1/35 Afrika Korps PanzerKampfWagen II Ausf. G

Bill.B

Since dipping my toes back into the world of plastic modelling with the classic Tamiya Panther some weeks ago and having a modicum of success I decided to try another cheap Tamiya kit to try out the world of DAK. As can be seen it's the humble little Pzkpfw II, but I've added a smattering of PE, Aber barrels, scale aerial, modified Tamiya Jerry cans & fuel barrel, and a resin sand bag to add a bit of 'realism'. The rope holding the barrel is simply sewing thread that's been dyed in a dark brown wash, allowed to dry and then run through an old tea light candle. This lightly waxes the thread and stops most of the fine wayward threads sticking up. Personally I found the desert scheme quite a bit more difficult to apply than the European type so please feel free to give me some useful criticism as it's the only way I'll learn. :yes:

36329721334_fb4700614f_b.jpg

36768365900_2a845136a9_b.jpg

36768367160_de745d2da8_b.jpg

36351999703_8023107725_b.jpg

36351998103_9d5c30b68c_b.jpg

• Like 11

This looks great overall, and I do like the paint.  It appears  to be the second tropical colour issued as I detect a pinkish tone.  Desert is usually associated with dust, which you could add, but the Tunisian region did experience quite a bit of mud during the rainy season.

Both the weapons would be left in natural gun metal colour. The 20mm main gun had a high rate of fire, and like the machine gun, any paint would distress from the heat, so they are never bothered with being painted over in the vehicle colour.

Unfortunately, the markings are of the 18th Panzer Division and never was involved in the African campaign.

regards,

Jack

Thanks for the info Jack, much appreciated. I was going to make a diorama where the tank had driven through wet sand, hence the dirty tracks, but as I'm still learning about German AFVs I hadn't realised I'd made such a drop off with the insignia. I might not have if Tamiya had included an English translation of their colour chart. Lesson learned!  :unamused:

Options C and D are for Africa (they are marked with 15 and 21 which are the appropriate panzer divisions).  Those that are familiar with the desert campaign would also recognize the respective symbols associated with the AfrikaKorps.  You kind of mixed and matched - but it can always be explained as a 'what if' project.

932666262_022.jpg

regards,

Jack

At all apart from issues mentioned by Jack I think it is very good model even if it is quite old kit (I make it as well). Therefore I suggest to think about replacing those horrible vinyl tracks for something better what this model deserves.

Hi Chris,

Apart from the aforementioned mistakes, I think your Panzer looks fine, and is better than 'bog standard'. I don't know why you think the desert scheme is any more difficult. It's the same as any other single-colour camo scheme, just in dark yellow. But I wouldn't worry too much about getting the perfect colour match, and personally I think a bit of artistic licence is to be encouraged. Photograph that with a red sunrise/sunset in the background and that'll look spot on.

I like the rusty exhaust cover. Your stowage is great, and actually tied down, which is always good to see! I've used wax to smooth my tow cables, and it does work, but now I use dilute PVA instead. It's less messing about and you can paint it afterwards if required.

Rearguards,

Badder

I think it looks good, especially for just a second AFV.  That must be either a small tank or one hell of a big fuel drum, haha.

I never worry about the correct insignia, I just make sure no 2 of the same vehicles, like 2 Tiger I's have the same numbers.  That would be a SNAFU but as far as caring what was the 

correct marking for when or where it doesn't concern me.  It seems like any time I've tried to put the correct markings on a model to represent the location and time frame I've always managed to

farble one decal up so I just gave up.  It's tough to get one decal off after you have ruined it's mate, paint job or combat damage.

Jack is right, I do see a pinkish or even an orangish tone to the paint and maybe some dust would help with that.  And the tracks, the tracks, Tamiya and their rubber bands that are even usually too short

so too tight and resemble nothing but an elastic band stretched around the running gear.  Kris is right, a model of this quality deserves better and since you have already gone to the dark side with aftermarket photo

etch, barrels, drums, etc what's a few more (was going to say "bucks" but guess it would be pounds for you) shekels?

Lloyd

Thanks for comments everyone, this is exactly the sort of info I need and I'm taking good note. With reference to the colour, it is actually a slightly different shade in real life and as I'm usuing a phone camera it may be part responsible for a false rendition.

Initially I also thought the drum looked too large, but unless Tamiya have made it (or the tank) to the wrong scale I can't see it being too far out. I've included a photo with it along side my previous Panther and there's quite a difference in size so maybe the drum is of correct scale? 

37281805265_10372d5c59_b.jpg

36994661952_c82ebc9a67_b.jpg

Edited by Bill.B
Re-post image

For a second AFV, it's very good. Just make sure that it isn't the last. I wouldn't worry too much about the exact shade of DAK yellow. What you need to remember is that these tanks spent a long time out in the Libyan desert and were blasted by the sand and bleached by the sun.

John.