Airfix Sea Vixen, with some aftermarket help

Christer A

On 31 October 2017 at 10:23, Paramedic said:

Nice work, love those legs and the ´pit! :D

Me too, and I prefer some of the True Details seats to the alternatives. Their Martin Baker Mk3 Hunter seat is particularly good.

John

Thanks a bunch guys!

Halfway through the painting of the seats I was beginning to long for eduard steel belts. There were belts and buckles everywhere!

But after the final paint and primarily the wash I have swung around and actually started to like the stuff.

Now, I can even think to buy some more True Detail seats!

Hunter you say John?

I wonder what else there is...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks a bunch guys!

Halfway through the painting of the seats I was beginning to long for eduard steel belts. There were belts and buckles everywhere!

But after the final paint and primarily the wash I have swung around and actually started to like the stuff.

Now, I can even think to buy some more True Detail seats!

Hunter you say John?

I wonder what else there is...

maybe another Sea Vixen , but this time black nosed with Alley cat conversion for FAW1 ???

You did a great job with those seats!!!

ciao

Massimo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Massimo!

A FAW.1 ? Well, maybe :smile: Too bad that Airfix Sea Vixens are a little hard to come by nowadays...

Let's see, have I forgotten anything?
37580269425_9c6e5726f5_o.jpg
I sure hope not since I started to glue everything together.
Not a perfect fit, but far from bad, in fact with sequential gluing it's not a biggie.
37580267225_c8ddd94ce7_o.jpg
The tank-booms were a little trickier. I couldn't get them to fit both in front and the rear at the same time, so I started with the back.
38411470046_08cb7cd0d4_o.jpg
It gave quite a gap at the front but fear not:
24595350178_12cb19a228_o.jpg
Force is always a solution!

38411469166_c0c448a9ef_o.jpg
38411468686_86939fc8e4_o.jpg
And al of a sudden, a very Maschinen Krieger device started to take shape...

37580268715_1596f33847_o.jpg
(nosecone is not glued yet! I know ther is a big need for weights in order to avoid a tail sitter!)
Then I just had to do another dryrun and compare it to another Avon-engined beauty:
37580266685_de464d4c3d_o.jpg
24595348888_bd6f6f7994_o.jpg
Big bird, that Sea Vixen!

Edited by Christer A
Spelling
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Yes, they're the same scale!

I haven't found the wings yet, but I did contact Airfix spares department and it seems that they actually have a pair and have sent them to me.

Yay!

Now I'm sure that the original wings will turn up too...

Out of pure Mojo-preservation I started to convert a Hasegawa/Revell 1/72 Draken to a planned attack version.

A fun little diversion!

23847198_10207805237807592_6058348222861

But it will be on the backburner. Hopfully i can resume all Sea Vixenary things shortly!

• Like 4

Hello Christer !

Wow, really like your Sea Vixen ! Very well done !!

And now I will start mines.... Can you believe it ??

Starting a kit once again... :hmmm::hmmm:

The comparison with the Draken tell it all... The problem is... I also have a Draken Ach !

Good job my friend, really impressive ... as usual !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

Thanks CC!

I wonder what will get finished first? The two Drakens or the Sea Vixen at my bench or the Draken and Sea Vixen at yours?

Or will we get distracted by some other shiny thing ( Sea Fury!) in the not too distant future ?

:wink:

Edited by Christer A
spelling!
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks CC!

I wonder what will get finished first? The two Drakens or the Sea Vixen at my bench or the Draken and Sea Vixen at yours?

Or will we get distracted by some other shiny thing ( Sea Fury!) in the not too distant future ?

:wink:

Can I place a bet on the distraction....

The 2 Sea furies are waiting for the third one to have a start !!!:mental::mental:

My F-4B is restarted too,  Aï caramba....

Hard for me to restart the Baé Lightning, she's almost finished....:frantic:

I feel some itching at my Devastators too....:frantic::frantic:

You know what ???

I think that I'm crazy :dunce::christmas::fool:

Sincerely.

CC

PS; I managed to finish 6 or 7 in 2017... So, There's still some hope ( not for my sanity of course !!)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

You know what ???

I think that I'm crazy :dunce::christmas::fool:

I think we established that some considerable time ago.

Martian von Kettle Calling The Pot Black

• Haha 4

It wasn't that much of a fit issue, more me being extra cautious. I could probably have forced it in place in one go, but I felt I had more control this way, something I learned during my 1/24 Typhoon build a few years back. It should lead to less filler use, I hope!

• Like 2

While waiting for Airfix replacement wings I took the time to fettle the inner flaps into place.
As per RAF/FAA custom flaps are always closed on the ground, and they apparently never droops either due to low oil pressure. Fair enough, closed flaps on the menu then!
One of them needed to be shimmed with some strips to lay level, but the other one was sufficient to just sand to fit.
26971710419_bbb598fbec_o.jpg
off course, a lot of sanding was needed to get it to fit somewhat snugly, but in the end it got down to this.
26971710729_222225fcb6_o.jpg
I'll fill the gaps with PPP later on.
Quickboost have produced some nice small airscoops:
26971710189_7e939ab90b_o.jpg
To bad that they have a poor fit towards the wing. It seems like they've shrunk a little. :cry:
38716557272_6db95e1952_o.jpg
38716557412_07953601f6_o.jpg
Some more things to fill with PPP then.

While waiting for the wings from Airfix spares, I'll have some fun with filling and sanding I think....
  • Like 8

I had exactly the same issue with the Quickboost intakes - but they are still worth it!  She's coming on nicely.  Incidentally, the closed flaps didn't fit that brilliantly on the real thing - though better than the gap you have at the moment, I admit.

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2017 at 8:49 AM, Christer A said:
Quickboost have produced some nice small airscoops:

To bad that they have a poor fit towards the wing. It seems like they've shrunk a little. :cry:

I would use the kit ones which fit really well, and put a slither of plastic card up em to replicate the splitter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks after I first received a mail from Airfix Spares telling me that they've set the parts, I still haven't received any.

Today I contacted Airfix again, and apparently they never had any parts to begin with!

3 weeks of waiting with nothing to show for it, and the original ones are still as lost.

I think I shall have a lie down to think about the next step...because it breaks my heart to trash this kit :brokenheart::cry:

• Sad 2

DO NOT TRASH THE KIT !!!

Shelve it and work on something else. Put ads looking for the parts, here and elsewhere if you use other forums. Try IPMS clubs also when looking for spares, someone may have what you need. If all else fails, wait and look for another kit to build. Someone may have shelved a kit because it was too hard or they made a mistake. Ive trashed kits only to find i could've had the parts if i tried. I hope this helps.

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I'll put an add in the wanted section ASAP.

Also, Trumpeter will shortly release their Sea Vixen and maybe they include two ser ofta wings? One can only hope.

In the meantime, i'll park it properly and make sure that all remaining parts are acounted for :)

• Like 1