UNCF Nautilus

I decided I wanted to do a little something sci fi, while still doing the Do335. So, I pulled out one of the SBY Dreadnought kits from Bandai. A lovely kit too. If I was doing this OOB, I think I would be in paint already. But as I'm not...

Taking some inspiration from Do-Do, I decided to give her a little stretch in the hull. As well as that, I'll be building up the lower belly scoop, to make it larger and more angular like the forward scoop under the bow. I also have the exhaust nozzle from a 1/48 SR-71 that may serve as a new engine for the ship. It's only slightly larger in diameter than the hull.

First up, the lovely box art!

ixW5UK5.jpg

The pile of sprues.

K6s5gCI.jpg

ynoyp7i.jpg

Firs to go are the little knobs here that protrude from under the upper bulges.

qGE5L0T.jpg

ZsJ7FKH.jpg

I found a nice bit of rod to replace them with.

AJRLd6w.jpg

Took a little detour and cut the hull sides.:o

V3YXrLt.jpg

Then it was back to cutting interior plastic for clearance for the metal rods. Just in case.

Xjidvtv.jpg

9bZIy8I.jpg

And how she looks right now, with a planned length of the stretch.

IJZ4OXE.jpg

Wish me luck. Model on!

• Like 6

Update time!

While waiting for the CA to dry on a nagging seam on the Do335, I brought out my new drill bit set and drilled those holes where the 'knobby' things were.

P9tpw1P.jpg

avXHqml.jpg

Rolling the metal rod under the sharp edge of a hobby knife got me eight of these.

jYcaiZx.jpg

Which were then pushed into the holes and secured with a tiny bit of CA.

7gL8KCs.jpg

8pwtEMv.jpg

Here's with the fore deck in place.

RpR7LHW.jpg

And here is my snafu produced by the dremel.

boqJhEJ.jpg

And my second, produced by my inattention while snipping the dorsal bow fin off the sprue... As you can see, out came the scrap styrene and CA.

LNXa1le.jpg

And finally, the new 'floor' for whatever detail I decide to place into the hole. I could have fixed it, but I've decided some detail would be nicer.

ec2eAZ2.jpg

Al for now, have a good night and model on!

• Like 5

This is a really cool design, I think I like it more than the Andromeda (and I suspect others feel the same as it sold out so fast first time around). Is the extra length just for looks, or to match a different "prototype" ship?

Cheers,

Will

A little more work done on the Nauty. Not much, but some...

The spacers are in space for the bow stretch. They are just scrap pieces from another kit.

duzMbzd.jpg

T7dmxqM.jpg

The bow deck is going to be changed. I'm either going to do a smooth deck, filling in those lines, or use clapboard styrene with far finer and thinner lines for a more scale look.

SrNvDJV.jpg

The box in the middle is the battery box, which I won't be using because it won't be lit. But it makes it easy to slide the two halves together, which makes it easier for the rear stretch as well. And the distance for that was dictated by the tamper proof ring from a juice bottle that I'll be using. It'll bend nicely around the side engine nacelle.

spcYTXC.jpg

6U1ytsV.jpg

YQzi8x6.jpg

And that's it do far. Have a good night. Model on!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Rejoice, for this thread has been resurrected!!:yahoo:

Well, since I am not going to finish the Journey's End GB (seeing how my attention span has waned and there is still a lot to do on that one) I have decided to reopen an older build rather than crack open a new one. Figure getting back into sci fi would be a good change of pace. Firs tthough, some decisions.

I had initially intended to give this ship a double stretch. Some forward and some back. Well now I am not doing the front stretch of the hull - and so that needs to be glued back together!

First up, I had to knock off the black inserts that were going to lengthen the front, and then glue those back together. So it will not be a weak butt-join, I drilled some holes and put in some pegs made from spare sprue.

In this first pic you can see the white spacers that I needed to add to help close the gaps up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And back in the alltogether!

spacer.png

I'll need a little PPP to fill that join but that won't be a problem.

Some additions that are going to happen is to reprofile the lower rear scoop. As stated in the first, I want it to be more angular and matching the front one. I am also looking at getting some quad turrets from Shapeways to line the sides of the superstructure, and also rebuilding the back of the structure, above the rear turret for a landing pad. Something like this.

spacer.png

Won't be exact, but you get the gist.

Just some things to keep me busy.

Model on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving on, I put some plastic in as a spacer, to keep the hull halves at their new distance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I cut some corrugated styrene to a 1/4 inch and started gluing it in sections around the curve. The corrugation on the inside helps it bend around the right radii. I also added a thin strip in the inside to keep the 'open' end at the right position, otherwise it was bowing open.

spacer.png

Other side started and clamped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After that is set, I'll start adding plastic to fill the gaps and then sand it all. It's going to look messy, but that's just part of the process!

Model on!

Thom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first part is now done. I'll add more styrene and sand it all back into profile. Then start filling in those empty gaps.

spacer.png

The foredeck has bow been fixed as well and I'll be adding 'something' to that inset.

spacer.png

And how the Naughty is at the moment.😁

spacer.png

More to come.

Model on!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

looking very nice :)

Originally these ships were supposed to be a bit bigger, about 330 metres as opposed to the 250 something metres they ended up being. They made them a bit smaller so they didn't overshadow the hero ships during the big battles which is a pity.

Always loved the simplicity of the design though, a giant cannon with an engine on the back and a bunch of other guns bolted to it. Does what it says on the tin :D

• Like 1

Thanks fellas! It's nice getting stopped build back in the center of the table. And I wish they had kept the original size, as it wouldn't overshadowed the hero ships in my eyes.😉

Been moving on with this, including finishing most of the inserts and sanding them to shape. Then the hull was glued together and I'm in the process of smoothing out the joins. I'll be losing some detail, but I'll be adding others afterward.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Since I'm changing the under hull scoop, I sanded off the bulge at the back, where it would have melded back in.

spacer.png

And altogether!

spacer.png

I then took a little break from there to concentrate on the scoop. I wanted to change its shape and size, making it a little larger and less rounded. First up was cutting into the back end, to make an area for more nozzles. And then I glued some round stock along the edge.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some filler was added to get ahead of any gaps. Still had them...

spacer.png

I then hit that with sanding drum on a dremel, and then sanding sticks. The tape is there to protect the detail. Then I test fitted it to the bottom.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll need to profile it a bit. Sharpen some angles to mimic the front scoop and add some trailing edges angled to meet the hull. There is also a gap under the three vanes at the front that will be filled with some lined styrene to act as a radiator or inlet.

Still more to do. Model on!

Thom

• Like 3

Maybe a little more than profiling... Moving the stern back but leaving the scoop in place has put it out of balance, at least to my eye.

Before

spacer.png

After

spacer.png

Looks much better with the scoop moved aft as well. So, more filling and sanding acomin!

Looking through my styrene supply, I found some half round 2.0mm that is a perfect fit for the now uneeded grooves.

spacer.png

The other side was filled in as well as the grooves for the vanes. I also snipped off the mounting lugs, as they are no longer needed and just in the way.

spacer.png

More sanding for tomorrow. All for now. Model on!

Thom

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...