Bashar Al Squarehead's Syrian (& Iraqi) Armour

14 hours ago, BallsBuster said:

Sorry, but no.. from my limited knowledge on the issue the list should look closer to below.

if you are talking about Soviet export modifications there were

-T-72 (mods E and E-1) - basically a retarded T-72 

-T-72M (mods E-2, E-3, E-4) -basically retarded T-72A but with less armor and not laminated turret cheeks. Simplified FCS and different ammo options as well although externally not noticeable. 

- T-72M1 (mods E-5, E-6) - looking a bit like T-72A of later series.

-T-72M1M - roughly corresponding to T-72B1

- T-72C - again roughly T-72B but with wind sensors and extra weapons options(like Svir complex) and REA. Went on export from 1987.

The above is very rough understanding of Soviet exports... I am not sure anyone was granted a license to produce T-72B outside Russia hence T-72M2 (produced in Slovakia) should be closer to T-72A

Basically yes, although the M1M and C were Russia trying to drum up exports, none of which really took off, same as the B2 Rogatka although some of the technology found its way to being incorporated into what became the B3. The T 72M2 is the Slovakian designation for the further development of the T 72M1, the differences being the Reactive armour, sights, the addition of the 2A42 30mm cannon on the right side of the turret ( the prototype had 2x20mm guns, one either side) and cage armour, but under all that is still a T 72M1

• Thanks 1

On 13 July 2018 at 00:37, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Bugger.  :(

Does anyone know if any of the Modelcollect kits have a spare T-72A turret top?  :shrug:

I will try this again! Unfortunately I have not seen a spare A type turret, however if you need one let me know I have a spare one hanging round 😀

• Thanks 1

Black Dog T-54 conversion set arrived.....Looks pretty good at a casual glance no obvious bubbles or miscasts.  Still waiting on the gun & some other bits from Zedval, but I'll start cleaning up the running gear in anticipation of their arrival.  B)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Black Dog T-54 conversion set arrived.....Looks pretty good at a casual glance no obvious bubbles or miscasts.  Still waiting on the gun & some other bits from Zedval, but I'll start cleaning up the running gear in anticipation of their arrival.  B)

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one :clap:

Just found these:

AR-AC7291b.jpg

Armory T-55 turret

AR-AC7291a_.jpg

Armory T-54A turret

They look pretty good to me, which makes it all the more annoying that Hannants don't sell them (despite selling about a million different Armory wheel sets for wingy-things).  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

ry T-54A turret

They look pretty good to me, which makes it all the more annoying that Hannants don't sell them (despite selling about a million different Armory wheel sets for wingy-things).  :rolleyes:

A pet hate of mine too. At least you found me a decent source in the USA for those truly lovely BTR wheels.

• Like 1

I phoned Hannants earlier to ask about this, apparently the guy I need to speak to (Tony) isn't there, so I'll call back tomorrow. 

It's bloody silly that they stock so many wheels for wingy-things (that don't really need them) and none whatsoever for AFV kits that absolutely need them (including several brands of kits with dodgy tyres that they sell without warning).  :mellow:

PS - It seems they do sell Armory AFV kits, so there may actually be hope.....Fancy giving 'em a ring and backing me up? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I phoned Hannants earlier to ask about this, apparently the guy I need to speak to (Tony) isn't there, so I'll call back tomorrow. 

It's bloody silly that they stock so many wheels for wingy-things (that don't really need them) and none whatsoever for AFV kits that absolutely need them (including several brands of kits with dodgy tyres that they sell without warning).  :mellow:

PS - It seems they do sell Armory AFV kits, so there may actually be hope.....Fancy giving 'em a ring and backing me up? 

Call booked for tomorrow Tony at Hannants. Hopefully a result.

• Thanks 1

It would be cool if they would carry the wheels for the BTRs in stock, ACE do some decent kits these days, but the tyres are evil.  Likewise the ICM BTR-60s, while their tyres are plastic and thus safe to use, they are a couple of mm too big and it shows.

The nagging has begun: 

I've just about completed my Soviet/Russian tank collection (at least until Modelcollect release their T-62 range).....A few of them will be turning up here in due course (T-72A, T-72AV, T-72BM).

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've just about completed my Soviet/Russian tank collection (at least until Modelcollect release their T-62 range).....A few of them will be turning up here in due course (T-72A, T-72AV, T-72BM).

I had a sneaky peek in the T-72B with ERA box and it looks great. I might have to have a go at that one sometime.

Duncan B

8 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I had a sneaky peek in the T-72B with ERA box and it looks great. I might have to have a go at that one sometime.

There are three sets of ERA in that kit, you only need one for a model unless you are planning on deceiving ignorant capitalists:

B71qZpa.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/07/2018 at 21:21, BallsBuster said:

- T-72C - again roughly T-72B but with wind sensors and extra weapons options(like Svir complex) and REA. Went on export from 1987.

That's a Cyrillic 'C' (Es) so is usually written in English as T-72S. Iran have them in an attractive camo. For anyone wanting to model one some of the other external differences include the lack of nadboi anti-radiation cladding, missing left side turret stowage box (has a rail there) and a much reduced number of Kontakt ERA blocks on the sideskirts.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's like a millstone around my neck.....Nothing seems to put a dent in it, I can build a whole platoon without ever exposing any wall space!  :o

Not buying any more would probably help.....Assuming everything turns up this week, I only have to buy a couple more kits, but then Modelcollect will release their T-62s or MT-LBs and I will feel obliged to order then immediately, just in case a black-hole might swallow the earth (or something).  :mental:

That being said, it is kind of nice to be able to build more or less exactly what I like, when I like, without needing to faff about.....Which rather begs the question "Why do my builds always seem to involve so much faffing about?".  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nice collection, I've gone a bit Modelcollect crazy too. These are just the T-80 kits (I've added a couple more to that pile recently) and there a similar one for the T-64 and another for the T-72. There's a bigger pile of random stuff too.

2HS1U55.jpg

This is an interesting one, I think the very first T-80 kit, A resin 35th one from a UK company Miltra who made training ID models back in the 1980s. By today's standards it's terrible in both accuracy and quality of the parts, but a real nostalgia item for me!

DYa0l8g.jpg

• Like 3

Glad to see I'm not alone in my MC habit.....I've mostly stuck to one each for the Modelcollect stuff, but I do have a couple of T-72AVs and T-72B1s and I will have a couple of MAZ-7410/CHZMAP-9990 & T-80BVs (got one of each already and the combo-kit is top of my wish list with @Duncan BB)

IMHO Modelcollect are what Dragon once were, before they went stark staring mad!  :mental:

£15(ish) in Braille with Modelcollect (reckon the picture speaks for itself):

0000097_russian-t-80uk-main-battle-tank.

Or £20(ish) in Braille with Dragon (so finely detailed they won't post the actual parts on their website):

B_DRA7523_02.jpg

You decide folks!  :rolleyes:

• Like 3