F-16 wheels in 1/32

Alan P

Hi you knowledgeable lot,

I've been tasked with building a Norwegian F-16 Block 15 MLU in 1/32 from the Academy Block 40/50 kit. 

As far as I can gather the cockpit should be okay, the NSI intake and nozzle are included and the parabrake housing is also in the kit. 

The problem is landing gear. I've drawn a complete blank with early F-16 wheels in the aftermarket. It seems I might be able to use the wheels from an old Hasegawa kit but where would I find one of those?! Also the kit only has the bulged gear doors and nobody seems to make alternatives for those either.

a651b28f-5d0b-4907-afc3-8e73bb9b79c9.jpg

(pic from designer.home.xs4all.nl/)

If anyone knows better, would you kindly point me in the right direction, please?

Many thanks,

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan

I did a similar thing in 1/48 a while back, converting a Tamiya C to an early RNoAF A variant and have planned doing it in 1/32 but never found the holy grail Tamiya 1/32 Thunderbird kit as it is the best starting point (though seemingly at a huge price now).

I didn't think the MLU jets used the early wheels, though could easily be proved wrong. The only options I ever found were the original Hasegawa kit and these resin ones from Hannants (look to be copies almost of the Hasegawa wheels) https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PF32295. Neither are 100% accurate but they look like them to me. 

The whole gear set up in the Academy kit is the heavy type, could not find any AM plain gear doors too, only in the Hasegawa kit or Tamiya kit. The Hasegawa kit main gear bay is too small though so you would have to modify them to fit the Academy kit, nothing for someone of your skills though! 

You might have to modify the Parapack tail too, it will have the thicker C base extension which is different to the earlier shapes, best just get some decent images and modify from there, some work but again no sweat really. There are other AM A style tails around, PWMP (looks to have shape problems to my eye) and Ksal hobby : http://www.modelmaker.com.pl/K32006-F-16A-B-MLU-Vertical-Tail-1-32-Academy-AFV-CLUB/1265/

You will need to modify the top of the tail on the Ksal one, it still retains the thicker C top for some reason. 

Probs are some other tweeks to do but I forget off the top of my head, would love to see a WIP of it here! :) 

Interested in what stencils you will use (I assume Zotz for the main markings), maybe have to combine maybe a few sheets?

Good luck!

David.

edit, another thing worth mentioning...FS(3)6270..being a 'rivet counter' on RNoAF F-16s, the Modelmaster version nails this colour imho, I've tried Xtracolor, Mr Hobby and Mr Color. The latter two seem a bit too blue/purple, Xtracolour maybe a bit too light grey, Modelmaster without modification seems bang on to my eye. A grey is a grey though so a lot of paints  can be used and it should look the business.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

That's really helpful, David! Thanks.

The doors are okay, I will build up the interior with some plasticard and sand the bulges off. Might be better to use the kit wheels and just sand a mm off each side to thin them out.

I think the parapack tail extension in the Academy kit is the wider chord version so I'll stick with that. I'll use the Pratt exhaust from the kit and hope I can hide all the seams!

I've begun the build as it is, so thanks for the input.

Alan

Edit: re the grey, I rarely use just one shade, so I'll start with the Xtracrylix 270 and work from there! Also, the orange stencils will be borrowed from the Sufa kit and the upper ones will be painted by hand using Eduard stencil masks in Dk Gull Gray 36231. Should look okay!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1