Sanger Blackburn Iris

This is going well! It was always one of the ones I wanted to do, so maybe a trawl through Kingkit is in order soon! I know I had fun with Contrail's Scapa and Singapore III.

Looking forward to your progress, and I hope the aerofoil section gets sorted soon for you!

Ray

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray S said:

This is going well! It was always one of the ones I wanted to do, so maybe a trawl through Kingkit is in order soon! I know I had fun with Contrail's Scapa and Singapore III.

Looking forward to your progress, and I hope the aerofoil section gets sorted soon for you!

Ray

Thanks Ray, you do know that Sanger still sell them?

http://www.sangereng.co.uk/blackburn_iris_1.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit quiet of late but still battling on!

Two wings now together with a dihedral supported by internal structure (apologies for getting carried away and not photographing or posting the process),

so here they are, still needing a bit more painting. Rattle can by the way.

37945533801_fd5773880e.jpg

According to Sanger all I do now is cut struts to length stick them to the bottom wing and pop the top one on.24094543108_793851ba19.jpg

That should work a treat....but how will I know they are all the right length? Scrap that idea and add them a few at a time, so I joined the two wings with 4 principal struts dowled top and bottom with a spigot of wire.

37914991472_0abffb860d_c.jpg

then added the sloping ones just spiggoted at the bottom and glued at the top. I'll continue adding the rest this way so that I can guarantee they are the right length. The wing assembly is only resting on the fuselage, I'll fully assemble it and the tail before uniting them with the fuselage. I have also predrilled the rigging holes as it will be difficult to get a drill in there afterwards. The engines and supports will be completed as sub-assemblies and added as completed items.

I now also have some etched scarf rings which will add to the completed model.

37892443066_4b9c230b81_c.jpg

Back soon with completed wings!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stevehed said:

Very impressive.

Steve

Thanks Steve, its going to get more complicated yet when I get round to the engines!

12 hours ago, TonyW said:

I take my hat off to you Sir.

A model I've always wanted to have a crack at, but it so far eludes me.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing  the progress on this one.

Tony.

Come on Tony, give it a go, you only have your sanity to loose!

I have been tying myself up in knots trying to get my head around the struts/engine nacelle relationship for an Iris and got very confused. I think I've now sorted it and decided to share what I think is the case. If your like me the research is almost more enjoyable than the modelling! so here is a picture of an Iris (probably MkIII)

37331168124_fe04882033_c.jpg

Note the struts in front of the nacelle.

Here's another photo of an Iris.

38009036262_2fd509ed4e_c.jpg

In this one the strut goes through the nacelle. My conclusion is this a Mk IV or V which had different engines and is the forerunner of the Perth which has the same arrangement thus...

37986440286_e9f06f3444_b.jpg

Clearly the Perth has the same arrangement with the outer two engines supported by the struts.

The bottom line is of course I can carry on as planned with the struts and stop stressing!

One final Iris photo showing the arrangement for Iris MkI-III and possibly IV but definitely not V which is probably a Perth anyway but someone hadn't got round to sticking a lid on the cockpit!

37986460466_4e545124ec_c.jpg

Whilst looking at that final photo its obvious that the exhaust on the model nacelles are moulded tight to the sides, more things to alter....

• Like 4

Great pictures BB, thanks for the one of the Perth, which only makes me feel even guiltier for not having done anything to it for weeks !

Are you going to take the struts lengths from the diagram / plans that come with the kit ?

I have the Contrail version of the kit which has a 1/72 scale ( at least that is what it claim to be ) set of plans, if they of any use I can copy and send them.

I haven't managed to find any interior pictures of a Perth, did you come across any when you were researching your Iris ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great pictures BB, thanks for the one of the Perth, which only makes me feel even guiltier for not having done anything to it for weeks !

Are you going to take the struts lengths from the diagram / plans that come with the kit ?

I have the Contrail version of the kit which has a 1/72 scale ( at least that is what it claim to be ) set of plans, if they of any use I can copy and send them.

I haven't managed to find any interior pictures of a Perth, did you come across any when you were researching your Iris ?

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Wondered when I might see your Perth coming together, time to crack on!

I cut 4 main struts using the drawing supplied then joined the wings together and cut the rest to fit, see post 30.

No other interior shots than the one you've seen, I based mine on that, less will be seen in yours because the Perth has a canopy.

I'm sure the Contrail and Sanger plans are the same but thanks for the offer.

look forward to seeing your progress,

Neil

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent work on the wings! The metallic finish is superb!

Cheers

Jaime

thanks but I feel a fraud, it's straight out of a spray can from Wilko's ! Actually I think its a bit too shiny for fabric and needs dulling, will be great for the metal fuselage and nacelles though.

• Like 2

Great to see the progress that you have made on this one. I doo like the idea of aessembling the wings and then adding these as a unit to the hull. Struts which are at an angle or go through engine nacelles are always a painful challenge - You have certainly got over that hurdle with flying colours. I am looking forward to seeing more of this model being completed.

P

• Like 1