Broplan vacu duo: Ripon and MF 11 plus Douglas DT 2 sctrach conversion

JWM

Hi Pat,

In this new books I ;ve bought in Norway there three nice photos of this machine with AS Panther engine and four (!) blades props (like Walrus has - double two blade wooden). Temptation is strong to do this conversion....Especilly, that somehow I have extra Panther engine by Broplan (was in MF 11 bag)...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Good progress on the Ripon.

I have no idea on which the new aircraft is. But I know all about starting new models without finishing those already started first...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Pat and Jaime - please,do not worry, sometimes it happend that I was doing seven models together. Sooner or faster I finished them all always. OK, sometime it is a bit long time. The last prolonging build was B-29 - I started in Christmas 2014 and finished her few weeks ago...

This "mysterious" machine is already present (in different variant) in our GB ;)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JWM said:

This "mysterious" machine is already present (in different variant) in our GB ;)

Cheers

J-W

OOOOOHHH YOU TEASE ! :hmmm: 

Come on everyone, what is it ?

De-Havilland Moth ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JWM said:

Pat and Jaime - please,do not worry, sometimes it happend that I was doing seven models together.

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I have 15 models in different build stages... I should finish something...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

Ripon: I drilled all openings for riging and glued upper wing on position

rip DSC07018

Tomorrow I hop eto be able to do riging

I have not made any progress today with Hoever MF 11

In my "mysteious" Norwegian I start to shape nose for Panther engine

dt2 DSC07020

To be continued

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

y4momj58A7ap5eK8k8FwX4LZ4FdOgj1_AvgfzkaH

Edited by JWM
  • Like 3

On 11/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, JWM said:

The top of floats has some square strutures like inspection doors perhaps. To do this I masked surround of those plases with Tamiya tape and put some putty there. Later I sand it (sorry for not shar take):

Hi Jerzy,

Very innovative approach to the floats. I'll have to (try to) remember some of these techniques.

The overall progress so far is fantastic, and are of subjects I was unaware of. Great work!

Regards,

David

• Like 1

The Ripon looks great with both wings in place!

You should really let us know which is your mystery aircraft, so that I can include it in the weekly statistics :whistle:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrlx said:

You should really let us know which is your mystery aircraft, so that I can include it in the weekly statistics

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

Hi Jerzy,

Very innovative approach to the floats. I'll have to (try to) remember some of these techniques.

The overall progress so far is fantastic, and are of subjects I was unaware of. Great work!

David and Jaime, thank you :) 

This "mysterious" machine is Douglas DT2 B, a development of DWC. This was a torpedo machine. Eight of them were sold to Norway in 1925 and some were still in use in April 1940 (https://alchetron.com/Norwegian-Campaign-order-of-battle) .

In end of thirties all 6 still existing there were converted from original Liberty engine to AS Panther. In some sources you can find that it was Wright engine but photos shows clearly 14-cylinders characteristic "short row" double star shiluette of AS Pather.

I am converting from Williams Bros DWC (BTW - from my measurements it turns out that Williams kit is in 1/75 rather than 1/72...)

Cheers

J-W

P.S.

I found a photo in net also (but she has covered engin - although four blade porop is seen)

http://www.pinsdaddy.com/sola-sj-amp-248_e4GMNvyxiDOmZcSOGvMJ|1utbMxD4VIbcAoKqcY6zTQ/gerhdi6twtCnxli|iMdBCy83Zeg4nO5gviABnyFRBmuMMhQRy6Q18bo*8FDHf5IcPR02WyZHGfDTqOTW0VS0JGMAZPhc3JUTFLv7aJVHyaAjCIUWEinCmVyV6YFcEr66/

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 2

Thanks for the very interesting historical overview of the Norwegian invasion and for identifying the aircraft. It'll be added to the statistics!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Another very interesting type which hitherto I had not known existed! It is remarkable how old some of the aircraft were that were being used in the first year of WW2. Generally it is the more modern machines which get the attention, but there were large numbers of antiquated machines pressed into service at this time even by the major powers.

P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pheonix said:

Another very interesting type which hitherto I had not known existed! It is remarkable how old some of the aircraft were that were being used in the first year of WW2. Generally it is the more modern machines which get the attention, but there were large numbers of antiquated machines pressed into service at this time even by the major powers.

