1/35 WW1 Infantry(Revell)

Jim Wasley

Wow great work again Jim. :thumbsup2:

I was losing what few marbles I have just doing six figures so fair play to you!

One thing I found was that the Tamiya paint I used for the uniforms had a bit of a sheen to it, which seemed to be amplified by the camera for some reason. I managed to reduce the effect by brushing a small amount of matt varnish where the clothing was.

Not a criticism you understand, just an observation based on my own experience :)

All the best

• Thanks 1

Yes you are very right Clive,I put a light coat of clear over the figures before I give them a wash with oils,and then after that another coat of flat varnish and if any highlights I usually put a dusting of pastels over any highlights,I find this tones them down,I think I just got a bit tired and lazy here,I do take my pics under very bright light indoors and sometimes this makes them look a bit that way,but that is no excuse and I'm not looking for any,should have taken more attention,I take no offence to what you said it is very good of you to mention this,who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks,Cheers and Thanks.

• Like 1

Not sure if you have this available where you are, Jim, but I have found that Winsor and Newton do a matt varnish in their Galeria range of acrylic mediums, it's quite gloopy so doesn't run and drip everywhere, but brushes on very easily. I daresay there are others out there, but just to say that this stuff has worked for me. :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, clive_t said:

Not sure if you have this available where you are, Jim, but I have found that Winsor and Newton do a matt varnish in their Galeria range of acrylic mediums, it's quite gloopy so doesn't run and drip everywhere, but brushes on very easily. I daresay there are others out there, but just to say that this stuff has worked for me. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive,heard of Winsor & Newton can not say I know anything about their products.I use a Atelier matte varnish that is very much like what you described,I've had most of my paints since Adam was a boy,have nothing for modelers in my area,have to buy all on line,think my gear is OK its just the user is getting past his use by date,will try and pay more attention next time,do remembering the French figures were a little on the glossy side but I forgot to correct,must get out the make-up and powder their noses:D,Many thanks again Clive its nice to have someone give me a heads up,nearly 70 years and I,m still learning Cheers.(sometimes I think I have my youth back when born had little hair,wore nappies and wet myself,to day I do the same Ha Ha:yes:)

• Haha 1