This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Stephen

Battle of Midway movie remake coming from Roland Emmerich

No, in fact, hell no.

Lets hope they don't involve a pointless to the event love story and footage of Hellcats and Helldivers

thanks

Mike

Will there be any British involvement with Swordfish or Lancasters?

Trevor

Perhaps we are all missing the point here. 

Any remake of classic WW2 movies might (I said might) trigger off associated model companies to jump onto the merchandising band wagon.

I know most of the aircraft involved in the Midway conflict have been served quite well, however there's always room for more - isn't there?

It also reminds the younger generation that the world back then was not exactly a nice place - and that today's society owe a heck of a lot to the people who paid the ultimate sacrifice. 

Now I don't wont to get to far down the sentimental track, however even a horrible movie like 'Red Tails' did it's bit to revive interest in this group of intrepid pilots and the P-51 itself.

Bring it on I say as well as remakes of The Dambusters, The Bridges of Toko-Ri and the classic BoB itself.. 

Tally Ho.. Dave. 

Hollywood always has to put a love story in historical films guys and gals. Its in the manual of how to make an important historically based true to life movie. How to get girls and women to a true to life historical moment movie? Add love story... I point out "Pearl Harbor" - garbage. I point out "Enemy at the gates" - good if you ignore the love story. I point out "The thin red line" could've been good ... oh wait they based it on a love story instead of the story of Guadalcanal ?  I point out Titanic - almost the same dialogue as the original 1953 movie ! If you remove the love story elements.

Midway will just be another story that Hollywood. And the "Manual on how to make way over the top Budget movies about Real historic moments and ruin them". Will screw up. Sorry if i rambled

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Let's not forget the behind the scenes love story between Charles Heston's Wildcat flying son and his American born / Japanese girlfriend Huruko Sukura.  

Even the original Midway had an intertwined love story, although thankfully no bedroom scene mushiness was included. 

Cheers.. Dave 

My sons tell me Emmerich's movies are just not that good these days, they were not hopeful when I discussed it with them. Having been to see Dunkirk with them a few days ago & finding they enjoyed it far more than me, I deduced I am no longer the demographic that the movie was made for. I suggested to them that maybe Midway might be the same, the response was "probably not" though I think Rabbit Leaders point about introducing a new generation to this history is probably quite valid.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

A lot of the original Midway air sequences were left overs from Tora, Tora, Tora that were recycled.  Some I think were used in both.   I wonder if you were to make an accurate film (loose the love story etc) if the same criticisms would be aim at it as were aimed at Dunkirk.  i.e. Film was non inclusive on both race and sex grounds ie most of the characters in Dunkirk were white male - would the critics cover most War films?

Whatever - I'd go and see it.  Whilst Dunkirk was good, I did not feel the film conveyed the scale of the operation even if just focussing on the escape of a couple of guys..  Hopefully a block buster will address this...