I did not know it neither untils some two years ago when a collegue of my Brother Mike (KRK4m on this forum) had this William Bros Douglas DWC kit offered to sell and Mike told me "why don't you buy it? It could be converted to Norwegian DT 2 b, the WWII specie and you collect all WWII machines, dont you?". So I suddently felt, that all live I needed it but did not known about  this in some way :) And I bought it immediately.... 

I remeber that just in this time I did two Northrop Gammas (2d from Spanish Civil War and 2e from China-Japan Second War) and one Delta (US from Eritrea, WWII)  cloning in resin parts of Northrop Gamma 2a/b by Williams and doing rest as scratch conversions. Since a year before it I finished Boeing 247 and few more also  Curtiss Comando all our talk started from my reflection that I did all Williams Bross kits that are interesting to me. Because in fact I like very much models of this company... So now I am completing this set finally.

Regarding how old Douglas (or Ripon) were at outbreak of WWII - it was about 15 years only. What we are thinking now on airplanes from 2002? ;) Ok - perhaps better would be question: what we are thinking now on computers from 2002?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Without wishing to take this theme too far off topic, I think that what your models show is how quickly aircraft developed in the years 1936-1946 compared with development over the period 1919-1935. The former was a period of all-out industrial conflict, whereas the latter was one of relative peace. Another comparison might be the F15 which entered service in the late 1970's (if my memory serves me correctly)and is anticipated to be in service for about another 20 years. This must reflect the sheer cost of modern military aircraft - even rich countries cannot afford to replace them too often - and the ability to upgrade equipment. I suppose too that the smaller nations who were still using aircraft such as the Ripon and MF 11 in 1939 were less able to afford to buy the latest aircraft, and in addition they were often unable to do so because the producing nations would not sell them. Norway probably did not expect to become involved in a major European conflict and therefore did not consider re-armnament to be a priority. There was also the issue that in the 1930's most government budgets were severely constrained and there was still a strong pacifist movement as people remembered and recoiled from the horrors of WW1.

What also strikes me is that so many of these lesser known machines, (of which you have mentioned several), are now available in kit form: when I stopped modelling in the very early 1980's they were not very many available and if they were they were vacuforms. Today there are resin, limited run injection and vacuforms, and often in a variety of scales. It shows how our hobby has changed too.

P

• Like 2

Phoenix - you are right. It is a very interesting off topic or by-topic subject! When  conflict started - let say at outbreak of Spanish Civil War - it immediately shown that military airplanes which were in use  those days are far below technical abilities of the times. In 1935 the most advanced airplanes (all metal monoplanes) were airliners like DC2 or Boeing 247... Then the technology rapidly went to military sector (first in Germany - as in the country who was heading to conflict) due to needs of taking all possible advantages in war. And then a mechanism like Darwins "the best fit" start to work - simply the technical capabilities of machines became subject of surviving. Evolution as it is in nature. Without any delay in decissions  relativly new machines like Defiant or even Hurricane had to be raplaced by better, since it was matter of staying alive.  Those, which were not the best as possible, or just a bit delayed - were abandoned. This is a sad true of the brutality of  live - the perfecty of antilope comes from the presence of lions nearby... I feel myself not very comfortable with this more or less trivial observation that war makes always the biggest progress in technologies.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hi

Currently I am doing riging of Ripon.

Tail is basicly completed:

rip DSC07028rip DSC07029rip DSC07030

Some triming of unwanted remains of cables is needed

On wings and floats I am about a half way:

rip DSC07032rip DSC07031

The EZ cable undergoes strong electrstatic charging which makes more difficult puting it with pincette into holes. Moreover, the thin plastic in wings with relatively large empty spece between makes room for binding of cable. Therfore I have to temporairly glue pieces of thinned  sprues to play a role of needle.

rip DSC07027

This trick makes riging much faster. But still - it takes time. So I have not maneged to finish it in one day.

To be cont.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 4

The rigging is very well done, really impressive! Using thinned sprue is a great tip for speeding the operation, thanks :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks! :) . 

5 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Is this one far from finished now?

I have to add some details - bomb racks (with German depth charges?), ledder, MG, paddles, anchor etc. Give second coat of colours after finishing fill holes after drilling in upper wing. Decals, varnish and some weathering - so still some work to do.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Rigging=:thumbsup: Jerzy. 

Tony, thanks! 

About Douglas: I noticed a photo showing, that there are some serious difference is beteween DT 2 and DWC. It is in lower wing  a group of ribs at whole range (span) of floats have shorter chord. Moreover, the torpedo is partially hidden (immersed) in fuselage. This required some scratch work. In evening I hope to show some photos...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1