Broplan vacu duo: Ripon and MF 11 plus Douglas DT 2 sctrach conversion

JWM

This is a really good choice of kits J-W :thumbsup2: 

I’m very fond of Broplan kits, he chooses some very interesting subjects. 

I’ve been looking for the Broplan I.V.L. Hansa A22, but no luck so far :tumble:.

I hope that you had a nice time in Oslo? I used to visit fairly regularly with work; Think I may have been in the model shop you visited. Does it also have model trains?

You chose superb books :book:.

I’m looking forward to these builds.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi,

After cutting off all parts one  have to remove unwanted share which is a thickness of  plate. I use to do thi work in some steps:

1. Cut parts not perpendicular but at  some angle, it makes remains of plate smaller

2. At wings and tail (not always)  I am first use a sharp blade and scrap trailing edge perpendiculary.

3. Leading edge and tips I am sanding with sander

4. Final sanding on wet paper

I did some work on Ripon. I started wings. It is good to add some spar . Such reinforcement is needed to have stronger wings. I used here a tea-mixing tool seen on left:

rip DSC06859

I cut out the spoilers and glue rounded pieces of plastic rods.

Then I glued wings and tailplane

rip DSC06860

I start also work  on fuselage

rip DSC06862

I glued some reinforcements of fuselage halves future joint

rip DSC06861

The fin and especially rudder is really thinned:

rip DSC06863

To be cont.

Cheers

J-W

IMG_3944.jpg

Edited by JWM
added GB logo
  • Like 7

P.S. to above

(thanks Jaime! :) )

Some construction tubes should go inside. I do not have too much how exactly construction tubing was in case of Ripon (in case of Hover is only a bit better). If anybody can help - please do so.

I have found in net https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?136532-Blackburn-Baffin-And-Ripon-Parts-Etc-Required-For-Airworthy-Rebuild 

a photo which is likely the tubing of front of fuselage of Baffin, I think very similar must be to Ripon:

Blackburn%20Baffin%20NZ%2013%20October%202103%20Peter%20Arnold%20image%20393A2024_zpsvhzxlu7b.jpg

Podobny obraz

And finally that one (the same Baffin restored in New Zealand):

Baffin%20S1674%20amp%20NZ160%20Subritsky%20Fascility%20NZ%2010%20Sept%202016%20Peter%20Arnold%20%20393A3628_zpsyb6gsccx.jpg

(photo from web page https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?141349-Subritzky-family-Vickers-Vincent)

The link name suggests Vincent but this is Baffin. The Ripon has the same construction, since basicly Ripon and Baffin was the same a/c with inly different engines. Here the whole cockpit area was made of playwood, not with steel tubes. Those are only in front.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 4

On 8.10.2017 at 11:28 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I hope that you had a nice time in Oslo? I used to visit fairly regularly with work; Think I may have been in the model shop you visited. Does it also have model trains?

Tony, this was effective time with some meetings. The collegue from BM (LN-KEH) gave me addreses of two shops - in boths were airplanes and trains...

Cheers

J-W  

• Like 1

I started to worry about inside colours of Ripon. On photo above you may see black on steel tubing and green-grey (or rather remains of it) on other metal parts . But how were painted playwood parts? 

Linien was red as can be see on Ripon from Finish museum

spaceout.gifspaceout.gifhttp://www.flickriver.com/photos/saminkuvat/tags/lahden/

On the photo of link above the wood look to be left in natural colour. Any suggestion on this?

I will a question on WWII forum...

Regards

J-W 

Hi

It is midnight, time for pogress report or today.

I made some sanding work on wings, including filling of few sunked spots:

rip DSC06866

I have to do work on slots. The rest of wings  and tailplane  is ready for next steps.

I found inside provided by Broplan (dark green parts) very interesting:

rip DSC06865rip DSC06864

I made linien covers from inside in red. I think I will do the paywoods in natural wood colour.

I did some sanding on Hover MF 11 wings as well.

To be cont.

Cheers

J-W

y4momj58A7ap5eK8k8FwX4LZ4FdOgj1_AvgfzkaH

Edited by JWM
added GB logo
  • Like 5

Today I made basic set-up of Hover MF 11 wings:

hov DSC06869

I made it also with spars inside, the same way liek in case of Ripon.

I made some progress with Ripon:

1. Glued floats - I added some lead to nose of each for better sitting of model 

rip DSC06871

2. I will rather do Bristol engined machine.  I have Aeroclub Pegasus. I started to paint it:

rip DSC06870

3. And I did some more work on insides:

rip DSC06867rip DSC06868

To be cont.

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 6

Only just found these Jerzy - not keeping up very well. I am fascinated by those of you who make vacforms - I never took the plunge with these and probably will not do so now, but you really are turning some not very promising material into what are shaping up to be two very fine models. And biplanes too - good!! I am interested in the colour schemes for these machines as they will be from small countries airforces.

Will be following more closely in future.

P

• Like 1

Hi,

Next  evening (or rather midnight) report:

I put seatbelts, control panel and sterring wheel inside Ripon and glued fuselage

rip DSC06880rip DSC06879

rip DSC06881

2. Hover MF 11

I sanded floats and fuselage

hov DSC06883

The fin broak apart from fuselage, so I glued it to second half

And sanded wings

hov DSC06882

That is all for today

Regards

jwm

Edited by JWM
reformatting
  • Like 2

Hi,

The engine - Bristol Pegasus - the mail body is by Aeroclub but both collectors are by Azur, from extra parts of Spanish Vildebeest:

rip DSC06912rip DSC06911

I drilled it  throught to make propeller rotable.

I glued together lower wing, fuselage and tailplane

rip DSC06907

I also modified front - shorter a bit due to use of the replacement engine, not the simplified from kit and corrected shape of first panels:

rip DSC06908rip DSC06910

The tailplane I glued cuting out half chord from boths: fin (the front half) and tailplane (rear half) assembling it and use some putty

rip DSC06909

To be cont.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

Many thanks for kind comments :)

Today small progress:

I start to work on prop:

rip DSC06918

Sanded wing-fuselage connection and added struts

rip DSC06917

rip DSC06916

On above you may notice small doors (for camera?) on sides  - I work on this as well.

On top wings there re slots. I try to give them right shape

rip DSC06921

To be cont.

Regards

J-W

• Like 5

I glued engine in position (Ripon)

rip DSC06923

I moved on with Hoover. One of Norwegian colllegue PM me some photos and drawings for Hoover. It was already some time ago - but I am still very greatefull :)

So structure of fuselage looks like that:

hov DSC06926hov DSC06927

I started to do this 

hov DSC06924

To be cont.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Good progress. Have you chipped the propeller?

Thanks! reegarding prop - not yet. I have to look carefully how it used to be worn.

Work is slower than I would like to, since I share time with ending Potez 29 (WIP thread exists)

Cheers

J-W

Today I did some interior of Hoover (note side windows cut out as well)

hov DSC06931

I sanded too deep front, so some distance will be needed when glueing fusalage. I have to add some more details like instrument panel, belts and sterring rod and some minor things - and a big day of assembling fuselage will come :)

I was covering Potez 29 with matt varnish - so good opportunity to make matt parts of Ripon engine and prop

rip DSC06930

Not a big progress as for a Sunday, but Potez took majority of my time for modelling today.

To be continued

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3