1/72 Airfix Armstrong Whitworth Whitley by Thomas Sandros

sandros

This is a project that lasted quite long, intermittently and was my first contact with the new molds of Airfix.

The general impression is good, as the model is huge, considering the scale, with clean parts, in light gray plastic, without annoying signs, clear transparent parts and thin wellprinted decals.

The whole construction was completely Out Of the Box with the only addition of the Fabric seat belts of Eduard on the seats, an unnecessary addition, hardly distinguished, just wanted to try it. It is almost as though decals, hard to fold, I don't think there is reason to use them at least in 1/72 and in close or greenhouse canopies bomber. And once that we talk about seat belts, last experimenting with the green stuff,  which by adding photo etched buckles, gives amazing results.

The fit in large pieces is too good and most buckle up seamlessly, except for the transparent "greenhouse" in the space of the cockpit that on the right side leaves a step, which needs persistent rubbing and attention to fix.

The smaller pieces are somewhat abstract castings but at such a great model probably passed unnoticed. However, the barrels of rear machine guns were replaced by resin aftermarkets.

One of the drawbacks is the bomb hatches which in order to glued open must cut the pieces respectively. They suffer from poor application and do even worse things, no soldering connectors.

The painting was made with mixes of colors of Tamiyia, which unfortunately were lost as I kept them in another file which accidentally deleted. Fading was homogenized with filters giving an almost uniform wear. The fabric wing surfaces (which admittedly is a bit imprecise) were highlighted with light oils and the resulting image was supplemented with panel line wash of tamiya and mig. Smoke trails on the engines completed the whole picture.

IMGP6556.jpg

IMGP6558.jpg

IMGP6562.jpg

IMGP6563.jpg

IMGP6564.jpg

IMGP6565.jpg

IMGP6566.jpg

IMGP6567.jpg

IMGP6569.jpg

IMGP6570.jpg

IMGP6572.jpg

IMGP6573.jpg

IMGP6574.jpg

IMGP6575.jpg

IMGP6577.jpg

IMGP6582.jpg

IMGP6583.jpg

IMGP6585.jpg

IMGP6586.jpg

IMGP6587.jpg

IMGP6588.jpg

IMGP6589.jpg

IMGP6590.jpg

Edited by sandros
missed photo
  • Like 60

That's very nice, very nice indeed. Bad timing though. I was toying with the idea of acquiring a Whitley. I like the early war British bombers. But decided against it for perfectly valid reasons which now lie in dust at my feet.

Oh well out comes the creditcard again.

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind at all,  on the contrary! I used Tamiya German Grey and Buff mainly. I outlined the streaks with the gray, according to photos from Lancasters, since both planes were using the same engines and have similar dihedral on wings. Then the inside was filled with various shades of buff, lighter at the center. I used an Iwata hp-b 0,2 and the colours were very thinned 85-90% with tamiya laquer thinner.  Low pressure and steady hand required.

Edited by sandros
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Absolutely wonderful! I'm inspired to crack mine open and start building.

Are you going to have a go at some other new Airfix kits?

Thank you very much! A harrier gr3 or a nakajima Kate, are near by the bench but I am not sure yet which and when!

9 hours ago, Michael Enright said:

Splendid build.

My first response was that I was going to ask you about those superb camouflage colours but having read your message, I will leave well enough alone,

Michael

Searching my notes, I can tell that for dark earth I used as primary colour XF52 + XF54 + XF2 (1:1:1). This colour was lightened with flesh and more white in order to have 3 different shades.

For dark green XF61+XF65+XF2 (1:1:1). as primary colour. This was lightened with yellow and white and darkened with black. 

The aftermath is that a light buff filter would give a sense of fatigue to the model. But I will try it on my next Modell.

Edited by sandros
  • Like 1