@bearmatt and @Mr.Happy

here are all 7 in few group shots I did on the dining table today. Hopefully these will do until I can take them round to my mates. 

They don't look great in these mind.

Of interest is that the gull grey vf32 looks quite washed out in the natural sunlight coming through the window and similar to the light grey vf111, especially in the 2nd and third pictures. 

Makes you wonder what colour the planes really are when you think you are looking at pics of all gull grey birds as you said in WIP hey @Gekko_1  

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Cheers Lads 👍🏿

• Like 6

Great group shot Tony, what a marvellous collection.

I wonder sometimes as to how much I really need to worry about the accuracy of the colours I apply, given that I seldom model in direct sunlight and am therefore not really 'seeing' the colour as it might be photographed on the real thing...

Andrew.

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Great group shot Tony, what a marvellous collection.

I wonder sometimes as to how much I really need to worry about the accuracy of the colours I apply, given that I seldom model in direct sunlight and am therefore not really 'seeing' the colour as it might be photographed on the real thing...

Andrew.

Thanks mate 👍🏿

Interesting point you make, and makes sense because alot of models will be built and painted in artificial light, photographed in artificial light, and then displayed at a show in a hall under artificial light...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Of interest is that the gull grey vf32 looks quite washed out in the natural sunlight coming through the window and similar to the light grey vf111, especially in the 2nd and third pictures. 

Makes you wonder what colour the planes really are when you think you are looking at pics of all gull grey birds as you said in WIP hey @Gekko_1  

B) If you think the transitional period for F-14's was bad to try and work out, have a look at the early US Marine A-4M Skyhawk schemes! :wall:

The VF-111 Tomcat turned out very nice indeed! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony! They look superb. Looking forward to the more professional group shot. Can you actually swing the wings on all of them? Or have you fixed them?

Sorry to get here a bit off topic and "hijack" your thread :-)

This Gull Gray is giving me a hard time too...cannot really make up my mind about it.

IMHO, I think that there are two different tones of this gull gray, one that actually really is gray and another one that is more into sandish-gray something.

The Monogram Book (Vol 3 & 4 etc) which has color samples in it, is a good reference for it. (And to me, it tends to be more into the latter one)

Although, like you mentioned, it really also depends also upon the exposure.

A few good reference pics can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskx92brs

And, for modelers, another point that will influence the final tone is the base coat color you're using...it will change a lot if you use white, gray or black.

Articifal light vs Sunlight (AK colors) vs Sunlight (Model Master)...

32513570302_4db6e7e084_c.jpg

32528821866_b316822fb4_c.jpg

17528097325_4dfc6d9b4a_c.jpg

Cheers

b.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bearmatt said:

Thanks Tony! They look superb. Looking forward to the more professional group shot. Can you actually swing the wings on all of them? Or have you fixed them?

Hi mate, yeah when a gull grey tomcat is at the end of a cruise and weathered they do seem to be just a plain light grey especially when photographed on a bright sunny deck. No warm creamy/sand tint to it like when fresh. Plus I have learnt that the gloss gull grey (either with white belly or not) and then later overall matt gull grey (before TPS) were slightly different shades, rather than just gloss and matt versions of the the same colour as the 16440 and 36440 FS numbers would suggest. 

Going back to the wings question, yeah all are fixed as you see them, less one. The majority to the rear for space saving in the cabinet. 

The two to the front are the vf101, depicted no crew and engines off so bladders deflated and then the vf102 with its nose down and engines on (wing bladders inflated with bleed air from engines) I built up these with milliput so they could never go back on this build. 

The only one with movable wings is the vf213, I did alot of work on the wing sweep weathering so like to have some of this visible in the cabinet from time to time as I move them around every couple of weeks. Most of the time this one is in a half swept position as shown above. 

I am going to try build a hobbyboss cat with either hasegawa or fujimi wings to have a flaps and slats option one day 👍🏿

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

The two to the front are the vf101, depicted no crew and engines off so bladders deflated and then the vf102 with its nose down and engines on (wing bladders inflated with bleed air from engines) I built up these with milliput so they could never go back on this build. 

Thanks. Learned again something. Never really payed attention to those wing bladders, but now you mentioned it...and you can see the difference very well.

b.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Tony -
I imagine your back is getting sore from all the pats on the back! And they are very well deserved.

I wanted to comment about the pilots - it just makes a plane more complete when there is a crew filling the 'pit. I can't believe the 3/10ths of a cent cost of plastic is that big a a deal, but it sure helps complete a plane with a crew. Very nice job on the 'Cat!

Thom Ream

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SPGhost said:

Hi Tony -
I imagine your back is getting sore from all the pats on the back! And they are very well deserved.

I wanted to comment about the pilots - it just makes a plane more complete when there is a crew filling the 'pit. I can't believe the 3/10ths of a cent cost of plastic is that big a a deal, but it sure helps complete a plane with a crew. Very nice job on the 'Cat!

Thom Ream

Yeah they do don’t they. Pity alot of kits don’t come with them as you say.

They are really good castings those aires resin dudes. Would like to use some more of them, especially to add some colour to future drab builds like these did. 

• 3 weeks later...