Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tony Oliver

Low Visibility Sundowner! 1/72 F-14A Tomcat Hobbyboss VF 111

Recommended Posts

Vince1159    1,846
14 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Didn't think it would go down this well because its a boring drab scheme with no colour...

 

Beautifull job mate,i don't think it's possible for an F-14 to look boring no matter what it's painted....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winenut    1,454

that scale was wh....wh....wh....what???????

 

:)

 

Brilliant

 

Cheers

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony Oliver    3,581

@bearmatt and @Mr.Happy

 

here are all 7 in few group shots I did on the dining table today. Hopefully these will do until I can take them round to my mates. 

They don't look great in these mind.

Of interest is that the gull grey vf32 looks quite washed out in the natural sunlight coming through the window and similar to the light grey vf111, especially in the 2nd and third pictures. 

Makes you wonder what colour the planes really are when you think you are looking at pics of all gull grey birds as you said in WIP hey @Gekko_1  

 

IMG_1163.jpg


IMG_1164.jpg


IMG_1165.jpg


IMG_1166.jpg

 

Cheers Lads 👍🏿

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew    378

Great group shot Tony, what a marvellous collection.

 

I wonder sometimes as to how much I really need to worry about the accuracy of the colours I apply, given that I seldom model in direct sunlight and am therefore not really 'seeing' the colour as it might be photographed on the real thing...

 

Andrew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony Oliver    3,581
7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Great group shot Tony, what a marvellous collection.

 

I wonder sometimes as to how much I really need to worry about the accuracy of the colours I apply, given that I seldom model in direct sunlight and am therefore not really 'seeing' the colour as it might be photographed on the real thing...

 

Andrew.

 

Thanks mate 👍🏿

 

Interesting point you make, and makes sense because alot of models will be built and painted in artificial light, photographed in artificial light, and then displayed at a show in a hall under artificial light...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F-32    1,889

Anyone else humming the Top Gun theme??

 

Awesome work and a great collection

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gekko_1    710
22 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Of interest is that the gull grey vf32 looks quite washed out in the natural sunlight coming through the window and similar to the light grey vf111, especially in the 2nd and third pictures. 

Makes you wonder what colour the planes really are when you think you are looking at pics of all gull grey birds as you said in WIP hey @Gekko_1  

 

B) If you think the transitional period for F-14's was bad to try and work out, have a look at the early US Marine A-4M Skyhawk schemes! :wall:

The VF-111 Tomcat turned out very nice indeed! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bearmatt    133

Thanks Tony! They look superb. Looking forward to the more professional group shot. Can you actually swing the wings on all of them? Or have you fixed them?

 

Sorry to get here a bit off topic and "hijack" your thread :-)

This Gull Gray is giving me a hard time too...cannot really make up my mind about it.

IMHO, I think that there are two different tones of this gull gray, one that actually really is gray and another one that is more into sandish-gray something.

The Monogram Book (Vol 3 & 4 etc) which has color samples in it, is a good reference for it. (And to me, it tends to be more into the latter one)

Although, like you mentioned, it really also depends also upon the exposure.

A few good reference pics can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskx92brs

 

And, for modelers, another point that will influence the final tone is the base coat color you're using...it will change a lot if you use white, gray or black.

 

 

Articifal light vs Sunlight (AK colors) vs Sunlight (Model Master)...

 

32513570302_4db6e7e084_c.jpg

 

 

32528821866_b316822fb4_c.jpg

 

17528097325_4dfc6d9b4a_c.jpg

 

Cheers

 

b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony Oliver    3,581
10 hours ago, bearmatt said:

Thanks Tony! They look superb. Looking forward to the more professional group shot. Can you actually swing the wings on all of them? Or have you fixed them?

Hi mate, yeah when a gull grey tomcat is at the end of a cruise and weathered they do seem to be just a plain light grey especially when photographed on a bright sunny deck. No warm creamy/sand tint to it like when fresh. Plus I have learnt that the gloss gull grey (either with white belly or not) and then later overall matt gull grey (before TPS) were slightly different shades, rather than just gloss and matt versions of the the same colour as the 16440 and 36440 FS numbers would suggest. 

 

Going back to the wings question, yeah all are fixed as you see them, less one. The majority to the rear for space saving in the cabinet. 

The two to the front are the vf101, depicted no crew and engines off so bladders deflated and then the vf102 with its nose down and engines on (wing bladders inflated with bleed air from engines) I built up these with milliput so they could never go back on this build. 

The only one with movable wings is the vf213, I did alot of work on the wing sweep weathering so like to have some of this visible in the cabinet from time to time as I move them around every couple of weeks. Most of the time this one is in a half swept position as shown above. 

 

I am going to try build a hobbyboss cat with either hasegawa or fujimi wings to have a flaps and slats option one day 👍🏿

 

Cheers, Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
woody37    6,029

Really enjoyed seeing this  (and of course the others!!) coming together, you've nailed that weathering :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bearmatt    133
18 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

The two to the front are the vf101, depicted no crew and engines off so bladders deflated and then the vf102 with its nose down and engines on (wing bladders inflated with bleed air from engines) I built up these with milliput so they could never go back on this build. 

Thanks. Learned again something. Never really payed attention to those wing bladders, but now you mentioned it...and you can see the difference very well.

 

b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony Oliver    3,581
1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Brilliant job

 

11 hours ago, matteo44 said:

:partytime:

 

FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!!!!!

:clap2:

 

On 18/09/2017 at 21:44, James G said:

They all look great Tony.

Thanks guys 👍🏿

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×