Sanger Blackburn Iris

Excellent work again BB.

The more I see the more I like the idea of building wings and complex tailplanes 'off-site' so to speak. You seem to have much more control over the situation.

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update......

Trying to get the nacelles looking more like the real thing and generally less blobby!

This photo show how the exhausts are not stuck to the sides but cantilever at the rear.

37986460466_4e545124ec.jpg

Here's what the kit supplies.

38067595341_f0b493380e_c.jpg

The moulded exhaust has been cut off filled and a new plastic rod added, plus some additional side louvres created by taking a tin foil rubbing of the corrugated end of a CD case.

26765673739_fe220b35e6_c.jpg

Another shot showing also that the end of the nacelle has been extended to fit the profile of the prop hub better.

38485606186_7b97eb257c_c.jpg

While the silver spray can was out the tail got a quick blast.

38510193752_69e5bb0401_c.jpg

Glad to say that all parts are now 'assembled' and there is no more sanding!

Looking forward to bringing the different sub assemblies together and heading for the finishing line.. or do I mean fishing line for the rigging.

• Like 14

The wire inside food bag twizzles comes in very handy when you need malleable thin wire for making the finishing touch to a gun ring opening.38622965216_99330bb96f_c.jpg

37961021314_52466bf858_c.jpg

The fuselage has had some panel lines added for visual interest, based on the odd photo rather than any known drawing.

24806534658_da13e6ddb8_c.jpg

The whole thing temporarily assembled now looks like this.

26902979729_3a36655e66_c.jpg 

Back to completing the engines next and mounting them on the wing, preferably all facing the same direction in a reasonably straight line!

• Like 11

Hello BB,

That's an impressive built for sure !

I congratulate you, when I saw the entry, I just said to myself that it was a 2 years affair !

I will I could have at least the half of your skill for vacu !

You really did great ! And such a big subject !

:partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello BB,

That's an impressive built for sure !

I congratulate you, when I saw the entry, I just said to myself that it was a 2 years affair !

I will I could have at least the half of your skill for vacu !

You really did great ! And such a big subject !

:partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi Corsaircorp,

Thank you for the praise, I think it will be finished in time, managed to pick up a can of Humbrol matt lacquer this morning to dull down the fabric parts. I can then get some rigging underway.

Vacs are not that hard, just keep the filler handy!

Regards,

Neil

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, time is running out so thought I'd better get on with it!

38419883074_469c45fd66_c.jpg

39130032681_506b356478_c.jpg

25262818628_3e6e590eb6_c.jpg

As you can see I have been busy rigging which I plan to tint black.

There's a not brilliant fit between the wing and fuselage that needs filling.

On to details now and a good chance it will be finished!

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Nice to see people having a good go at the 'tween-wars flying boats.  I'd love to do the mighty Short Sarafand but that'll remain a pipe-dream I think.

It’s turned out more challenging than I thought but getting there now. Is there a Sarafand vac, not one i’ve Come across?

I'm not aware of one myself either as it happens and I'm too downright lazy to scratchbuild! My search for any indication on that score led me to a BM thread about a photo of various flying boats, including one I've never heard of 'til now, the Short S.18 'Knuckleduster.'

Edited by JosephLalor

Last update before Christmas, need to pack my bench away as visitors will be staying in the room over Christmas. Need a final push straight after to meet the deadline!

Still need to do-props, tethering points, gun rings, complete the handrails, windscreens etc.

So this is where I am upto, glad I took the decision to scribe some panel lines on the fuselage would have looked a bit bare otherwise. The contrast or difference between the fabric wings and metal fuselage works quite well imho!

39186100252_1cf3d406d3_c.jpg

39186086332_94d653546a_c.jpg

27437949219_456189116f_c.jpg

Happy Christmas to all!

• Like 10