A-Wings - Phoenix Squadron

49 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Badder. The glints that Will was referring to are the two lens flare reflections on the respective canopies in the first shot with the planet backdrop. They were added with a photoshop brush that gives a flare effect. The engine glow was also added in that shot.

The reflections in the strait model shots are entirely natural and come from the camera lights. The glazing was painted in a gloss dark blue, and the reflections do indeed vary from one shot to another depending on the angle of the models. There are no reflections painted on, either digitally or with real paint.

I agree that there's no need to fake effects on a model shot, and it's something I never do. The composite shots, like the first one, are a different matter, and are done for artistic reasons to show a model in a hypothetical 'real' environment.

Andy

You're completely right, I did get the wrong end of the stick!:blush:

First off, I thought the first photo was box art! I had no idea those were your models 'photo-edited'. So actually, in that case, the post-production jiggery-pokery IS justified and deserves a WOW!

Believing that it WAS box art, I assumed the editing had been done to all the following photos. I am therefore happy to hear that they were completely natural. Not that it mattered at al either wayl. My point was that I thought someone was saying those glints weren't as good as they could be.

Thank you for clarifying matters!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

I think there are definitely different conventions to what's allowed in photo edits vs. documentary photos of models :) But all photos are fake in a way, they present a curated view of reality and you can change a lot by how you compose, light and develop them. E.g. when I take pictures of metallic models I quite often use a key light to get glints in the places I want them and stop the model looking flat. So they're not painted highlights, but they wouldn't be in the photo unless I arranged it so they were! Is that a dishonest practice, or just working to show the thing off as best as I can?

Just to explain the criticism I was making about the "hollow" (I don't have a better word) specular glints in Andy's edit, here's one of mine where I did the same thing:

33449161196_65f4cd169f_b.jpg

I added the little vertical "ting" to the cockpit in the middle of a real highlight, but it has a bright white core which I think reads better as a reflection off a shiny surface? OTOH my model isn't lit very well compared to the A-Wings, which are really nicely colour-matched into the background :) I can definitely learn to do that better from seeing Andy's work.

I'm always wary about criticising other people's work especially when it's so good and the criticism is nit-picky, but I think if we don't do that at all the forum becomes a less useful place. Constructive criticism is the lifeblood of creative communities, or something like that.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Vale said:

I think there are definitely different conventions to what's allowed in photo edits vs. documentary photos of models :) But all photos are fake in a way, they present a curated view of reality and you can change a lot by how you compose, light and develop them. E.g. when I take pictures of metallic models I quite often use a key light to get glints in the places I want them and stop the model looking flat. So they're not painted highlights, but they wouldn't be in the photo unless I arranged it so they were! Is that a dishonest practice, or just working to show the thing off as best as I can?

I didn't have a problem and still don't have a problem with anyone editing their photos to create effects and improve the look of their work. Again, I'd have thought your photo of the Cosmo Zero was actually professional box art, rather than a photo of a 'homemade' model. As with Andy's A-wings, the things look that good! So your photo-editing effects have succeeded in that they have shown your work in the 'best possible light'

Repeating what I said earlier, I thought that every one of Andy's photos had been edited to show 'glints', or glare on the canopies. I was surprised at that, but even more surprised at the criticism that they lacked a solid white 'core'. To me that was a bit OTT. But as pointed out, I got the wrong end of the stick.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 2

Yeah I understood that, sorry if I came across as banging on about it. I was trying to better explain what my comment was about after Andy explained what it wasn't about :)

Unrelated to your post, I think the honesty of photos is a really interesting topic so I'm usually keen to talk about it, maybe too keen! Even with film photography the photo is a mix-up of the subject, light, camera, film, and darkroom technician, so it's never a purely documentary exercise.

W

• Like 1

I like the initial 'beauty' shots. I don't have the skills or time to do them

to my models, so they impress me every time. How you do it seems akin to magic!

The shots of the models without the trickery are also always impressive.

• Like 1

I believe Lucasfilm should contact you and hire you for the next movies. Lovely idea, perfect execution as always.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Habu12 said:

Better than my Jedi Starfighter, which I'm too ashamed to post :P

Thanks. I built the Finemolds 1/72 Jedi Starfighter a while back, and I know how fiddly that was to mask and paint, which is why I've not bothered to pick up Bandai's box scale one. I'd be nice to see yours though.

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, R0ver said:

Did you use AMMO’s engine grime? 

Not on these ones. It's quite a heavy wash (a streaking wash, really) and I thought it would be a bit over-powering on something this size. I used a thinner pin wash (Ammo wash for Greman yellow) and a filter (AK NATO tanks). They've both got a brown shade, one a bit lighter than the other, and I thought they'd contrast with the cooler blue tones in the paint scheme.

37035783143_3e51c69a8f_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/10/2017 at 8:56 AM, AndyRM101 said:

Not on these ones. It's quite a heavy wash (a streaking wash, really) and I thought it would be a bit over-powering on something this size. I used a thinner pin wash (Ammo wash for Greman yellow) and a filter (AK NATO tanks). They've both got a brown shade, one a bit lighter than the other, and I thought they'd contrast with the cooler blue tones in the paint scheme.

37035783143_3e51c69a8f_b.jpg

They really do compliment each other well. Excellent stuff. Cheers!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vanoyen said:

Quick question... How in the world do you paint such tiny scratches? Do you use a tiny brush or tooth pick or something?

They were painted with a small brush, a 4/0 in this case

37812703791_448ea4ae01_b.jpg

Not that difficult as long as you keep the paint fairly thin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...