DSC06968

Then I glued foild on floats using Clearfix.

rip DSC06967

All those works were done under careful supervison of my cat Gutek!

gutek DSC06963

:)

To be cont.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek 

Edited by JWM
  • Like 4

Hi,

Today I had day off - raining a bit so some time good for modelling. 

I glued bottom wing and tail to Hoever (it is rather Hoever than as I was writing so far - Hoover)

hov DSC06970

Tail is a bit tricky - fin has to have gaps from top and bottom of  horizontal tail which is supported by rods:

hov DSC06971

I did also some further detailing of engine of Ripon. On photos you may see small tube or rod which keep exhaust pipes from top on both sides. 

rip DSC06972rip DSC06974

Please note also small tubes looking down behind main exhaust pipes. This suggest me, that all tubing is a kind of by-pass to some use. I am sorry to say - I do not know the purpose. Maybe someone knows. It is rather heating system than turbo charger - but I do not know...

I put on oil cooler and go to set up floats.

rip DSC06973

However at first dry set it came out that the triangle structure is a bit too long (at least as result of me glueing it to main supports). Also it is a bit too wide. I have to cut out the front rode, shorter a bit the part of triangle and trim lenght of this bar.

Then I was able to glue togeter all support and floats:

rip DSC06976

rip DSC06977

rip DSC06978

I did also first control surfaces elements on tail. This is begining of preparation for riging...

That is likely all for today. I am going for a concert of Pat Metheny :) - which plays in quartet in Katowice - some 75 km apart from my house...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 7

Thiis one is really taking shape now. With those floats it is starting to look more like the machines in the photos.

I really like your methods for making the raised surfaces on the floats, including the ribbed detail. Excellent idea - very original!

P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pheonix said:

I really like your methods for making the raised surfaces on the floats, including the ribbed detail. Excellent idea - very original!

Thank you. This alu foil it is better to glue with CA (as I did in case of Potez 29 recently) then as I did here with clearfix. The clearfix get stiff to slowly and before it is done the surface can be affected easily. 

Cheers

J-W

Hi totally agree with phoenix:very original approach to creating the detail on the floats and the model is shaping up quite nicely. The float struts are also very carefully and precisely done,as well as the engine detail.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi,

Yesterday's concert of Pat Metheny was excellent - if you want ask me... :)

Today I painted all tops with diluted Humbrol 117 - just to see if there are any surface problems, mostly with this aluminium panels.

rip DSC06980

Before it I made some minor detailing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152188754@N05/37438796094/in/dateposted-public/

rip DSC06982

rip DSC06981

I am a bit confused today with triangle struts  between flaoats. It is clearly seen on pre war photos of Ripon but it is not seen on one or two wartime photos. I do not know - have they found it an "excess part"???

So I do not know - keep it or remove? Any Ripon expert knows this?

Cheers

J-W

P.S.

Here no triangle

Blackburn_Ripon_RI-137.jpg?1509748074939

Whereas on photo in my post #63 above triangle is clearly seen.

One more shot of details:

rip DSC06983

Edited by JWM
Added two more photos as P.S.
  • Like 6

Coming on nicely Jerzy!

The pipes from the exhaust are most likely to provide heated air for the carburetors, to help stop carb icing, which causes the engine to stop very quickly!

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks for comments, Gents :)

20 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

The pipes from the exhaust are most likely to provide heated air for the carburetors, to help stop carb icing, which causes the engine to stop very quickly!

Yes, could be. This is good explanation. Perhaps both: cockpit and carburators...

Cheers

J-W

Hi,

Some painting work was done recently

rip DSC07006rip DSC07007

The struts for upper wing are glued. Twomain  are scratch build since were lost (omitted).

I did no progress with Hoever MF 11 however meanwhile I started another Norwegian '40 hydropan:

dt2 DSC07008

Can you recognize what it is?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JWM said:

I did no progress with Hoever MF 11 however meanwhile I started another Norwegian '40 hydropan:

dt2 DSC07008

Can you recognize what it is?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek 

Hi Jerzy

I am so glad I'm not the only one who constantly fails to resist the temptation of starting another kit when, I know that I should be finishing the all too many I have started and failed to finish already ! 

Sorry you have stumped me with your new addition, but I'm sure someone reading this will know, so let's keep it a secret until someone guesses correctly 

cheers Pat

• Like 2