Rating, Royal Naval Division, Antwerp, 1914 --- Tommy's War 54mm

Old Man

This figure represents a leading seaman of the Royal Naval Division at Antwerp in October, 1914 (the rank is indicated by the 'fouled anchor' patch on his left sleeve). The unit was formed from naval reservists called to the colors t mobilization, who were in excess of requirements for manning the fleet. Mr. Churchill saw to their being sent to reinforce the final Belgian defense of Antwerp in October, 1914. They were fitted out as a naval landing party at this time. The unit continued as an infantry division through the Great War, though after Antwerp in more soldierly attire.

IMG_9642_zpspelpo6gz.jpg

IMG_9644_zpsvt6tlxx6.jpg

IMG_9646_zpsyq7ylvdh.jpg

IMG_9648_zps7ofrpt9p.jpg

IMG_9650_zps7rvh0ufc.jpg

The figure is from Tommy's War, in resin, and comes in several pieces. It is rated 54mm (an old measurement from the ground to the eyes), but is actually a bit taller --- scaling it out at the standard 1/32 equivalent, he come out a good 6' 6". I cut fine strip of white decal strip for the stripes; the rank emblem is painted free-hand. I may eventually take it off this simple base and place it on something more elaborate, but certainly the figure itself is done.

• Like 8

On 9/11/2017 at 2:54 PM, giemme said:

Impressive! :clap: It looks much bigger then 1/32; the sculpt is no doubt excellent, and so is your painting :worthy:

Ciao

On 9/12/2017 at 1:15 AM, Vince1159 said:

I'll have second what giemme said,fantastic painting Old Man :goodjob:....

On 9/12/2017 at 9:07 AM, Bullbasket said:

Great job. You've even got the pale skin to go with the ginger/red hair!

John.

Thank you all very much, Gentlemen. I appreciate the kind words. I hope I can get the next one better. I am getting a couple of white metal Art Girona figures for my next efforts at figure work.

• Like 1